Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Gauchos into a bed

Does anyone know if Airstream ever intended the twin gaucho/dinette to convert into a bed? The table in my '66 TW is hinged and apparently never intended to 'bridge' between the gauchos to convert to a bed. What do some of you early Sreamers do?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I am not sure... but I can't recall seeing any in any vintage trailers... but then lots of the vintage Airstreams didn't have that kind of design. I would look at the vintage trailer website and check through the pics and the layout sketches that are visible on some models/years.

http://vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

We have a 1963 Bambi and have a table that is "portable" (original). The table folds similar to an ironing table, but just a bit different in dimensions. Two can sit and eat reasonably well, the table stores in the closet.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Does anyone know if Airstream ever intended the twin gaucho/dinette to convert into a bed? The table in my '66 TW is hinged and apparently never intended to 'bridge' between the gauchos to convert to a bed. What do some of you early Sreamers do?

Neil
Hi Neil,

In our '64 22' Safari, we have an attached dinette table (has 1 extra leaf) that sits over a cabinet and between 2 sofa/twin beds on the side walls...they sit on a platform that pull out to form a bed..part of the bed is under the table.I don't think the table was meant to be a platform to bridge the twin beds, though.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi Neil,

...they sit on a platform that pull out to form a bed..part of the bed is under the table.I don't think the table was meant to be a platform to bridge the twin beds, though.
I do not quite understand......is the platform to make the bed stored 'behind' the dropped table against the wall under the front window?
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
I do not quite understand......is the platform to make the bed stored 'behind' the dropped table against the wall under the front window?
Neil.
Neil, the platform is just the twin bed(s) bottom plank of wood that extends out from the side walls to make the beds wider..there is no platform behind the front window in our Safari..sorry for the confusion
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Neil, the platform is just the twin bed(s) bottom plank of wood that extends out from the side walls to make the beds wider..there is no platform behind the front window in our Safari..sorry for the confusion
Oh; No I thought I must have been missing the 'proper' planks for the gaucho/bed conversion. The PO called my attention to 2 planks stored under the twin mattresses (in addition to the sliding plywood mattress supports) to be used to create the bridge between the gauchos for a bed. We have not tried it out ourselves yet but it should work although to me it is a clumsy solution. I am curious to what Airstream 'planned' to create that bed. Surely it must be better than the planks under the mattresses.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 11-18-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Oh; No I thought I must have been missing the 'proper' planks for the gaucho/bed conversion. The PO called my attention to 2 planks stored under the twin mattresses (in addition to the sliding plywood mattress supports) to be used to create the bridge between the gauchos for a bed. We have not tried it out ourselves yet but it should work although to me it is a clumsy solution. I am curious to what Airstream 'planned' to create that bed. Surely it must be better than the planks under the mattresses.
Neil.
My Bambi has those planks stored under the gaucho for use in converting it to a bed. Works nicely but the planks are made out of very thin plywood and bend easily. I'm thinking of replacing them soon.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
My Bambi has those planks stored under the gaucho for use in converting it to a bed. Works nicely but the planks are made out of very thin plywood and bend easily. I'm thinking of replacing them soon.
The planks in ours are a 7 ply paper covered plywood that is 5/8" thick. Plenty strong and a little heavy. I work(ed) [retired] with MDF (MEDIUM DENSITY FIBER) a lot. It is primarily a cabinet making material. It is very heavy but a 'feather' weight version is available. A 5/8" thick piece(s) will work for you. The surfaces are smooth so the 'raw' MDF will be ok. My plywood is fine other than clumsy pulling it out and carrying them up front. I think I will cut a hand hold in the center of each boards edge so they can be carried like a suitcase. The ply is smooth but MDF is much smoother. I guess this thread has answered my question. I am disappointed that the Airstream designers mussed this one up. Hopefully the new units have a more professional design answer to a simple application. Like many SOBs utilize the dinet table for that conversion.

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid