Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Hendersonville , Tennessee
building custom cabinets

I want to build cabinets for my 81 excella and I was wondering what the best material to use would be. I've seen some solid wood cabinets and they looked heavy. I want to keep the weight down. any suggestions. Is there a better alternative to a rebuild? Also, is there a market for selling the existing cabinetry and/or appliances? I'm still in the planning/thinking phase, everything is still intact. I'm most interested in ideas for cabinets right now. thanks, mj
mj81excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Definitely a market for selling your existing appliances, fixtures, and cabinetry if it's still in good order. You could start by posting it here, there are always other Airstreamers looking for stuff.

As for building your own cabinetry, I'd continue to search the forums. Some people use the lighter softwoods for building frames, and use thin plywood over that for the rest of the carcass. There are also some people who have used aluminum to create the framing with plywood or other materials for the carcass.

It sounds like you are considering a complete renovation, in which case I would highly recommend reading through the "Major Renovations" threads. Some of them are lengthy, but they are absolutely full of detailed explanations and innovative ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
thanks for the reply. I think a major renovation is in store for me. Thanks for sending me in the link
Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
No problem, welcome to the Forums, you'll find the people around here to be very helpful.

You'll also find that they're going to ask you to post pictures of your rig, so you might as well get started with that.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
do you have any pictures?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome MJ -- and thanks for your post. I hope to one day get to the cabinets in my trailer and so I have the same questions as you. I'm still working on the frame but one day I'll be there so I'll be following your progress. Take lots of pictures and keep posting your questions and progress!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
Hi mj welcome. I have built a lot of cabinets but when I took apart our 31' 1970 I was pretty impressed at how Airstream used all light weight material and still had good enough lasting power to go 35 years and still be in good shape. When you take yours apart look at how they did it and you may want to use some ideas that they used. Have fun Dave
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Anybody got some good ideas on storage under the galley sink counter? In my 71 Tradewind the original shelf is missing although some of the backets are still there. Under this counter is the furnace, water pump, water valves and lines and furnace ducts. Maybe a shelf(s) that slides out?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
thank you for the warm welcome. It sounds like this is going to be a great place for some good advice. I will get some pictures soon, first must visit "how to post pictures" forum. Will for sure be taking a close look at the existing construction. The reason I'm looking to replace the cabinets is that there is some kind of contact paper (wood grain) on everything and the heat/cold has caused it to peel off. Some are still OK but I'm not sure I want to try to match the old with new. That is why I'm thinking of a rebuild. Yes I know...pictures. Will try to work on that tomarrow
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
service manual

Consider getting a service manuel for your year model if you don't already have one. I recently did a complete strip of the interior of my trailer and found the service manual invaluable and probably essential as a reference. There are schematics and breakdowns of all the systems and parts diagrams. Highly recommended.

Here's a list from the main index: chassis, shell, floor plans, refrigerator, furnace, water heater, range & oven, air conditioner, water system, gas system, drainage system, electrical system, furniture, drapes & upholstery, bathroom, extrusions. There are further sub-indexes for each of those sections.

Since you are interested in cabinets here is a partial breakdown of the sub-index for furniture: laminates and tambours, roof lockers, galley assemblies, galley removal and replacement, refrigerator cabinet assemblies, front travel lounge assembly, bed assemblies, credenza assemblies, dinette seat assembly, vanity assembly, wardrobe assemblies, towel cabinet assemblies, header and door assemblies....etc. Well you get the picture!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Lumatic - ours has a middle shelf all the way across, then has under that shelf two shelves that slide out, probably had a small tote on them originally but seem to work well for foil, zip locks, that kind of stuff. Also picked up from Zep some mid-70's plastic rolling drawers in their own frame that I put in above the furnace which fit perfectly. See them on ebay from time to time as well.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Joe

1969 21' Globetrotter
Spokane , Washington
Cabinets

Hi MJ:

I'm brand new to this ... but I've been a part time cabinet/furniture maker for about 30 years. If the cabinets are structurally sound (despite the contact paper) you might want to consider refacing them. You should be able to find all kinds of info on the process by doing a web search. In simple terms you can reface them with wood veneer and/or formica. Easy process beautiful results.

Good luck.

Joe
jford828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Hi Joe,

As I was taking some photos (will post soon) that thought did cross my mind. I'll have to do a search and see what I can come up with, I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Hi Todd,

A service manual sounds good. I have the owner's manual but it just has basic operation stuff. Where is the best place to order one?

MJ
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
MJ, I got mine through the contacts on the Vintage Airstream Club website but you can also apparently order them online through the Airstream website. Here's the pertinent forum thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f157...ual-29177.html. A service manual is as close to a set of blue prints for an AS as you are likely to find!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
pics

I have some pictures. They are in the members photos category, under my user name. I guess you could search for 1981 excella2 and find them as well. I'm sure this is a simple process to the regulars on the forums. Here is a pic for this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jenny's card 464 1000x749.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	60537  
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj81excella
thank you for the warm welcome. It sounds like this is going to be a great place for some good advice. I will get some pictures soon, first must visit "how to post pictures" forum. Will for sure be taking a close look at the existing construction. The reason I'm looking to replace the cabinets is that there is some kind of contact paper (wood grain) on everything and the heat/cold has caused it to peel off. Some are still OK but I'm not sure I want to try to match the old with new. That is why I'm thinking of a rebuild. Yes I know...pictures. Will try to work on that tomarrow
In your year the cabinets are not really wood, it is imitation wood. That contact paper you mention is probably the laminate or foil surface that is intended to give you the illusion or delusion of real wood. You are right, the hot/cold has caused the glue that holds the surface to fail. A more modern version of the material can be used or a veneer plywood can also be used.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Todd, when I look for a service manual at airstream.com they don't have 1981 listed as an option. Should I get 80 or 82 service manual?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
62averlander, did you use a veneer on your cabinets?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Check with the other source, Vintage Airstream Club. I had to make a phone call and leave a message but they will call you back. I think it best that you get a manual for your year model.

- Captain Jack Sparrow