Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

Question And now I lay me down to.......

.....SLEEP, I can't sleep, I ain't got no stink'n mattress!

As the time of my full time A/S dwelling fast approaches, I find myself without a mattress for my center twin. In researching traditional mattresses for home use, I find they are much wider than the space I have available (33" X 76"). Most home style twins are 37"-38" wide.

I don't want to go back to the cheap foam pad that was there, as I'll be sleeping here for quite some time. I've seen ads for box mattresses from various RV stores, but they state they can be "rolled up for convienent shipping". Rolled up! What kind of support can I expect from a mattress that fits in a mailing tube?

Any suggestions you enlightened owners (and hopefully sound sleepers) can shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated. What mattress do you use, and where did you find it (once again, I need it to fit within my space limitations)? Has anyone tried the folding mattress from the RV suppliers? Any buying suggestions?

Thanks!
John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
And now I lay me down to.......

Greetings John-Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea

As the time of my full time A/S dwelling fast approaches, I find myself without a mattress for my center twin. In researching traditional mattresses for home use, I find they are much wider than the space I have available (33" X 76"). Most home style twins are 37"-38" wide.

I don't want to go back to the cheap foam pad that was there, as I'll be sleeping here for quite some time. I've seen ads for box mattresses from various RV stores, but they state they can be "rolled up for convienent shipping". Rolled up! What kind of support can I expect from a mattress that fits in a mailing tube?

Any suggestions you enlightened owners (and hopefully sound sleepers) can shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated. What mattress do you use, and where did you find it (once again, I need it to fit within my space limitations)? Has anyone tried the folding mattress from the RV suppliers? Any buying suggestions?

Thanks!
John-Boy
When refurbishing the interior of my '64 Overlander (center twin), I had a local custom mattress shop produce a pair of innerspring mattresses for the project. There was a $75 up-charge for special sizes, but the result was certainly worth the additional cost - - the mattresse are so comfortable that I have purchased duplicate sets for both my home bedroom and guest bedroom as well. I believe that the pair was in the vicinity of $750. Mine were purchased from Lebeda Mattress Factory in Marion, Iowa. You will likely find several such manufacturers in your local yellow pages.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
When refurbishing the interior of my '64 Overlander (center twin), I had a local custom mattress shop produce a pair of innerspring mattresses for the project.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin! That's an avenue I haven't pursued yet. I'll check into it and see what I find.

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 10-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some sources for RV mattresses...

John-boy,

The following sites offer custom made RV mattresses. I have not purchased anything from any of them so I can only offer them as a resource to check.

http://www.foamsource.com/overview.php/9

http://www.sdiproducts.com/sdiproducts/rvmattress.html

http://www.foamorder.com/

Some threads that discuss mattress options are:

"Do you know of a source for replacement mattresses?"
"Ever use a foam mattress pad?"
"Airstream twin Bed solutions"

I would be interested to know if one of them works out since I will eventually need to do something for my AS. Of couse others might be interested too.

Hope this helps some,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
John-Boy... I second Kevin's vote! We bought a visco-foam queen mattress for the Behemoth from Lebeda as well. They'll ship nation-wide, and make a mattress to your specs... http://www.lebeda.com/

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Same Vote here. My wife and I had two mattresses made at the local mattress factory here in Jefferson City, MO for our center twin bed rig. They were $129 each. We opted for a foam/fiber construction which is not too tall and fits the bed like a handmade glove. Since it was a special order we also allowed them to cover the mattress with whatever they were running in the factory at the time which saved us money over what we would have paid for a specific cover.

Look around, you may be closer to a solution than you realize. I'm surprised how many small mattress factories there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
John-Boy... I second Kevin's vote! We bought a visco-foam queen mattress for the Behemoth from Lebeda as well. They'll ship nation-wide, and make a mattress to your specs... http://www.lebeda.com/

Roger
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
I'm a big fan of futons. With a piece of 2" foam on top, they're great...And cheap, and custom sizable. That's my home rig as well (17 years). I use the 5 layer, but a spring core is also available. Great for the back, too.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:

Has anyone tried the folding mattress from the RV suppliers? Any buying suggestions?

Thanks!
John-Boy
John-Boy,

Orange County has a manufacturer called Custom Comfort Mattress company. They do custom orders for a very reasonable price.
It might be worth your time to contact them and have a mattress made, special for you.
They are a direct sales manufacturer, their quality is excellent, and their prices are unbeatable in this area.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
If I were full timing I would consider nothing less than a Tempur-Pedic foam mattress; with the type of foam that was developed by NASA. I know they are expensive but they sleep well. We have one in our home.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Krowsea, If you can make it over to Quartzsite, Az. I can fix you up with a very comfortable innerspring 33x75 twin mattress specifically designed for RV use but made to high end home mattress standards. I own Plush RV, an RV replacement mattress and bedding company, and we specialize in selling high end replacement mattresses for RV's. We have a variety of high quality mattress designs manufactured in Phoenix, Az. to our specifications and they come in either pillowtop or tight top designs. We will be up and running in Quartzsite by November 7 and we will have a pair of pillowtop 33x75 mattresses in stock at that time. Our showroom is located in space A43 at Rice Ranch which is on the southeast corner where highway 95 crosses I10.

Questions? Email: thombiz@yahoo.com
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #11
1 Rivet Short

Wow, that's a lot of great information. Aren't you all just a bunch of happy campers! I've bookmarked the links and I'm going to check out some of the resources mentioned. I was afraid my prospects would be fairly slim, this makes me feel much better. Thanks everyone!

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 10-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
john-Boy, I usually feel like the princess with the pea problem, so uncomfortable on so many mattresses, but in our Airstream, we sleep contentedly on the old ordinary AS queen mattress with a two inch memory foam pad placed over. Max swears that when we are on the road and living in the AS, we are so happy that we could sleep on nails and have sweet dreams! I had no faith that such a simple solution would work for us, but it did. So well in fact, that I went right out and purchased the same memory foam pad to cushion our king bed in the house-we now love both. Simple. Cost effective. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's! Just another idea to consider! By the way, Mtjim, I nearly fell off my computer chair when I read "Jefferson City" and saw New Bloomfield on your ID. A forum member in the neighborhood! Welcome, and I hope we meet up someday with our Airstreams
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:15 PM   #13
1 Rivet Short

MaxandGeorgia,

Thanks for the info! One question, I've heard from some sources that the memory foam type mattress retain heat, and can be hot to sleep on. Have you experienced that? It gets pretty hot here, so that's a concern.

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 10-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
MaxandGeorgia,

Thanks for the info! One question, I've heard from some sources that the memory foam type mattress retain heat, and can be hot to sleep on. Have you experienced that? It gets pretty hot here, so that's a concern.

John-Boy
Debbie & I have been using the 2" memory(visco)-foam topper for over 2 years in our trailer(s). Would not consider going without it again. We live in Texas & have used it in summer, yes, it has a slight tendency to 'feel warm' when only covered with a sheet. We put a quilted mattress pad on 1st, then the sheet. The pad alows your body to 'breathe' (wick perspiration). Learned that years ago with a water bed!!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote