Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Formaldehyde

Anyone know of any AS formaldehyde issues?

ABC News "Buries" RV Industry

In an article titled "Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers", an ABC News reporter aptly describes how the toxic chemical used in cabinetry can cause respiratory distress - and even cancer.

JD Gallant, co-founder of RV Consumer Group, wrote about the harmful effects of formaldehyde in the 1980's. It is amazing to us that the RV industry is still using such a known carcinogen when building structures that, for whatever the reasons, thousands of consumers are using as temporary or permanent homes. This is yet another proof of how the RV industry has remained largely unregulated - and avoiding the standards set for manufactured homes.

Please read the article and share it with friends, family, and RV forums. Be sure to add your comments at the end of the article and, please, thank ABC and reporter Susan Donaldson James for such a well-written and informative article.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Heal th/story?id=3240532&page=1

If you have experienced, or are currently experiencing, any problems with formaldehyde issues in your new RV, please let us know.

Thank you,

Connie Gallant
President

Connie Gallant, President RV CONSUMER GROUP
email: staff@rv.org
phone: 360-765-3846
web: http://rv.org

Forward email

This email was sent to henw@msn.com, by staff@rv.org
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Email Marketing by

RV CONSUMER GROUP | PO Box 520 | Quilcene | WA | 98376-0520
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I can personally say from experiences..that..Between an brand new Airstream and, another SOB brand (it shall remain nameless unless you pm me) that arrived at a RV dealership..The SOB were always filled heaven high with an formaldehyde like fume. So powerful in fact that, it would almost knock you out. The solution to the problem in all cases was to vent the unit for several day. That would take care of the worse of it. None of the AS that I personally inspected ever had anything close to the same level as the other SOB brand unit.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This topic came up as recently as last weekend. I've been around one story a TV investigative team was going skyrockets over. There was no expose to be had once they realized the populist view had been thoroughly researched by the profession involved. The reporter got the scoop from a professor friend of mine while motioning the crew to take down the lights and tripods.

Search the forums on formaldehyde -- this has been talked about in a number of ways. I suspect most of the 'new car smell' is from plasticizers in the roll flooring.

Somebody posted last weekend that there's formaldehyde in beer. That IS scary. But also turns out not to be a problem ... whew! Beer myths: formaldehyde, gay boycott, Mexican pee, gun control

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Leave your Airstream closed for 2-3 months, then go inside. There are strong fumes that when kept closed for a while build up. Burns the eyes, and throat. Now keep in mind I have a Safari without real wood like the Classics FWIW.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
caution

Don't drink Mekong whiskey inside or near it. Formaldahyde was reported to be a major ingrediant. Only a few of us will understand this.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I hear ya Mel'

This just in! (from Wikipedia): "Small amounts of formaldehyde are produced as a metabolic byproduct in most organisms, including humans." Air out your Airstream and camping partner if they've been baking in the sun.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Melody Ranch. Karma to ya!! I still remember Mekong whisky. sampled some a few months ago at a Brit friends house. Local San Miguel and Vietnamese bom-de-boms (33's) also contain a lot of formaldehyde! Airstreams (esp classics) don't!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Moosehead Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Don't drink Mekong whiskey inside or near it. Formaldahyde was reported to be a major ingrediant. Only a few of us will understand this.
and for the great head on a Moosehead.