Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Boatdoc's 26' Argosy project.

Hi Folks;
Being very excited, I cannot wait till mid December to resume work on our Argosy. SS frame has been finished last spring and exterior was painted. All exterior lighting is in place. During the past summer we have purchased 15 pc. of 4' x 8' x 4 MM Okume Marine plywood for the interior. Having very little time for it during summer, I was forced to cheat a bit on the business and managed to put three coats of Interlux Gold Spar Urethane Varnish. First three coats were applied with 1/4 nap Mohair roller and flattened with 9" SHUR-LINE Pad which was vigorously blown out with compressed air to get rid of any loose lint. All were wet sanded with 320 between each coat. Last weekend I have made an attempt to put a fourth and final coat. After doing two sheets I have noticed some dust in the varnish which was strained and floor was wet. I decided to stop because my shop is too dusty to have a mirror finish top coat. Called my friend Tommy who has a very large downdraft paint booth, and it turned out that it will be all mine upcoming Saturday. I must say I am amazed at the latest Interlux formula of Gold Spar. It is very hard and brilliant, when thinned with Penetrol. I am also glad that my wife did not let me stain the panels, they are gorgeous in natural color.

Aside of this we have acquired needed appliances during the summer.
Got Low Profile Carrier AC 15000 BTU, Attwood 6 Gal. LP Water Heater, Suburban Dynatrail NT-30SP Furnace and Norcold three way 6.5 Cu Ft Fridge.
I have to do some changes in my wiring,, before my wife paints the interior skins Sea Foam green, before going full time at the project this winter.

To tell the truth I have no concrete ideas on details for the interior but the floor plan is set. One thing for sure all wood grain will be running same direction, which is up and down. Inner skins and counter tops will be the only parts that are not varnished. Tub area will have white color Rhino Liner sprayed on. For the floor we have 1/4" cork underlayment and ceramic coated cork tiles over the underlayment. Reason for cork was the fact that cork has good anti-microbial qualities which will eliminate possible growth of mold.

Now for plumbing. I have very few clues when it comes to plumbing, but I guess I will have to learn quick. I may have to lean on some expertise from our members, when the time comes. Pex tubing installation lessons will be on the agenda as well.

I will be posting the rate of progress come December. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
How exciting for you. Remember lots and lots of pictures are needed.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Boatdoc, Looking forward to following your progress. I always learn something from watching these projects.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey BD,

Sounds like you're at a great stage in the re-build. Very exciting for sure. I do a lot of RV plumbing, and I have been using Sea-Tech fittings and tubing on a regular basis with great results.

PM me if you're interested in more details!

Also, have you considered a couple of solar panels? I just became a dealer for AM Solar, and after researching several systems out there, theirs seems to be of very high quality and at the top of the heap.....so to speak.

Keep us posted on the progress of the Argosy.................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Folks;
...SS frame has been finished last spring and exterior was painted. All exterior lighting is in place.... purchased 15 pc. of 4' x 8' x 4 MM Okume Marine plywood ... three coats of Interlux Gold Spar Urethane Varnish. ...wet sanded with 320 between each coat...Got Low Profile Carrier AC 15000 BTU, Attwood 6 Gal. LP Water Heater, Suburban Dynatrail NT-30SP Furnace and Norcold three way 6.5 Cu Ft Fridge.
...changes in my wiring... Tub area will have white color Rhino Liner sprayed on. For the floor we have 1/4" cork underlayment and ceramic coated cork tiles .... Pex tubing installation lessons will be on the agenda as well.
I will be posting the rate of progress come December.

Boatdoc:

With all of those upgrades you undoubtably have an incredible investment in the trailer.....if I'm not prying too much, would you mind sharing with the Forum your investment in time and money?

The reason I am asking, often a question comes up which basically asks "how much will it cost to redo this trailer?".

I know that everyone has different skill sets, different quality of finish, and different production speeds (I know that I work REALLY slow compared to others), but if you have documented your hours and money, I am sure others will appreciate an honest and accurate accounting of the time and money to do a good job on a renovation (not a restoration, which would be much more difficult).

So many projects have been documented here, but actual costs and time investments are sadly lacking.

As an example, I have over $16,000 and 650 hours in my rebuild of the '78 Sovereign - plus $6500 on the polish job. I do not have nearly the number of "new" items you have. All I had to do to my frame was a partial belly pan and new axles. The only appliance I replaced was the water heater.

I think an accurate cost posting from as many projects as possible would allow others to see actual costs and time requirements involved prior to ripping up their trailers.

It seems hard to imagine that I have as much time and money in the Sovereign that I do, but I documented each day the costs and time I put into it. Most days were only an hour or two, and, surprisingly, most individual outlays were in the 10 to 20 dollar range - there were just a huge amount of them. 15 bucks for a bag of Stainless Steel screws here, 20 for a couple of lights there....I still have a hard time believing the totals, but I am confident of the numbers.

On the other hand, I have a trailer that to SOB owners appears to be almost new on the outside, and at least as good as a new build on the inside. Finished to my own individual tastes, with new axles and a confirmed good frame, I have a trailer that is at least (to me anyway) worth the time, effort, and bucks I have invested.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dennis,

You know, it really doesn't matter what you spend if you get what you want. I spent $35K on my '06 19CCD before upgrading a lot of the components, adding full awnings, new AGM batteries, new water pump, RV-500 water heater, full LED lighting....the list goes on. I have what I want for now.

If I were going to do a vintage trailer (perhaps in the near future). I would gladly spend to the cost of a new one to have what I wanted. I really believe that if your project gives you what you want and you intend to use it for some time......then it's worth the cost........whatever it may be.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Dennis, Here's a thread that will give you some cost ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...year-1614.html
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Boatdoc:

With all of those upgrades you undoubtably have an incredible investment in the trailer.....if I'm not prying too much, would you mind sharing with the Forum your investment in time and money?

The reason I am asking, often a question comes up which basically asks "how much will it cost to redo this trailer?".

I know that everyone has different skill sets, different quality of finish, and different production speeds (I know that I work REALLY slow compared to others), but if you have documented your hours and money, I am sure others will appreciate an honest and accurate accounting of the time and money to do a good job on a renovation (not a restoration, which would be much more difficult).
Hi 87MH;
I truly believe, that working on restoration makes most of us happy. Keeping records is very depressing, so why do you suppose I am depressed? Yes, I am running a tally but the Forums will not allow me 2000 lines to list it all. To many, my figures will mean nothing. I think that Lewster said it all.
The extent of reconstruction has a different value to each individual, and bases on which the amount will vary. In order for me to justify my logic for doing it my way, one must first understand my cause and my inborn need for perfection. I have never been known to do anything half fast [thanks to my dad]. Being a perfectionist has it's benefits, but it has many drawbacks as well. Within my business I must turn down over 50% of repair requests. That is the benefit of being of a perfectionist, but I am not going to list them all. However on the opposite side, I see many unhappy individuals who were turned away. Another problem with being a perfectionist, is availability of work force to match my standards, which leads back to unhappy turned away customer. The other negative about being a perfectionist is that often I take it to the extreme to the point where even my wife takes notice of. Her comment was you are 62 years old, why are you building a trailer to last 100 years?

One must understand that when I have lost my first wife in 1998 to cancer, I have become a lost and very depressed individual who had no other family, other than my 174 lbs King Rottweiler [gentle giant] who was just like our son. I was very fortunate to have met a very nice lady who was divorced for five years and very mistreated in her previous marriage. This lady whom I married, has uplifted my spirits and brought back vigor to my life. This is the reason why my perfectionism has resurfaced.

I like everyone interested to understand, that items other than actual cost of the Arg. were purchased at dealer cost, as one of my marine suppliers is also a supplier to RV industry.
Argosy purchased at $4831.00
479 lbs of SS materials for the frame 1238.25
Welding Gas and materials 273.00
6pc. of 4'x8' aluminum clad plywood 589.00
Alum. C trim and joining H trim for the floor 183.09
3M 5200 Adhesive 18 cartridges 234.00
Dexter axles 5000lbs with 3500lbs suspension 1079.00
Tires, 10 ply and galv rims 980.00
Exterior LED trailer lighting 364.60
Insulation 279.97
Wiring and its comp. 618.80
Gages 417.20
Stereo System 425.00
15 pc of Okume plywood 630.00
5 gal of Interlux Gold Spar varnish 495.00
1 gal of Interlux prime wash 83.00
3 gal of Pettit Easypoxy 384.00
1 gal Evercoat Z-Grip 37.00
Misc paint additives 171.38
Sand paper and prep supplies 234.50
Furnace, water heater, AC and fridge 2618.00
SS Gnat proof window screens SS 296.98
Still needed plumbing supplies estimated at 3612.00
Labor hours presently at 312 @ $89.00/hour loss of income 27768.00
Aprox needed hours to finish 300 hours.
Total at ridiculous cost of $47842.00
So there is your proof that we are crazy for doing what we do. Is my wife worth it? Yes, Yes and Yes.
What we do is a labor of love, for love, personal satisfaction and because we are totally nuts.
Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Boatdoc,

It was nice of you to share what to many is a private matter.
I also enjoyed the background you provided which makes the other more meaningful. Karma.
Dave
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i began keeping accurate records and writing everything down but then it came to too much work and too much what i do for a real job. so now i don't worry about it so much, but i do have paperwork and reciepts, i just don't obsess about them.

what lew and boatdoc said sums it up for me too

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I think Boatdoc and Lewster are right. If doing the work makes you happy and you like the result, the amount you spend is secondary. Spending beyond your means is a very bad idea, but those of us who do our own work and have done so for years usually have a good idea if the $20 for stainless screws is excessive or not.

Probably my best example of nominally outrageous time and money spent is the redone range hood in our Bambi. And now, ever time I walk into the trailer I think, boy, that hood is really great. What is funny is that most other people never notice it.

Anyway, Boatdoc, keep at it because your boat-inspired work will put all of us to shame!
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Boatdoc,

It was nice of you to share what to many is a private matter.
I also enjoyed the background you provided which makes the other more meaningful. Karma.
Dave
Hey Dave; I am glad that you have noticed what drives me. Without my little lady, the most I would have done is to admire the Airstreams when passing them on the road. We all have different reasons for so called insanity, and I am privileged to my own. Thanks Fyrzowt. "Boatdoc"
Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It looks like your going to have one spectacular trailer when your finished. Your trailer will shine - good comments will come from those who take a close look.
I also get a little carried away with trying to do a good job with what I have to work with. My budget is quite a bit tighter but all my neighbors come up to me when I am working on my trailer and have to "inspect" - they love it! They can tell that the trailer will be better than new when I get finished. Late summer has gotten real busy but I hope to working on it again soon.
On the same note I have rebuilt the my tow vehicle (90' Jeep Grand Wagoneer to be built for towing!) for the trailer pretty much from top to bottom with the exception of a little body work that has to be done. It gets a lot of compliments - besides personal satisfaction of the work maybe the compliments make some of it worthwhile.

Have fun on the project!
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
boatdoc, It looks like you are keeping good records, I am trying to do the same on restoring our Argosy (costalotta). It seems like the list never ends. Would love to see your trailer when finished.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Boatdoc's 26' Argosy project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Hi Boatdoc, Looking forward to following your progress. I always learn something from watching these projects.
Dave
Good morning; Last Saturday my wife was gracious enough to relieve me in business management duty, and I was able to put a fourth and finish coat of Gold Spar on my 15 sheets of OKUME Marine ply. During the past week I have done one sheet with a brush and had to stop. My shop turned out to be much too dusty for finish coat. My buddy who owns a paint shop, offered me the use of his paint booth. With my HVLP gun, I was done in three hours and it looks deep and spectacular. It actually looks better in reality than in the pictures. Monday we had them set up in the hot sun to harden the Varnish.

Last Sunday I was able to install a water heater and Furnace. We have also made a final decision on floor covering. We have settled for 1/4" cork underlayment and 12"x 12" Lisbon pattern 1/4" cork tiles which has some green hues in it to match Sea foam green walls. There is enough contrast so it should not blend in too closely with paneling. In case if someone wonders why 15 sheets, because all walls will be covered with 3MM plywood up to the height to the bottom of window. Shower and bathroom walls will be coated with Rhino liner in white, which will be sprayed on. Rhino has a FDA approved coating for potable water tanks, and this should eliminate any possibility of moisture intrusion into the walls. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
As always, more fine craftsmanship. I like the Rhino Liner idea for the bath walls, I may borrow that idea from you.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I love to know that I am not alone in the going overboard. I build custom furniture and cabinets. I have worried about imperfections on the underside of things that are inside of a cabinet. I have always worried about the "what if someone sees that" factor... spending too much time on things that no one will ever notice... no one except me. Maybe we were all Shaker craftsmen in a previous life, worried about a mistake that no one but God could see.
As far as how much is spent... I want to remain as ignorant as possible. I do not want to know, for if I did, I would give it up. I had no idea of the costs associated in this whole endeavor. I am a blue collar working guy. I am not even remotely close to retirement. My oldest daughter is 7 years from college and I have bought the most expensive toy of my life. My restoration is just beginning and I have almost spent 2/3 of the purchase price already. I also realize that this is the best thing I have ever spent money on. The enjoyment of working on Anna, learning to work with materials that are new to me, buying and mastering new tools, making something old new again, well that is priceless. When I received the title from the MVA, I knew that I was committed and there was no turning back. How much it costs me is of little importance now. Heck it is only money, that stuff grows on trees in this land of milk and honey. I have something better than money, I have a vintage Airstream.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
BoatDoc
Just keep post'n the results of your labor of Love. We all cannot be as skilled maybe as U but we are inspired to do the best possible job we can. Seeing the pic's u post shows what can be accomplished if we try hard enough.Thanks for sharing every detail of what U use to accomplish such fine work.
Thanks BOATDOC
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
BoatDoc
Just keep post'n the results of your labor of Love. We all cannot be as skilled maybe as U but we are inspired to do the best possible job we can. Seeing the pic's u post shows what can be accomplished if we try hard enough.Thanks for sharing every detail of what U use to accomplish such fine work.
Thanks BOATDOC
Roger
Hi Roger; Half of last weekend turned out to be bummer with heavy rain Saturday, but Sunday I managed to refit the small oval door at the rear street side. I have picked that location for water the heater so it can be closer to tub and bath sink. This relocation presented a problem with exhaust deflector. The heater outside dimensions front to back were perfect, but a new exhaust redirecting assembly had to be made. Some 1/16" aluminum and my trusty tig welder accomplished what needed to be done.
I still need to find a some sort of a heat shield insulation to shield rest of that door. This weekend I will attempt to cut out the opening in the roof for the 15.000 BTU Low Profile Carrier AC and hopefully install it.

My last trip to my favorite scrap yard produced a great find. I have found a barrel full of brand new chrome plated coil springs 3/4"x5"and bought about 60 pieces at $1.50/lbs. Now, my concerns about paying $4.00 a piece are over. My plans are to weld/fabricate my own hinged aluminum bed frames and a wrap around sofa. I have a large spool of 3/32" 7x7 SS wire, which will be used for stringing up "spring suspended" bases for the two beds and the sofa.

Another bummer was that I found out that a dealer who did my Rhino bed liner shut down his application facility. I was ready to have liner sprayed in white in the entire bathroom area. This particular product is FDA approved for potable water tanks. Bummer is that now I will have to look for another dealer.

I am still wrecking my brain what to use for a 12 Volt bathroom fan with mechanica louver. Do not want to install anything that is big and ugly. Any suggestions from the Forums members would be much appreciated. Next time I will post some pics of the water heater exhaust modification. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
BoatDoc
We had those rains here also . We really needed the rain bad ,we were in drought conditions all summer. We did get over 4" of rain out of that strom and pretty much caught us up for the year.
I guess if Im gonna keep this big alumimun thing Im gonna have to invest in a tig welder. I could use it now I have a screen door frame cracked at a hinge,that needs dealt with ASAP. Did your wife paint that aweful green stuff on the inside of the outer skin yet.Is that the stuff they use in aircraft to stop oxidation?Just keep postin BoatDoc we all are intrested in the restoration and your methods. It shows us what we can do. I always have said, U can do anything,become anything, if U want too bad enough and work toward that goal.
Thanks BOAT DOC
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote