Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

1993 34' Excella
Whitehouse , Texas
Couch Area

I just bought a '93 Excella and the first owner took out the couch. I noticed that in the area where the couch is supposed to sit are the two batteries (one is fairly high off the ground). Do I need to order a custom couch that has clearance from the floor to the bottom of the couch or that has an open back?
Erica.Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Excella.
Another option is to wait until someone else around here pulls out their gaucho and get it from them. Keep an eye on the classifieds. Although the gauchos are often said to be uncomfortable by many owners (some opt for dual recliners or couches), they offer sleeping space, have some storage below, and they are lighter weight than a couch you would buy.
Good luck,
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I also have a 1993 Limited with 2 recliners which I like better than the couch - just my idea.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Me too!

The front couch/sofa/sleeper was removed for whatever reason. I have two built in battery compartments, an inverter and a converter in that front area to be hidden behind the replacement sofa. I can't seem to find a replacement (reasonable) on Craigs List, Ebay or here. A standard sofa won't work.....the batteries. Shipping is killing anything I do find.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Shipping is killing anything I do find.
Yes, that's the real problem for me, too.

That and the fact that my DW purchased new covers for the two Ikea bed/chairs that the PO put in place of the gaucho. She "owns" them now, due to that, and isn't interested in the handy storage that a gaucho would afford...

Wonder why so many owners remove ant throw away the original gaucho? Surely re-upholstering with modest new fabric could cost as much as new chairs?