Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Attention all wrap-around Dinette-r's

Hum, is that a word?

I'm in the process of building a wrap-around dinette in the Overlander and need some advice on the cushions. As you can see here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...tml#post825804 the base is more or less complete. I'm trying to figure out what size cushions to buy and how to cut to fit. The sleeping area, once the table top is lowered, will be the size of a queen size mattress from front to back (of the trailer). Side to side is bit longer than a queen size. Then there's the seat backs and the street-side "bench" that will extend beyond the bed rearward towards to the fridge. Point being, everything is little odd sized.

I'd sure like to see how others have cut-and-fitted the mattress material. Just trying to be efficient in use of the materials.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
I'd like to use this advice too. We just started ours today.

Also, do you have more pics of how you're lowering the table?
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I'll be using a telescoping pedestal in the center of the table that raises and lowers to the desired height. I'm also think of adding a couple of folding wooden legs that drop down when in the lowered position. Another forum member gave me the name of an inexpensive one that he used on his, but of course, I can't find the name of it now. Going to have to ask again. I'll post it in my main thread when I get all the pieces-parts together.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I would say use the top boards for a template but it looks like you have already attached it to the base. How about using some kind of paper or poster board for a template? Place it on top of the dinette and cut to fit then place it on the foam to figure out the correct sizes. Ps. Foam is EXPENSIVE. We just redid our existing couches. Here's a tip

Hancock's & JoAnn's flyers & Sale

We got our's at JoAnn's on Fourth of July weekend sale 10% of total purchase coupon. If you can watch and wait for it to go on sale... ours was 40% of regular price. So we got 50% off and it was still over $300.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Really cool project! We are in Georgia as well. Ikea foam mattresses are prices really well and are another great foam source. It was cheaper to buy than raw foam for me foir a large project. Your dinette is really cool. If you want to get rid of the old folding/dropleaf, we are looking for one. We are in Marietta. Oh, and Charles Schulz has no "t"-- that is my last name, as well.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
We constructed our dinette, and then contacted a local seamstress to come over and take a tracing of the dinette, plus the table. We used 3" foam, but wish we'd used 4", as the 3" took some getting used to (but when you're really tired, you'll fall asleep on anything). She took about 3 or 4 days, and finished up while I was standing over her, waiting to leave on a trip to Algonquin park. It cost around $800. Here's the picture:

The Finalized Cushions, And Mew Lake, Algonquin - The cushions with the table cushions on, and in the down position Photo Gallery

The right and left hand curvy bits are interchangeable, and the fabric is washable, which was useful when my daughter put her foot on the hitch ball and then stood on the cushions. The fabric is fairly durable.

Our dinette is basically a frame with the plywood top bits resting on it. I drilled out finger holes to lift them out.

A bonus is that the configuration sleeps two children and one adult.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I'll be using a telescoping pedestal in the center of the table that raises and lowers to the desired height. I'm also think of adding a couple of folding wooden legs that drop down when in the lowered position. Another forum member gave me the name of an inexpensive one that he used on his, but of course, I can't find the name of it now. Going to have to ask again. I'll post it in my main thread when I get all the pieces-parts together.

Jim
Interesting. For our table, we started using it with two cafeteria type legs that folded out of the way (barely). This year, we replaced that with:

Two round ABS tubes inside slightly larger ABS tubes.
To affix it in place, we have 2 hitch pins per "leg", at 90 degree angles.
To affix the tubes to the table and the floor, we used toilet flanges.

It works. Still wobbles a little bit. If we'd had more time, we would have used the largest possible tube (like, a sewer or perforated type tube, maybe 10" across), and a slightly narrower tube to slide inside it, and put a spring inside it to help lift it to dining table height. Maybe a catch or two to keep it from lifting a person off, if they were sleeping on it.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Funny how things work out. I started this thread months ago and am just now getting to the end of the project. We should be taking delivery of the cushions about mid-August. A friend that we know thru Scouts has a home-based business making new RV/Car/Truck interiors. I'll post a better description and pics when they are delivered. We went with a light blue fabric a little darker than "Airstream Blue". The best part is that the total cost comes in at about $850. I'll update the thread when it's done. Thanks for the interest in this old thread.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427