Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Big Overhead cabinet

My '73 Safari was a twin. Maybe it didn't make any difference, but the overhead storage was not big, plus it had tambor doors that were a pain and took up room. So when I converted to a double bed, I wanted a bigger overhead. Viola!

The new cabinet is 15" high at the front and 24" deep. This is only one inch higher and 4" deeper, but it increased the volume by 60%. Sliding doors also helped. I used double stick tape to seal the frame to the shell and two pieces of "D" shape rubber gasket on each door to ensure that the gap between the doors is airtight.

the space looks empty/open without the cabinets

Click image for larger version

Name:	bed overhead.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	336556

trial fit, no kitchen partition

Name:	bed overhead 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	336557

installed, doors open

Name:	bed overhead open.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	336558

doors closed

Name:	bed overhead closed.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	336559
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
How’s does it attach?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
At each end, the shelf part has two screws each into the shower and kitchen partitions (the old cabinet also had the same attachment to the partitions). Then the frame that holds the sliding doors is screwed (two places) into the ceiling. You may not be able to see the divider partition in the center of the cabinet, but it is attached to the lower face piece, the upper face piece, and has four screws into the ceiling.

The shelf itself uses the original extrusion at the back edge, so it's supported along its length by 6 pop rivets. The shelf is 1/4" cheap maple plywood, but it fits fine into the original extrusion.

Zep
Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi: That is a well designed overhead. It will be much handier to access than the under the bed storage cabinets. You could even use it as a bunk bed for small kids. (only kidding)

I didn't realize you work working a 77 Safari. Good deal. Nice size for the mountain roads. It might be said you have too many Airstreams.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I didn't realize you work working a 77 Safari. Good deal. Nice size for the mountain roads. It might be said you have too many Airstreams.
You can guess who said we had too many Airstreams.

Actually, the '77 Safari is next winter, after I finish this one and enjoy the summer. I'm going to try and work the double bed up front and a dinette mid ship.

Zep
Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I thought you said 73 Safari twin in post #1. I read your profile list of Airstreams and it says 77 Safari. And that is next winter's project...

Could it be you are a closet Airstreamer? Concealing trailers behind your shop? I wonder how long your profile listing would be if all your trailers were included.

I do find it interesting that you "cut a corner" on that new bedroom layout to make access around the big bed easier. Wish I had thought of that. I made the twin beds bigger in my 75 Overlander for more sleeping comfort, but less aisle width, and less bath doorway entry room. Luckily my feet are smaller than my butt and I am able to wiggle into the bathroom. If I had cut the corner, entry would have been easier. I must remember that one.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1812 Bed Plywood 2-800x600.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	336709  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
My spouse says I'm a member of AA, and the first "A" isn't Alcoholics.

I recently made the street side twin in my wife's new Flying Cloud wider by about 5". This allows us to use it together (we have slept together on a German Pullman -- which is about 6" wide -- with no problem) and it doesn't take anything out of the aisle, since the bathroom forward of that side is wider than the bed.

Everyone should be familiar with the cut corner. I've used it on at least 2 other remodels and you really don't notice it--feet are not as big as butts. The only issue is that you can't flip the mattress years in the future...

Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Could it be you are a closet Airstreamer? Concealing trailers behind your shop? I wonder how long your profile listing would be if all your trailers were included.

I do find it interesting that you "cut a corner" on that new bedroom layout to make access around the big bed easier. Wish I had thought of that. I made the twin beds bigger in my 75 Overlander for more sleeping comfort, ...