Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
westlake village , California
curved under sink cabinet doors

My 2017 FC has the curved under sink cabinet. have had trouble from day one with the screws in the door hinges coming out. took it to the dealer and their solution was bigger screws which just left a bigger hole when they fell out. they also slightly penetrated the decorative outside of the cabinet. they could only offer to completely replace the bottom cabinet but with no guarantee that would work and very expensive because of course it was out of warranty. called Airstream and they blew me off so I had to find a fix myself. I have if anyone is interested. I am not including the fix now because it is simple but lengthy to write. if anyone is in need of a fix reply to the forum and I will describe what I did. if handy with tools at all you can do it yourself.
goneupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Individual fixes are always interesting reads and may come in handy sometime down the road. Why re-invent the wheel when somebody has already done so. Thanks
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Indeed. Please post.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Another vote to go ahead and post.

We’ve been struggling with these hinges for quite some time, including the last few weeks. We’ve replaced the hinges and now put a small strap between the door handles during transit to avoid finding a mess when we get to our destination.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Trempealeau , Wisconsin
Tooth picks

Break off tooth picks and fill the screw hole with the broken tooth picks and Elmer’s glue. Re attach the hinge. Worked for me.
twrastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Orcs

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Winthrop , Washington
Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneupnorth View Post
My 2017 FC has the curved under sink cabinet. have had trouble from day one with the screws in the door hinges coming out. took it to the dealer and their solution was bigger screws which just left a bigger hole when they fell out. they also slightly penetrated the decorative outside of the cabinet. they could only offer to completely replace the bottom cabinet but with no guarantee that would work and very expensive because of course it was out of warranty. called Airstream and they blew me off so I had to find a fix myself. I have if anyone is interested. I am not including the fix now because it is simple but lengthy to write. if anyone is in need of a fix reply to the forum and I will describe what I did. if handy with tools at all you can do it yourself.
please post your fix for all of us to try...thanks
orcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by twrastall View Post
Break off tooth picks and fill the screw hole with the broken tooth picks and Elmer’s glue. Re attach the hinge. Worked for me.
Those doors are foam cored, not plywood or even particle board. Ditto for the curved overhead doors on the Safari/Flying Cloud models. I saw some damaged ones at JC and the skin was maybe 1/16" at most. I now own an Eddie Bauer so this is not something I have direct experience dealing with, but I am guessing that moving the current hinges and perhaps adding another hinge to the doors might work. I would also consider filling the existing screw holes with epoxy (rather than toothpicks and Elmer's glue) would work at least for a short time. I'd epoxy the back of the hinge to the door to give additional surface and strength to the fix.

And OK, I AM a bit nuts, but gluing a thin wood or metal furring strip to the back of the door and then setting the hinges into that strip could work too. I have several metal rulers I could sacrifice for that. Of course to keep the doors from binding when closed, the hinges would need to be readjusted, or the back of the hinge might need to be raised with another furring strip or washers.

Definitely the doors need to be secured while traveling too. Tiny bungee, etc.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Those doors are foam cored, not plywood or even particle board.
I have the curved doors on the galley cabinet below the sink on my 2017 International. When you look at the top edge of the door you can see the plywood layers so they appear to be solid plywood (no foam core) to me. The same is true of the curved cabinet doors in the lavatory.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
To keep things from banging around under the kitchen sink while traveling (which can dislodge and loosen plumbing fittings), I bought a bunch of differently-sized clear storage containers from BB&B and spent an hour fitting them into the rounded shelves (sort of like a puzzle) to maximize storage (and then returned the rest). I then placed the plastic shelf liner under them, thinking that would keep the boxes from sliding around. It didn't. So I then used adhesive putty to keep the shelf liner from sliding around beneath the boxes but the boxes still slid around. Finally, I placed adhesive putty at the corner of every box and stuck them on top of the shelf liner and that formula has kept everything neatly seated and in place, even on the bumpiest rides. I also use strips of duct tape to keep those 2 rounded doors closed while traveling (and on the sliding overhead kitchen cabinets). Anything to avoid stress to fixtures, electronics, hinges, etc.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I have the curved doors on the galley cabinet below the sink on my 2017 International. When you look at the top edge of the door you can see the plywood layers so they appear to be solid plywood (no foam core) to me. The same is true of the curved cabinet doors in the lavatory.
On the international they may be plywood, though curved ply is expensive to make. On the Safari/Flying Cloud circa 2005-2009 they are definitely foam core. Only way to be sure is remove a hinge and look. I could be wrong, but if there is a less costly way to do something.... Thor will usually do it.

Paula
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #11
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	F47DA473-51E2-4DCD-A694-E42E78BC4AFC.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	319038

Name:	B6425756-7EB3-48F6-9BFC-9EB73D7196B8.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	319039

Name:	C20AE9F0-26EC-4C7C-AD91-CD5E5007F20F.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	319040

My problem has been the wear of the brass latch PCs on the curved doors under the sink. They have popped open several times while traveling. We will be using a non-scratching strap to keep it closed.

- already tried adjusting the spring tension on the latches.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Velcro type straps work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastening-Yiw...70_&dpSrc=srch
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Forest , Illinois
Gorilla glued in the white plastic screw sockets and all fine since.
kjbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lansdale , Pennsylvania
The very first thing we did upon bringing Gloria home, our 27FB Flying Cloud was to secure both handles. It is a wonderful but delicate situation for cabinet doors.
tommym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
'16 Intl 25FB...

Same hinge problem. Did the quick fix. The doors still close and stay closed. To help in less stress when we first arrive at a destination we open the doors once, then just close them from then on without 'clicking' them shut. This prevents excess strain on the hinges. We use doors as needed but by not clicking I think it prolongs the arrival of the problem.
No fix I know but it will make the hinges last longer.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Goneupnorth, please post your simple fix so we can see all ways everyone fixes this issue.

Our trip back home with our new 2018 FC also had the left under sink curved door loose both screws. Door was secured shut but we did a twisty, slightly bumpy road to campsite (paved) so perhaps that helped pop the screws. Our dealer/AS warranty was to send us a new hinge though we have never received it. At the time we thought hinge was broken but now see we really only need one screw.

As precaution we now use medium size gear ties to keep both the doors under kitchen and bathroom sink closed. And also do not completely latch kitchen sink doors when not traveling.

Regarding storage under the sink. Since we have only done trips under 1 week I have only stored single rolls of paper towels in the upper shelf to avoid things banging the door open, this was all that was in there when it lost the screws. I put all “cleaners/dish soaps” into the lined trash receptacle below sink as the cutout holding the plastic trash receptacle prevents it from hitting the door.

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	320553
Alces2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Our sink cabinet and our wardrobe doors kept coming open. Velcro straps solved that:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velcro sink.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	320555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velcro wardrobe.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	320556  

RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
"Piano Hinges... WORK"

Our cure for our 2006 23 foot Safari was simple and never had an issue. This was posted more than four or five years ago. Nancy was reading this Thread and said I should say something... again, maybe I should not, but will anyways.

I like the curved doors, but the first day towing the trailer home, one was laying on the floor...

I used two 'piano strip hinges'. Removed the original hinges that are held together by two small screws, or the larger screws that hold the hinges onto the door, but do not for... very long.

The strip hinges will not fail. The screws have not backed out. Maybe twenty or more screws secure the hinges to the edge of the doors. Buy the length you need, even if a bit short... I believe it was the smaller width that Lowe's sells I used.

We do tie the front handles together with a rope or bungie chord. This replacement worked 100%, was simple to install and I am not a cabinet maker.

I have also done this on hinges in our 25 foot International.

Recently I posted the spare small screws you will need when a cabinet door comes loose and bangs into other cabinets on the way down to the floor. They are so small you will not be able to find one rolling across the floor...

If anyone is interested, I can take a photograph of a piano hinge in our current trailer. They work. Not original, but why repeat the process of jury rigging the original hinge, when you can fix it... permanently.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #19

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Quality of cabinets

Greetings. First ever post but wanted to add my 2 cents to the thread. We bought a 2018 FB FC in March and have had the latch screws strip out of 3 different cabinets/doors while riding down the highway.

Seems to me that the problem is one of the following:

1. Less dense cabinet material that allows the screw to strip out under the minor shaking that occurs going down the road

2. The screws do not have enough exposed thread or purchase into the material

My dealer repair shop was happy to suggest the match/toothpick repair but my question remains, "Why is this happening?" We only have 6K miles in towing the AS and it is 5 months old. When I asked if AS was aware of a problem the response was that they would be when my shop reported it...

Will we have any hardware screwed in after a year?

Just wondering....
chasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Piano Hinges... work and look good

chasman, welcome to the right place to ask questions... you will also get very good at replacing 'wood screws', sooner than later.

For those who may be interested, I took several photographs of our 'under sink' cabinet hardware. Airstream should immediately go to piano hinges. It would resolve a common complaint and if you have not already discovered the hinges are not dependable... you will.

Some drawers also need to be secured, but that would be another Thread. After 12 years tinkering on our Airstreams, I am getting it figured out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5469.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	320572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5470.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	320573