Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Cabinet door under sink fell off - hinge scrapes sink

I have read through several threads on curved cabinet doors under sink. Had no issues when we picked up our 27'FC and drove it home...but recently took it for a practice run (getting comfortable backing the rig) and noticed the top hinge of the left cabinet door came apart and door was hanging on by the bottom hinge. Was able to get the hinge back together but difficult because the hinge is presses up against the sink....and starting to scratch it. Is this a normal placement for this hinge?? I do not think the sink should be getting scratched up.... Sink does not appear to have shifted. I foresee the door being a problem every time we tow the rig since the movement/vibration of the sink will pop the hinge right off again. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Pics attached
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	372212

Name:	IMG-6360.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	372213

Name:	IMG-6361.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	372214
cwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
To move the hinge would not be easy. But you should be able to loosen your sink and move it approximately 1/8 of an inch. In a 2018 they might not have used caulk to set the sink making it easier. Hope this helps

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
that is the normal placement but as was mentioned the sink is a bit closer to the hinge than normal. Note that the bottom hinge has the grey plastic retainer. That prevents the hinge from rattling apart and the missing retainer is the likely reason it came apart. So try to find the retainer, or get a new one. You can also use two zip ties around the hinge to prevent it from coming loose. Adjust things a bit so it fits better and does not contact the sink as suggested.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Thank you! I will look for the missing plastic retainer....but will probably have to pick one up.
cwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Just my guess as I don't have a similar set up but I do build cabinetry and agree with rd_tighe.

Loosen the bolt(s) found at the end of the red hangers a couple of revolutions and slide the tub away from the end of the hinge a fraction before retightening the lockdowns. You will also have to loosen (& retighten) the twist lock pipe collar on the black plastic p-trap to allow the sink to move more easily. The hole in the countertop should be slightly larger than the sink basin but less than the outer rim of the sink collar which will limit how far the sink can shift. Although it may appear as though the sink didn't move, it is possible it did.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote