Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cambria or Travertine Tops anyone?

I'm looking into material for our new counter tops. I love the look, feel, and durability of both Travertine and Cambria and wondering if anyone's used either of these. Pros and Cons welcome.
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
the first thought to mind is weight.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Wait, weight!

I agree about the weight. Also, something heavy like that is likely to crack after your first big bump in the road.

There are some remarkable formica tops that mimic the look you seek, yet are lightweight, durable, and even less expensive.

Another option: stainless steel. We recently replaced our countertop with stainless steel, and couldn't be happier with how it looks and matches the overall style of the interior. It is heavier than formica, but not by too much.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
We went with SS in our Excella, Not at all like a natural stone your after but will never crack and somewhat light weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	319880  

Alan
Old 08-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
We went with SS in our Excella, Not at all like a natural stone your after but will never crack and somewhat light weight.
I've considered SS but after reading about scratches and being that I cook ALOT in our airstream I discounted that idea. How has yours held up?
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Ours only has a few week long trips on it so still looks the same as new. SS gets a Patina depending on how you treat it, If you treat it similar to how you would any stone top you will not do any damage that can't be polished out.
If you want it to look like day one forever then that would be unreasonable.
I think most commercial kitchens use SS counters and fixtures but has to do with durability and cleanliness and not looks.

Alan
Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Stainless scratches

Yes, SS will get scratches, that is part of the "patina" it acquires. While it is possible to buff these scratches out, in practice, no one I know does it, because TIME.

Look in any high-end restaurant kitchen and you will find tons of SS and little else because it is so durable and easily cleaned and kept sanitary. It also looks way cool, despite/because of the patina (take your pick)

It reminds me of something Mark Twain wrote of desks; -- roughly quoting: "Show me a person with a clean desktop, and I will show you a desk with drawers crammed full. And if the drawers are also neat, why does the person even need a desk?" I look at a stainless steel countertop glistening so with the specks and sparkles of a hundred tiny cuts and scratches as a sign of a great and experienced cook.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote