Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Doing the countertop lean

My countertop in my 76 MH seem to be leaning into the back corner. How difficult is it to rise this back to level. Is is a matter of removing the oven or would you go from under the oven? Thought this was normal until I turned around when I was driving and noticed that the countertop was shaking and shimmering. Had to bring this burning question to the masses. Any help would be appreciated Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!
Tom
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Tom,

I have replaced 2 counter tops on both my 76 and my 78 MH. The base is made of plywood, but the back-splash is particle board. The back edge of the counter is resting on/screwed to a large L shaped piece of aluminum that is screwed to the wall. The stove and its weight, resting near the rear wheels tends to walk the screws out of the wall. They are just in the inside sheeting. There should also be screws that go through the end wall next to the stove and into the edge of the wood substrate of the counter top.

In order to get to the ones behind the stove you will need to be VERY limber, or you need to remove the stove, and cut access holes in the metal heat shield that the stove sits in. The heat shield is installed before the counter is placed, bit somehow they get the screws in there??

If you are going to the bother of removing the stove, and getting access it is not that much harder to remove the counter top completely and make a new one. SAVE the edging that is on the original if possible. The aluminum band comes in handy to maintain a thin built up edge on the new counter top. A new sink and faucet and you are set!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote