Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Drawer slides

OK cabinet makers or anyone else who can offer some good information on drawer slides, I need some help.
I am trying to fix a set of drawer slides that are missing a few ball bearings and but the bigger issue is that the will not keep the closed during transit.
I have looked at the various web sites and big box stores and cannot seem to find the proper drawer slide that would be good for a trailer.
Everything I have found does not have any provision for staying closed.

This drawer is down low in a the dinette (94' 30 ft classic). It typically stores food and sometimes heavy can goods.

The next two pictures depict the ramp and tab that help keep the drawer closed. To open the drawer it must be slightly lifted up and then pulled out. I have tried to bend the tab around a bit but it doesn't seem to bite the drawer properly.
Any advice?

The next question has to do with a small drawer under the refrigerator that typically carries light weight items. I have replaced the plastic part on the bottom of the drawer but it always seems to be open when we arrive at our destination. There is no way to keep the drawer shut like the other drawers.
Again, can you recommend any a drawer slide to overcome the opening issue? I can modify the drawer as necessary.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Everything I have found does not have any provision for staying closed.
Instead of expecting the drawer slides to hold the drawers closed, you might consider investing in a set of keyed-alike file drawer locks, and add locks to your drawers. Lock them closed for transit, unlock them for camping.

Easy to install; see for a quick-and-dirty demo.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Do you have any inside rivets popping, or are partitions pulling away from the ceiling? Are your tires balanced and are the axels in good shape? Maybe the trailer is being bounced around more then it should because of a bad suspension.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Do you have any inside rivets popping, or are partitions pulling away from the ceiling? Are your tires balanced and are the axels in good shape? Maybe the trailer is being bounced around more then it should because of a bad suspension.
No rivets popping. Axles have just a few more years and we are using centramatics.

None of the other drawers have this problem so I believe it's more of a hardware issue with the slides being worn out and I would like to improve the small drawer slide.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'm installing self closing drawer slides as we rebuild Little Girl. They kept the drawers closed in our two outings with her last fall. I bought them at Rockler, but had this website recommended by Aerowood as having a larger selection and better prices: Cabinet Hardware & Hinges - Woodworkers Supply | WWHardware

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks for the link. I searched and did find a product specifically for rv's. Now I will have to measure and see if this drawer/cabinet has enough clearance to change from a bottom mount to a side mount. It is the KV 8400.

Full extension RV drawer slides w/stay-close - Woodworker's Hardware
WBCCI # 3072
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
The KV 8400 is a nice slide, but it's only mechanism for holding drawers closed is a rubber fitting at the back. It may work, but it is kind of light duty. In my 2005 CCD they used the same catch on the drawers as on doors. I installed a new drawer and used this catch as well. It worked well.

Push Open RV Cabinet Latch
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
child proof locks

I used these magnetic locks on the drawers I installed in the kitchen. They lock when closed and are opened with a magnet key. You can also deactivate the lock while parked. They work great.

Cabinet Locks: Magnetic Tot Lok Starter Set - KidSafe Child Safety
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I have a big sliding drawer with 2 recycling bins in it. I had to put a pin in from the inside of the cabinet next to it to lock it when traveling. It has worked great.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote