Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Cost to build new cabinets???

Hi All,

I am having sticker shock! Please give me some feedback. I am having the cabinets and dinette built into my 25' Tradewind. We are completely replacing the cabinets around the stove and sink on one side. This will include a counter top of course. On the other side we are replacing the cabinetry surrounding the fridge (it is a the taller style) and the pantry right next to it. The pantry will have slide outs. We are also building a dinette with storage benches. When I say 'we' I mean I am paying to have this done. My friend the cabinet maker just gave me an estimate of around $2000 for labor. Does that seem to be within reason? Having never done this before, I really have no idea. This is a long time friend of mine, so I am not worried that he would try to screw me... maybe as he says it is the 'complexity' that will make it take lots of time and drive up the cost.

What do you think? Thanks (as always) Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don't forget they are custom made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
... My friend the cabinet maker just gave me an estimate of around $2000 for labor. Does that seem to be within reason?
Yes.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I'm in process of doing the same thing. $2000 for a professional build and install sounds good to me. My research shows I will spend about $1400 on materials alone. Good Luck.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Tom and Gary, I should clarify. The $2000 is labor only. Does that change anyones opinion? We have estimated around $300 for the maple and maple ply, drawer glides etc. I have not factored in the counter top materials yet, because I can't decide! Any thoughts here?

So, is $2000 still reasonable for labor only? Pam

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ask him about how many hours of work it will take for each section?

Then figure the hourly rate

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Ask him about how many hours of work it will take for each section?

Then figure the hourly rate
Hi Bob, I will ask if that is how he got to the $2000. So lets say each of the three sections cost me $700. If he spent 20 hours on each section, that would be $35/hour. Is that a reasonable amount of time? and rate?

Thank you for helping me think this through....
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Without seeing a pic of the interior I don't know,
but at that rate it would be 9 or 10 days of work.

Since you have the old cabinets to get templates from the new cabinets shouldn't take maybe two days to frame out, post a pic for a better opinion.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
As a cabinet maker that is very reasonable.$300.00 sounds a little on the low side for maple and hardware alone.If he is building quality doors and boxes for you, kiss him twice when you thank him.Also dont forget about a good finish.If I had the place to do it I would love to due a few from time to time.Good luck sounds like that will be very nice.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro
As a cabinet maker that is very reasonable.$300.00 sounds a little on the low side for maple and hardware alone.If he is building quality doors and boxes for you, kiss him twice when you thank him.Also dont forget about a good finish.If I had the place to do it I would love to due a few from time to time.Good luck sounds like that will be very nice.

I just had to chime in on this one. I am also a cabinetmaker and as such I totally agree with "bertro" I am about to get into redoing my own 31 footer's cabinetry. $300.00 is low for material. If he is your friend then you should not press him too much as he may disside then it may not be worth the trouble. This is one reason why I do not like working for "friends". How many "Surgeons" or "Lawers" do you know that would cut their rate for you because you"re "Friends". Remmeber your cabinetmaker friend earns his living by building cabinets. These cabinets are custom one off cabinets and must be fitted to walls that are cuvred and not square or plum. At $2000.00 for labor you are getting a deal.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I am in the process of rebuilding the entire interior of my Safari. If the quality is there then $2000 is a good deal. I used to build boats, and the interior of an Airstream is even more difficult and time-consuming to make decent fits. I would just smile and ask him what he drinks and buy him a bonus upon completion.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks LI Pets, Bertro, Saablover, and Samb for chiming in. Maybe we are low on the supply estimate... I am not expecting my friend to cut his rate, and as I said I know he won't charge me more than he thinks it is worth. I just needed some unbiased opinions. Now I can understand how good he is being to me.... I will try to post some 'before' pictures....
Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The $2000 sounds reasonable for the labor to me too....the curves & uniqueness of the interior is a challenge...even for the pros. The $300 for materials seems light...unless he is getting the materials from wholesale suppliers or may be using up some stock from his shop.

I would just be sure the new cabinets are built light-weight like the existing ones and don't add too much weight to the trailer. If you look at the cabinets in vintage trailers, the plywood and frames are smaller/lighter weight than "normal" cabinets - it may seem flimsy to a pro, but the added weight could create problems down the road for you.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Shari, He will be using plywood mostly. Solid maple on the cabinet doors and drawers... I hope this will be okay! Pam
Old 03-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Hello Pam,Something you may want to consider,As inside out mentioned is weight.Talk to the cabinetmaker about some of the companys that make extruded aluminum drawer boxes to size.They are very nice and lightweight.When I rework our safari that is probably what I will go with.If your 74's interior is like our 71 replacing existing with hard maple will quad the weight.Just some food for thought.Good day Pam,If you need any info on this product let me know.Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I am redoing a 1975 31' Sovereign...quoted $4,000 to redo all cabinets and credenza from the galley forward...some specialty stuff included such as built in Convection micro and some fancy new drawers...sounded good to me...I know the guys work is great!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
I am redoing a 1975 31' Sovereign...quoted $4,000 to redo all cabinets and credenza from the galley forward...some specialty stuff included such as built in Convection micro and some fancy new drawers...sounded good to me...I know the guys work is great!

G
G, how about some pics of your redo. I am looking for good ideas to procede with mine. How long did it take him? Did he take it to his shop or work on it at your place? I have my own cabinet shop and will start this Spring with my redo.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I am in the process of a taking out all the old cabinetsand redoing all of the plumbing at this point...as soon as I do that I am taking it to his place for the install.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Thanks Shari, He will be using plywood mostly. Solid maple on the cabinet doors and drawers... I hope this will be okay! Pam
If it's 3/16-1/4" plywood with very light framing it should be okay. All I'm suggesting is to compare what you are taking out with what you are putting in...for example - our cabinets do not have backs, so they are much lighter than a "box-style" traditional cabinet. Also, the door fronts are light weight plywood, not solid hardwood. The newer trailers are built to handle these heavy weights (axles) but the older ones weren't.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
If it's 3/16-1/4" plywood with very light framing it should be okay. All I'm suggesting is to compare what you are taking out with what you are putting in...for example - our cabinets do not have backs, so they are much lighter than a "box-style" traditional cabinet. Also, the door fronts are light weight plywood, not solid hardwood. The newer trailers are built to handle these heavy weights (axles) but the older ones weren't.

Shari
Shari, He will be using the old frames as templates... without backs. We had originally planned to use maple plywood for the door fronts. I can't remember how we got to solid maple... I guess we should reconsider. We are also replacing the gaucho in the front with a dinette. I was thinking this would end up being lighter.

Robert, maybe I should consider the aluminum drawer boxes. Do you have a company name?

And another question... does anyone have good ideas for door and drawer lathches? I want the door fronts to have a 'clean line' look. Is there something that latches inside like Tot Locks? Those are latches that lock when you push them shut and a magnet held in front releases the lock. Those are close to what I would like, but I can't imagine having to locate a magnet everytime I want to open something.

Thank you everyone for the discussion. Pam

I just became a 3 Rivet Member with this posting!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
These work great and add some degree of security as well. I am sure your cabinetmaker probably knows about these. You cannot see them from the outside. Once you get the dimension insilation is easy. They a lock and unlock easy as pie and they are not too expensive they work for drawers or doors. I've been using them for years. Mostly for people who have Rugrats. They can be sent to be locked or unlocked. Just by changing the position of the bail on the back of the lock.

Rev-A-Lock Security System