Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #1
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Center folding bed attachment

The center foldout bed in our 71 Tradewind came totally loose, it seems the screwholes in the wall where the screws go for the frame are enlarged and no longer hold the frame in place. Any permanent fixes? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Uwe
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have experienced the same thing with multiple Airstreams. The way I have fixed them in the past is to drill new holes the frame of the bed and attach it to the skin in new places. I have noticed that the couches are usually not attached to the ribs. I do not know why. I have reattached using the same screws and usually try to get one rib near each end for strength. If the holes bother you could fill them with oversized Aluminum rivets.

I do not drill through the skin; I allow the screw to make its own hole. This is for other than the rib mount. There I drill a hole in the rib smaller than the screw to get a good bite. I would be afraid to try to force the screw into a rib. To make the job really easy you could use self tapping screw of the same size as the ones you took out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
RivNuts

I had a lot of trouble with things coming adrift from my former trailer, a TrailManor. I noticed that the TrailManor factory used threaded "RivNuts" for the things that did NOT come loose. Where things did come loose, they were usually attached with metal screws.

I bought a gun (about like a sturdy pop-rivet gun) at a local hardware store along with an assortment of threaded rivets. I never had anything come loose that I attached in this manner.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Thanks for the tip, i will try this later today.
It just seems the wall is so flimsy, that I am afraid it will rip out again. Is there a sure way to find the ribs??
We just got this trailer last week, took it to Baja California already and had a blast. Just need to sort out a few details, like the beds etc......
Thanks again for the tip.
uwe
Old 06-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Finding ribs

I'll bet that one of the new breed of stud finders will find the ribs. The old stud finders used magnets to point at the nails. The newer electronic stud finders are sonic, looking for changes in density behind the wall. They work for me on plasterboard that is glued to the studs. I see no reason why they wouldn't find a rib.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You should be able to spot a rib based on where the rivets hold the aluminum to the inside walls. Unless your rig has wallpaper or the foam or cloth that is in some units. A 71 should have the rivet lines in plain view.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:01 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I was able to find 2 ribs running vertically in the area of the bed. I was able to drill and fasten 4 rivets on each rib, and another 12 along the entire run of the bed frame where it meets the inside wall. Rock solid now.
I took the advice and used larger rivets where the old screw holes were.
I also put 4 wood scres from the front frame bottom to the floor. All in all a very solid repair, it seems.
Uwe