Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Any suggestions on refinishing veneer cabinets

My wife and I want to somehow change the finish of the cabinets in our '78 31' sovereign. We have the dark veneer lined cabinets and we'd really like to lighten it up. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do since there is so much cabinetry. I was thinking of trying to get some newer veneer but have never done that. Also was thinking of just painting the cabinets since they are all in good shape.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or has done this, I'd appreciate your comments.

thanks,

Tony
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Cabinets on a 78 are vinyl (laminate) covered not veneer. You could use another wood grade vinyl decal material if you could find one. I bought a roll of it from 3M many years ago to redo the fake wood on a 66 Ford station wagon. The vinyl covering on the walls has a tendancy to shrink after many years and come loose. Cabinets in mine are still sticking for now. You might try vinyl wall paper with a good glue.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Most of the cabinetry is laminate, like what is used on a kitchen counter. You are talking a massive amount of work to redo that aspect of it. The simplest would be to paint it. You will need to use a degreaser and something to rough up the surface prior to painting. Then you will need a good high grade primer prior to the color coat. I have seen it done before and it looked very nice...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
refinishing cabinetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Cabinets on a 78 are vinyl (laminate) covered not veneer. You could use another wood grade vinyl decal material if you could find one. I bought a roll of it from 3M many years ago to redo the fake wood on a 66 Ford station wagon. The vinyl covering on the walls has a tendancy to shrink after many years and come loose. Cabinets in mine are still sticking for now. You might try vinyl wall paper with a good glue.
Hi Dwight; This is exactly my problem as well. We have a 1973 26' Argosy with very dark interior cabinetry which my wife does not like. I have done considerable research on re coating of this thin vinyl covering. I was told that most paints especially enamels will soften that vinyl. Also, that sanding it may damage the integrity of the thin vinyl. Good cleaning was recommended following with a very light primer coat of 3M #05907 adhesive promoter which is very expensive at $29.98 per pint spray can. I have used the product on other plastic components and it worked very well, but the price is very prohibitive for re doing the cabinetry. I have some more research to do in that aspect, because 4 millimeter thickness exterior ply is very hard to find. Finding it with one side finished is even more difficult. 1/4" ply does not quite fit well into the retainer clips. If I find 4 MM one side finished light color ply I will opt for replacement using a Epifanes Varnish over light shade of stain before installing everything back in place. I wonder if anyone knows of source of replacement of paneling for that purpose. My Arg will soon be ready for the interior and that dilemma has me stuck in place. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
3,4,6,9 mm okoume plywood

Plantation grown african mahogany is available from Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis. Boats Plans Boat Kits Kayaks Canoes Sailboats Rowing Boats - Chesapeake Light Craft LLC. I'm part way thru building one of their Chesapeake 14 kits.The 3 and 4 mm are light colored, you could also stain to your delight. These folks are great to work with also.Down side is shipping cost.Besides kayaks they also have other small craft including a marvelous wherry. There are other places to get okoume on the west coast. It's a solid ply NO voids, wonderful to work with. best of luck. Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak 004.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	34246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak 003.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	34247  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Paint it

I've posted my experiences with painting the interior a bunch of times so I kind of regard myself as sort of an evangelist for doing it. Wipe everything down to get rid of surface gunk. Then use Sherwin-williams bonding primer which can be tinted to nearly your final color if you're using a light color. In phase one of my remodeling I even painted some of the tambours until I decided they were such a pain in the a$$ to use that I had a finish carpenter make new fronts for the cabinets. You can see in this picture the bulkheads painted light. I tried all kinds of stuff to try to light up the fake wood but nothing works but painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream int_1.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	34248  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you want to keep the wood look and don't might the expense and time, Home Depot and others sell a 1/32 veneer in a variety of woods with a heat activated adhesive on it. You simply cut a piece to fit and then use a clothes iron (set on wool temperature) to stick it down. Stain it and varnish it just like real wood. I repaired 63 my water damaged veneered dresser top with it after I removed the damaged veneer.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
One more option that my PO did was a gel stain. With the bruch strokes it does a reasonable job in simulating wood grain and is available in many shades. I don't have any real good photos, I can go out and shoot more if interested. The bulkheads and upper cabinets were gel stained.
Dave
Attached Images

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote