Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Convertible midship bed design?

Hey y'all,

My wife found photos of a sofa that converts into a full bed, it is in a middle twin bed model, and I'm curious if anyone has design/build plans for something like this. Maybe use a futon frame for the core of it?

Here are the photos, anyone with plans please let me know!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2638548140.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	177529

Name:	image-2713745254.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	177530

Thanks for the info,

Stream on!

Hunter
lewishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Are you sure those pictures are from a twin bed model?
I wouldn't expect that much room to get between the bed while it's out and a twin bed next to it.

The trailers I have seen with a convertible bed on the side had closets or counters on the other side, I guess it might work on a wide body trailer, I just haven't seen that setup in one.

Check how much room you have between the beds then subtract the extra width of a converted bed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
goucho in the middel

Our 63 has that design. They did it simply with a sliding top on the box and a stiff board behind the bolster so it has support when it drops into place behind the bottom cushion as it is pulled out. It works great and is very simple to build. It does not leave a lot of room to walk past the bed when it is out.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Here is an interesting futon from Target.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3703258062.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	177543  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I have a 76 ARGOSY with that mid ship bed design.

These are photos of Grant, friend and fellow member DavidsonOverlander, installing the slide out drawers that he built for me and that go under the bed.

Name:	grant bed.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	177551

Name:	grant 2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	177552

You can see the original aluminum frame, supported by the drawer holder, and figure out how it works: a sheet of plywood, with wooden runners attached, lays on top. The sheet pulls out, mattress/cushion on top, with the runners inside the metal channels.

The cushion is a very simple folding mattress that any good upholsterer can do. You can do it too if you are handy and have sewing skills.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My 72 Tradewind had mid-twins that slid out like that, leaving a narrow aisle between them when folded down. It's a very common configuration and you could probably get one from someone parting out a trailer. There was also a mid-double bed version as well.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Sliders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
I have a 76 ARGOSY with that mid ship bed design.

These are photos of Grant, friend and fellow member DavidsonOverlander, installing the slide out drawers that he built for me and that go under the bed.

Attachment 177551

Attachment 177552

You can see the original aluminum frame, supported by the drawer holder, and figure out how it works: a sheet of plywood, with wooden runners attached, lays on top. The sheet pulls out, mattress/cushion on top, with the runners inside the metal channels.

The cushion is a very simple folding mattress that any good upholsterer can do. You can do it too if you are handy and have sewing skills.

Sergei

What kind of rail did they use for sliders? I am wanting to build one but can't figure out what sliders to use that would hold enough weight.

Thanks
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Yup, it is a common design. My '63 Tradewind, '69 Safari and the '72 Argosy all have that midship bed design. Vintage trailer supply sells the hardwood tracks for the 60's style ....
Hardwood Bed Slide

the 69's and up used an aluminum sideways C channel type track as seen in the fellows pics above with a roller wheel that fit into the track for sliding out. The wood had a notch in the upper portion that the roller bar was attached to, to ensure the bed was stationary once put into its lowered position. For my Argosy I had an additional piece of foam cut that I tuck behind the goucho when it is in the upright postion so I can make that bed even wider :-)
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote