Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
calgary , canada
does anyone have dimensions for gaucho?

I`m missing the gaucho in our 64 ambassador and would like to replace it as close as I can. Can anyone help with this?. I need a little more than the plan that I found on vintage airstream website. I found the slides at lee valley tools, even the measurements of the 3 top pieces of a double would be greatly appreciated.
Jane
happycamp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Are you referring to these plans?
http://www.vintageairstream.com/Images/sofa2.gif
Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wink Do you really have a Goucho in your AS?

Is there really a Gaucho in your Airstream?

A Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaścho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Depending on your gender & marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but I have found neither in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
I don't know about you, but I would be delighted to discover a young female dancer in my rig. While some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my Excella.
The mere mention on the forum, of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would spark a passionate debate on axel replacement, frame stress, drum brakes vs disk, tire pressures, & Goodyear Marathons. Therefore, if I found a sports team in my Excella, I'd PM a moderator first.

Gaścho
, a person born in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul
No Portuguese speaking natives popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho Gaucho were not found cowering in the outside compartments, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.

Now despite my best efforts, I have not found a Gaucho in my Airstream. What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho!

Michael
Artist at Large

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamp100
I`m missing the gaucho in our 64 ambassador and would like to replace it as close as I can. Can anyone help with this?.
Jane
Sorry, I don't have dimensions, but I can show you some pictures of the gaucho we removed from our '64 GlobeTrotter. Basically, it was all scribed to the walls so any dimensions you get would vary because of the unique nature of the curves of your trailer.

Gaucho

The most surprising thing is how light weight and minimalistic it was. It's very easy to want to over-build it. The floor tiles in the picture are 9x9 if that helps extrapolate the dimensions, but if you have the cushion dimensions, that helps too.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #5

1953 17' Clipper
1963 28' Ambassador
Sparta , Wisconsin
I have a 1963 Ambassador if you think the measurement would be the same I can take them for you and get you some pictures
Dave
1953Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I had to rebuild the gaucho in my '59 to squeeze in a slightly larger water tank. I found the face frame was cracked right in the center.

Bad design to have three drawers under three slides.

You might want to design it with four slides/table extension rails, that are centered over the plywood dividers. If the slide is right over the drawer opening, the face fame is more likely to crack.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
calgary , canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberphotos View Post
Are you referring to these plans?
http://www.vintageairstream.com/Images/sofa2.gif
Yes those are the plans, it states that it is a twin. I am missing the front fold out and I`m assuming it was a double. I am not a carpenter!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
calgary , canada
Sadly, I wore gaucho`s in grade school, we can only hope they don`t come back in style!

Shari, your pictures really helped, I`ll admit I was thinking more along the lines if a 2 x 4 frame, but it looks as though they are mostly 1 x 2`s.

Dave, do you have the front foldout? is it a double? If so, I would really appreciate any info you could supply. I would think a 63 and 64 were fairly similar.

Mark ,do you think 2 slides would work if I (somehow) positioned them over the plywood dividers. Weight is not a concern for me as it will be parked. So maybe I should use 2 x 4`s for the frame. Any ideas? Do I really need the glides if I have a stong frame,

Ok maybe I shouldn`t have trashed the futon yet!

Jane
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Glad my pictures helped ~

NDo yourself a favor, use 1x2's and 1/4" plywood...not 2x4's. The 2x4's are much too bulky...you don't need that much support, it's secured to the walls too and very stable. And besides, you never know, you (or the next owner? ) may want to travel more in the future. Build it like the factory did...light weight, you'll be happy you did.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Jane,

Two glides might work if your guests are on the light side. If you use two slides, I would add some fold-down legs to hold up the weight when the bed is extended. If all the weight is cantilevered on two slides it will put still more stress on the frame, even if they are located above the plywood dividers.

I agree not to use 2x4 for framing. I stuck with 1x2 and beefed it up with strips of plywood.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
calgary , canada
What type of wood was used in the original? any idea, I would think it was fir since that is the plywood used in mine, which is harder than spruce. I don`t know if the standard spruce 1x2`s would be strong enough. The plywood is a great idea. i will do that , thanks everyone.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I would guess it was just fir or birch...nothing special. The veneer on the exposed surfaces on ours is oak...most likely is on yours too.

Shari

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Is there really a Gaucho in your Airstream?

A Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaścho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Depending on your gender & marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but I have found neither in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!
  • Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
I don't know about you, but I would be delighted to discover a young female dancer in my rig. While some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my Excella.
The mere mention on the forum, of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would spark a passionate debate on axel replacement, frame stress, drum brakes vs disk, tire pressures, & Goodyear Marathons. Therefore, if I found a sports team in my Excella, I'd PM a moderator first.

Gaścho, a person born in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul
No Portuguese speaking natives popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho Gaucho were not found cowering in the outside compartments, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.

Now despite my best efforts, I have not found a Gaucho in my Airstream. What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho!

Michael
Artist at Large

Not to burst your bubble...but gauchos are also worn by fat chicks as "comfort clothes" - I know because I've been known to own a pair or two, and am a "recovering fat chick"-did lapband surgery 3 years ago and have dropped 125 pounds! It's not all young hot dancers hehe.
SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote