Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
"They can be sent to be locked or unlocked. Just by changing the position of the bail on the back of the lock."

Thanks, SaabLover This is the part I was missing! The ability to disengage when I am working in the kitchen! I think these are perfect. Have you used them in a trailer? Since you are recommending them I am sure you feel like they are strong enough... Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
"They can be sent to be locked or unlocked. Just by changing the position of the bail on the back of the lock."

Thanks, SaabLover This is the part I was missing! The ability to disengage when I am working in the kitchen! I think these are perfect. Have you used them in a trailer? Since you are recommending them I am sure you feel like they are strong enough... Pam
Installed properly you should have no trouble whatsoever. These are made to keep your 40 pound son from getting into your kitchen cabinets when he is pulling with all his might. I use these once on a cabinet I built for 85 foot Berger. Never had any callbacks. One of the cabinets on that boat had a 27 inch analog television in it.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #23
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Cost for Labor....

Especially if he's using real wood, you're getting a deal. If you haven't noticed lately, wood has become extremely expensive since the "war" started. (At least that's the excuse the lumber companies are using)

Just look at what kitchen cabinets cost - Not cheap. Install (labor) is about $1500 to $2000 dollars for the "average" kitchen. Your AS also has the unique angle that kitchens don't have.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Trying to post a picture.

I talked with the cabinet maker today. He had already come to the same conclusion about the door fronts and thinks that maple ply will work better. So I hope that lightens things up!

Now I am going to try again to post a picture. I have been working on this since yesterday... trying to make the picture small enough. If this works, it is a picture of the stove and sink side before....

Yeah!!! it worked! I will try to add some more 'befores'. Hope I don't drive the forum crazy now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove and sink before copy.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	34092  
Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
From what's that pic shows if you pulled out the old and I used them as templates I can rebuild that new in under two work days

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
From what's that pic shows if you pulled out the old and I used them as templates I can rebuild that new in under two work days
Thanks Bob, We are adding an area to the right of the existing cabinet that will be floor to counter top drawers. It will be about 18 inches to the right of cabinet. There will also be drawers where the tamboor was... I am going to try and place an after tearout picture here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove and sink side after tear out copy.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	34097  
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Being in the business, I would say the labor charge is a good deal. Your material estimate is low. Don't skimp on the hardware, things are going to take a lot of bumps and vibration. I would have to agree with the other comments, keep the guy happy. The only other comment I could make is, make sure it gets done within you time frame. I know it sounds hard and cruel, but you don't want it to take 6 - 12 months, it should be done in weeks. Sometimes a job like this is hard on a friendship. T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
Being in the business, I would say the labor charge is a good deal. Your material estimate is low. Don't skimp on the hardware, things are going to take a lot of bumps and vibration. I would have to agree with the other comments, keep the guy happy. The only other comment I could make is, make sure it gets done within you time frame. I know it sounds hard and cruel, but you don't want it to take 6 - 12 months, it should be done in weeks. Sometimes a job like this is hard on a friendship. T
Thanks for commenting... My friend will appreciate that I have gotten my reality checks about the cost for labor here at the forum. He is an excellent craftsman, his work is like art. I had to talk him into doing this because he is phasing out of cabinet building and hoping to spend more time on an art project. I finally convinced him that my Airstream was my piece of art that he would be contributing to! He finally agreed so I have to be extra nice......

We also have an 'end date' because he summers in Minnesota and he needs to be done by the end of May. I will be very careful with the friendship and thanks for the advice. Pam
Old 03-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #29
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Now that you have it torn down, are you going to replace the furnace and replace the water lines with PEX?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Now that you have it torn down, are you going to replace the furnace and replace the water lines with PEX?
I was afraid of that question... only because it makes me so nervous. I did have the trailer into the local Airstream dealership (George Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon) after the 'tear out'. They replaced some copper tubing in front of the furnace. I got really confused about this because I had intended on replacing it all with PEX and they talked me out of it. And after being quoted $1400-$1600 to replace the furnace I decided not to. The service department also suggested that if it was working, why replace it? Have I made a mistake? Pam
Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Why not try a solid frame on the doors with a 1/4" ply flat inside panel. The would be even lighter then 3/4" plywood. I'm sure your cabinetmaker would rather use just straight plywood because it is much easier. I have some samples of Mahogany and Cherry that I could shoot a photo of Monday if you like, I don't have any maple right now. A solid frame door can take more abuse than the ply with edge banning on it. Also by no means pay him all the $$ up front maybe 1/3 to start, 1/3 when he begins to install, and 1/3 at finish. On the outside with finishing no more than 3 weeks that if he takes his time at it.
What kind of finish is he using?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
Why not try a solid frame on the doors with a 1/4" ply flat inside panel. The would be even lighter then 3/4" plywood. I'm sure your cabinetmaker would rather use just straight plywood because it is much easier. I have some samples of Mahogany and Cherry that I could shoot a photo of Monday if you like, I don't have any maple right now. A solid frame door can take more abuse than the ply with edge banning on it. Also by no means pay him all the $$ up front maybe 1/3 to start, 1/3 when he begins to install, and 1/3 at finish. On the outside with finishing no more than 3 weeks that if he takes his time at it.
What kind of finish is he using?
The solid frame with ply inside is something I think he suggested in the beginning. I didn't think I liked the look, because I want a straight clean line. Do you have pictures? I believe he is thinking of 1/2 ply now to keep the weight down (instead of solid). I'll ask about the finish...
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Solid Cherry frame with flat panels. Sorry but are scanned pics I haven't been back to shoot with my digi yet.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
SaabLover, thank you for posting the pictures. Your kitchen is beautiful and I really like the look of the cabinet doors. Pam
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Thank You for your compliment. The panels over the stove and refrigerator have a support that acts like a hydraulic piston it keeps the door propped open for access and gives it a slow positive closing action to keep it closed. I was going to use this on my upper cabinets in my 31 footer when I redo it. All the doors are hung with the European-style hinges that are spring-loaded. I can tell you where to get the door supports for the upper cabinet doors if you need them. The countertop is made with Formica with a cherry solid wood edging.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I just got on this thread.....for whatever it's worth, I am in the furniture restoration business, and also build custom furniture....if your friend can do the labor on that project for $2,000, AND guarentee that you will still have him as a friend when it's complete, GO FOR IT before he changes his mind. My shop rate is $40.00/ hour (cheap), I wouldn't consider the job for less that $3,500, plus materials.
Materials are totally dependant on what you want.....could range from 800 - 900 for cheap looking stuff to a couple of thousand to really go first class.
Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C
I just got on this thread.....for whatever it's worth, I am in the furniture restoration business, and also build custom furniture....if your friend can do the labor on that project for $2,000, AND guarentee that you will still have him as a friend when it's complete, GO FOR IT before he changes his mind. My shop rate is $40.00/ hour (cheap), I wouldn't consider the job for less that $3,500, plus materials.
Materials are totally dependant on what you want.....could range from 800 - 900 for cheap looking stuff to a couple of thousand to really go first class.
Larry C
Thanks for chiming in! I am feeling better and better about this all the time. I will know just how appreciative to be. Thanks, Pam
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #38
Aluminum Plus

1979 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Just completed a partial renovation of a '93 31 ft. Laminate flooring, new sofa and dinnet, curtains and a new countertop and kitchen faucets. Did not do the cabinets. I had to rebuild or repair the bath and bedroom woodwork and cabinets. -- Fitting the curves is not fun --- BUT it looks good when completed. I might consider replacing anything you plan to build around. My experience is that it will stop working as soon as it is covered by anything.
Bill
Silver Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bill
Just completed a partial renovation of a '93 31 ft. Laminate flooring, new sofa and dinnet, curtains and a new countertop and kitchen faucets. Did not do the cabinets. I had to rebuild or repair the bath and bedroom woodwork and cabinets. -- Fitting the curves is not fun --- BUT it looks good when completed. I might consider replacing anything you plan to build around. My experience is that it will stop working as soon as it is covered by anything.
Bill
Great advice. I took the trailer in to the local service guys to look at after all of the cabinets were out. They repaired some plumbing around the kitchen sink area and thought everything else seemed okay. I hope they are right. I have felt a little nervous about not replacing all of the copper pipes with PEX. They also thought my old Suburban furnace would be okay and I decided to go with that once he quoted a new one around $1400! I am sticking with an older Dometic fridge also, but my friend is considering that it might have to be replaced as he builds the cabinets around it.

When I winced at the cost of a new furnace the service guy laughed and said "This is a R-E-C-R-E-A-T-I-O-N-A-L vehicle" lady! So I guess that explains everything....

I have friends with sailboats who refer to the cost of everything in 'Sailboat Units'.. which are apparently around $1000. So I guess I need to start thinking in 'Airstream Units'! Thanks, Pam
Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 AM   #40
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Pam, Just found your post. How are the cabinet's coming? We are starting the same process this weekend with the tear out. We've decided on a L shaped kitchen counter which includes the stove and round sink. It gives us a little more counter space, about 1 1/2 square feet, which we know is alot in an airstream. I'm pretty set on birch with walnut accents on the cabinets. We took some before pics for the forum and will be posting progress pictures, I hope. We are going to the area 33 forum rally May 25th so hope we are finished or we are really going to be roughing it. Teresa
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote