Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
faux walnut cabinet and paneling repair material located

I've been looking for some laminate sheets or paneling to make cabinet doors, tambour door replacements, etc. in my 1974 Land Yacht.
The original cabinets, tambours, etc. in my trailer are composed of a variety of plastics, paneling, and other materials in a faux walnut color and wood grain. Recently I found some material at a Home Depot that looks very, very close with respect to color and wood grain to the surfaces in my trailer. The material is a Bruce brand manufactured flooring (5.2" planks) in Light Walnut (model L0124). Since it's not real wood the price is very reasonable. It is a special order item and I am awaiting delivery. I think it will be a great material for doing some much-needed repairs in my project Airstream.
bhutch74ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I'm in the same boat as you but I haven't been able to find a close enough color match. Good luck and how about some before and after pictures.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you but I haven't been able to find a close enough color match. Good luck and how about some before and after pictures.
I think you will agree that the color and pattern match is excellent if your trailer is of similar vintage (1974). I'll try to figure out how to post pictures of this phase of the project. I don't care for the original tambour-style cabinet doors so I am planning to convert these to sliders and/or hinged doors in the light walnut color. It looks like this click-lock flooring material can be worked with power tools and should be easy to "glue up" for larger panels (doors, shelves, etc.). When I bought my trailer all of the plastic tambours were falling apart due to the heat and U.V. they had been subjected to in the Arizona desert for many years.
bhutch74ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhutch74ly

I think you will agree that the color and pattern match is excellent if your trailer is of similar vintage (1974). I'll try to figure out how to post pictures of this phase of the project. I don't care for the original tambour-style cabinet doors so I am planning to convert these to sliders and/or hinged doors in the light walnut color. It looks like this click-lock flooring material can be worked with power tools and should be easy to "glue up" for larger panels (doors, shelves, etc.). When I bought my trailer all of the plastic tambours were falling apart due to the heat and U.V. they had been subjected to in the Arizona desert for many years.
I'm going to look up the product code to see if it's a match for my As. I have a 77 with the dark wood. I'm ok with the tambour in my trailer and only the under sink tambour is damage from the counter coming loose.it works now and with some silicon applied opens and closes like butter.
Don't forget to offer your old stuff here on forums, I'm sure someone needs bits and pieces.
Thanks for the info.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote