Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Cabinet Pulling Away from Wall

I have an Overlander with the larger fridge. The cabinet had been pulling toward the center of the coach for some time. The previous owner(s) tried to reinforce it with an extra screw in the top and more screws to the original fridge.

I replaced the fridge. I followed Dometic installation proceedude and also re-riveted the end cabinet all back together. It is still pulling away from the wall.

I worry about it not being perfect because it is the fridge enclosure and I don't want exhaust gasses leaking into the coach or a fire hazard.

Has anyone else had this happen? Have you found a fix?

Thanks!
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Haven't had the problem, but my partitions have rivets through the channel holding in and them to the wall. Didn't see that in the pic. Try pushing the partition back and putting a screw through the channel.
Domestic install doesn't cover all circumstances where a refrigerator may be installed. If you didn't put screws down into the floor, front and back, you may want to do that. It may be that the fridge is rocking forward in which case you may want to run a hold down strap from the fridge top to the interior skin behind it.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I thought of a strap on the top of the unit too.

I think the crux of the problem isn't the fridge, but rather the overhead cabinets that are only supports by the cabinent end piece rather than to the roof, or somewhere like it.

I plan to sit and look at it for a while soon and see if I can get any bright ideas.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The overhead should be attached at the top and back. There's usually a strip just inside the top that can get riveted to the inside skin. Similar on the back below the cabinet shelf.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote