Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I wonder if the road conditions are contributing to this issue? If flex continues, it may be better to disconnect the vertical from the wall and allow the trailer walls to move.

Another idea would be to use a spring loaded connection to allow for movement but still be connected or a small rubber isolator with bolt connections on both ends and rubber in the middle. This way you are not fighting with the flex but working with it.

With our Sport, we have taken it out about a dozen times now and still donít see any stress at the problem connection. Our road surfaces are quite smooth which I am sure helps minimize any issues.

We are using a 2019 Honda Ridgeline to tow and it is quite a smooth/compliant vehicle. We have what some would say is a very stiff WDH and usually run with 65 PSI cold in the tires. The tires go up to over 70 psi while moving.

We havenít had any rivets pop in our trailer. There is one hole in the closet where they drilled a hole but and missed the structure so they left the rivet out. It only bothers us when we open the closet! They probably had to go for lunch!
Yes, the road conditions certainly aggravate the situation, this particular loose connection was ok for the previous two camping seasons and only got noticeable after our cross country trek (8500km) this year and some rough side roads in Manitoba. I'm concerned in leaving the vertical panel move too much as we lean against it when sitting in the dinette area which flexes the bottom dinette bench which I read is prone to letting go. I will try a bigger screw with an additional bracket on the side.

I pull the AS with a F150 and Husky Center Line TS (which I regret now because of its weight) which is a bit stiff for the light 22FB Sport, and keep the tires at 70psi cold. The stiffness probably aggravates the road conditions. I pop a few rivets every season along the typical spot, along the arches near the front and near the door.
duboismjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by duboismjjp View Post
I will try a bigger screw with an additional bracket on the side.
I can only speak for my situation but after dealing with this issue pretty much all of last season and this one, I'm pretty sure the cause was the bench insufficiently fastened at the base (staples only) which resulted in the whole piece of furniture tugging at the screw in the wall during travel.

Eventually, it broke loose. By putting brackets inside the furniture by the wheel well, it secured the piece. However the screw kept pulling out. The issue there, I believe, was how the hole had been enlarged meaning the screw had nothing to bite to. By using a screw a point larger and dipping it in JB Weld, it essentially resealed the screw hole. The whole thing hasn't budget in several trips.

But that's just my solution to my version of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboismjjp View Post
I pull the AS with a F150 and Husky Center Line TS (which I regret now because of its weight) which is a bit stiff for the light 22FB Sport, and keep the tires at 70psi cold. The stiffness probably aggravates the road conditions. I pop a few rivets every season along the typical spot, along the arches near the front and near the door.
Bad roads, stiff TV suspension and too firm of a hitch will exacerbate wear and tear even to solid trailer components well put together. However, in this situation, I believe the root cause is the a design or assembly issue.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #43

2021 22' Bambi
Susanville , California
this looks to be a common problem with the dining benches

There is not much holding the dining benches together besides these little staples. I plan to replace the staples with some glue and screws.

The old Airstream trailers we had in the past seemed to be better built. We bought this one new last April. Despite the fact that it's less than a year old, I have already made several "upgrades".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back pulled away from dining bench.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	410381   Click image for larger version

Name:	only staples holding back on dining bench.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	410382  

DaveSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSeiler View Post
There is not much holding the dining benches together besides these little staples. I plan to replace the staples with some glue and screws.

The old Airstream trailers we had in the past seemed to be better built. We bought this one new last April. Despite the fact that it's less than a year old, I have already made several "upgrades".
My only advice, and it may sound odd, is that you shouldn't tie things down too much. When I first fixed the bench, I fastened it too much and it caused other stresses during travel (the wood trim that connects floor and bench together cracked). I would reco securing the bench pieces together securely and tightly but I would ensure there is some flex possible in the connection to the floor. In my case, that meant screwing one of the two wood trims and going with staples on the other. Hasn't budged since or caused other damage.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote