Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Anyone have a fix for this????

Before I go using the router on the slide tracks, does anyone know how to make the tambour doors slide a bit better? It would seem that some of my doors were replaced with the cloth backing, and it's a bit thick...makes opening the cabinets a real pain in the butt. I bought some silicone lube, but haven't tried it yet, since the rig is still at South Jersey RV. Would opening up that track be my best bet? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Frederic
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Frederic, the traditional remedy for stiff drawer runners is to rub an ordinary wax candle on the rubbing surfaces. Silicon lube on the canvas could be a bit messy. Nick.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
How often can I expect to reapply the candle wax, to keep it working properly?

Frederic
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
My recommendation is avoid the wax........with the dramatic changes in temp that occur inside, it's going to get really "gummy".
Thoroughly clean out the channel and then apply liberal amounts of silicone spray to the channel and the tambor edges. I'll bet you'll see a significant change.
77 R GO C MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've seen posts talking about the candlewax solution not working that well. It doesn't distribute very well but I have no doubt that it'd work great if it would. WD-40 -- bad (petroleum based). LPS -- good (stands for 'Liquid Polymer Silicone'). Any use of my work's silicone (always water based) sprayed in proximity to linoleum floors results in break-neck slipperiness!! Okay -- promising so far. This stuff is awesome if you can apply it into a place that matters! That brings us to 303 Aerospace Protectant. This is a similar product to what I have used as far as I can tell.

I spray it in the long track that tambour runs along -- that works only partially. The bottle in the link above is a bit tall. I use a bottle that holds 4 oz. at most and is fairly short. Maybe look at Home Depot for smaller spray bottles. I close the tambour onto the thinnest part of my wrist and spray into the spiral uptake tracks of the tambour. That works every time! I can't say how bad the plastic-on-plastic would not glide until I invented my own trick this way. And the effect is durable and lasting -- what else could you want?

I really doubt it is your canvas backing causing the problem. We all take many weeks to tweak our trailers -- so ordering another product isn't too bad (when will it end?!?!).

Post again if you have problems.

(BTW -- LPS seems a little too light oil base for use near canvas, adhesives & plastics. I certainly would recommend the 303 first!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
How often can I expect to reapply the candle wax, to keep it working properly?

Frederic
Once a year works for me. 303 protectant is great stuff. It's expensive, but it's the right product for your tire walls, plastic on the tow vehicle, plastic kyaks, etc, so you wouldn't be spending the money for just one small job. Nick.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Where do ya get the 303 at?
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The link above is for Camping World.

Andy at InlandRV also suggests your window gaskets need to be treated annually with this stuff too.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
Where do ya get the 303 at?
This link has an 8 oz spray for £7:
http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/363...t/protect.html
"303 protectant" in google will give 22,300 hits!
Nick.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, guys,

I live in the sandy south, and most bicyclists down here won't use a "wet-based" chain lubricant. Instead we use wax-based lubricants. Specifically, I treated my tabour tracks with "White Lightning" chain lube and have minimal problems with them since. Works for me (and it's cheap).

You can find it at any good bike dealer. Here's what the bottle looks like:

http://www.yuccadune.com/product975.html

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Lamar,

Now I'm not using the 303 but I believe it to be very near the same thing (nice minty taste, as used in dentistry.... another story I guess).

It's hard to beat petroleum base lubes for metals -- especially if exposed to weather. We're talking plastic track and the tambour is usually plastic too. This silicone spray works miracles if it can be introduced into the spiral uptake tambour track. The issue with rubber window gaskets is to overcome the tackiness that comes with age, summer heat, etc. Water based silicone dries as fast as the water film can evaporate, without residue to capture dust and dirt. It imparts great slipperiness long after drying. Waxes? Maybe fine, but would they change with time and temperature, maybe collect dirt after a while? On another track I'd worry about an oil based product deteriorating the surface..

My front gaucho has been very balky to pull out. There is an aluminum channel as a guide on either end. The sit-upon part of the gaucho slides in that channel with some nylon guides at each end. After probably 30 years of neglect the movement is jerky and needs strong persuasion to move -- all the ingredients to tear it apart. I sprayed this product and presto!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

I have been using silicone grease or paste as lubricant for over 30 years and never found a better replacement. I just bought a new Chevy and was surprised to see they recommended silicone paste for rubber, plastic etc. which i have always used. It is very expensive ($18 for 8 ounces) but it goes a long way. A thin coat will lubricate for a long time. You can buy 3M silicone Paste (Part No 08946) in some auto parts.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
mountain view , California
I just replaced all my tambours.

I replaced them with new maple vaneer and they were to thick to work with the tracks, so I used a drill bit and ran it back and forth through the track to widen it. I did this with seven doors on both sides and they all work fine now. After using the drill bit you will need to use a file to smooth them out. It takes some time but you shouldnt have to worry about and oils or residues.
reece1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Frederic,

When I replaced my disintigrating and missing tambour with fabric backed tambour the new tambour was also too thick for the tracks.

Instead of widening the tracks, I removed the fabric from only the portion of the tambour that slides in the tracks. Works beautifully now. An added benefit (at least in my mind....) is that with no cloth in the tracks there is no fuzz build up in the tracks from the fabric.

- Mark
qjktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
DuPont Teflon Dry Lube. A fairly new product that is probably one of the best for lubricating anything out there. It goes on wet, dries quickly and leaves a nice slippery DRY FILM on everything you put it on. Lowes Home Centers under $5. Comes in spray or liquid. I have been using it on just about everything...including bicycle and motorcycle chains. It keeps them clean yet very slippery .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
When I was a younger man, I was an avid scuba diver. I used a silicone based wax to lube the zippers on my wet suits. About a month ago I was reorganizing some of my material possessions and I came across a stick of this stuff . It was about 16 years old and still looked as good as the day I bought it. In addition to zippers, I discovered it worked great on drawer slides and sliding door tracks, even in extreme temperatures.

After a Google search, I couldn't find the exact brand I used, but today's equivalent seems to be Max Wax.

http://tinyurl.com/k6ytx
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Bremen , Alabama
Where did purchase the new tambour? I have not been to locate any.
Thanks - Bertis
airstream74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Bertis,

I bought new tambour from Winona Manufacturing:

http://www.winonamanufacturing.com/

- Mark
qjktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
tambour trouble

glad i did a ssearch on this topic. i have problems w/ my tambours sliding. they are in decent shape and will go out and buy some of these sprays. maybe a couple to compare. hopefully this will be one of the few "easy fixes"

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote