Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Cabinet and Gaucho removal

How easy/difficult is it to remove the cabinets and gaucho. I want to redo the right side of airstream and need to remove all cabinets and twin bed.
Since I can't do it on my own, is it wise to find a handy man on ...say Craigslist... To come remove them for me or will that ad open doors for just anyone who needs to make a quick buck? How do I weed them out?

Tried to attach pics but failed.

Thanks.
Miriam
mkamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Perhaps try Manpower or another temp staffing service.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
The gaucho and twin beds are easy I never removed cabinets I suggest a trusted neighbor not craigslist . Everything will go through the door on an Airstream.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A few screws and staples and it all comes apart like a jig saw puzzle. With Craigslist you certainly take your chances on quality of work and safety.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thank you all.

If I was to have hubby and I do it.. Even though he is soooo against us doing any labor and prefers professional help.. And I'm wanting to save a few bucks here and there if it's something we can do...
Anyway.. So what tools would you recommend to use to remove gaucho and cabinets. We r leaving fridge intact for now.
Any specific screw drivers? Are we going to need to remove rivets?
Do we need a claw hammer to yank out the cabinets? Heavy duty gloves?
I looked on you tube and couldn't find anything showing cabinet removal.
I attached some pics.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/mk...ream%20Remodel
Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Perhaps you should try making friends with a fellow Airstreamer in your area who has been through a rennovation. You might invite them over for a cold beer, and ask them to point out what fasteners you will need to remove, and approximately where they are. Having witnessed this, you may be better able to decide whether you are up for the challenge of doing the work yourself. Better yet, you might post a classified ad on the Forums, offering to hire out the job to someone who has had experience working on a trailer. This might narrow the audience sufficiently that you will get someone who knows what they are doing. It's a crap-shoot with Craigslist/Angieslist, etc.

As far as tools go, you will need to have handy a #2 philips head screw driver, and a standard flat screwdriver. You'll definitely need a cordless drill (18V or better) with drill bits and screw driver bits. There will likely be some pop-rivets that need to be drilled out. Do you intend to put all of this back in place eventually? Then you will need a pop-rivet tool and rivets. If you find yourself reaching for hammers and pry bars, then you probably haven't gotten all the fasteners loose. Gloves might come in handy to protect from burrs and sharp edges, and be sure to wear safety glasses anytime you are drilling.

None of this is rocket science, and anyone can learn the basic skills required--the big question is whether you want to or not. It doesn't sound like your husband has any interest, so it may be best to approach the job in the way that will ensure the most domestic tranquility.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkamanu View Post
How easy/difficult is it to remove the cabinets and gaucho. I want to redo the right side of airstream and need to remove all cabinets and twin bed.
Since I can't do it on my own, is it wise to find a handy man on ...say Craigslist... To come remove them for me or will that ad open doors for just anyone who needs to make a quick buck? How do I weed them out?

Tried to attach pics but failed.

Thanks.
Miriam
Do not let some handyman who is not experienced in working on Airstreams do this. You will be sorry!!
It might cost you a lot more for the repairs afterward than paying a professional up front.

Before removing the goucho, look at what is behind and under it. There are several electrical components and wiring there, that you will have to deal with. Removing the goucho is fairly easy. There are four screws holding it to the floor. The arm rest/storage at each side is held in place by screws.

Before removing that overhead cabinet, look at all of the electrical items mounted inside. The antenna wire might be routed in the cabinet too. You need to disconnect and protect each connection. You will need to do some dis-assembly to get at the connections.

Do not forget to take photos of the wiring so you will be able to re-connect everything.

add edit:
If you break or crack the plastic cover on your cabinet above the goucho, it will be difficult to find replacement parts.
Disconnect the battery and unplug the power cord before starting.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Gotcha!
Thanks for the direction.. I will reach out to someone on the forum, good starting point.
Thank you all!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
What area are you in? I'm sure there are other ASers in the area who can recommend experienced AS remodeled...
It would be cheaper to hire knowledgable help with all of the proper tools. They can save you lots of money when buying materiels, too.
It is rewarding to renovate... It is NOT easy..
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hook up and come to my place anytime this week. we can have you fixed up and back home for supper.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
50 miles away.....now that's a talented invite if ever. Are you driving yet?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Dumas , Texas
We are wanting to do a similar thing. We want to take out one of our gauchos and add a dinette.
Denda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thanks for the invite.. we r planning on going to texoma next weekend for our first camping experience.. .
If hubby is still nervous about it.. I will take you up on the offer!
Miriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Hook up and come to my place anytime this week. we can have you fixed up and back home for supper.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the gaucho with a dinette too. I have found furniture components that could work that have storage seats. Before I can fiddle around with a drawing, I need the corner radius's for an '99 Airstream Safari. Are those all different depending on the year? Does anyone know what those are?
Libbitt is offline   Reply With Quote