Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question '74 vs '85: is the furniture interchangeable?

Assuming that two trailers are parked side by each, are there any differences between 1974 and 1985 31-footers as far as interior sizes go? Is the interior width, height, and curve of the walls the same?

Let me explain: I have an opportunity to purchase some very nice interior furniture relatively nearby, and I need to know if 1985 31' Excella furniture will fit in my 1974 Sovereign.

Specifically the galley, kitchen shelving storage, and refer enclosure: are they interchangeable? Also, will the 1985 gaucho fit in the front of my 1974?

I know that AS did change the shape of its TTs' hulls over the years, but while I don't see anything obvious, I would very much appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I put a couch from a 1990 something Excella in ours. I had to trim off quite a bit of the credenza where the radio is on order for it to fit. I couldn't trim the credenza evenly, since it also holds the table, so there is a bump out just past the couch. The couch will not fold out into a bed, but I was more concerned with sitting on it, not sleeping on it. Most of the other stuff will also fit, with modification.
The body itself is the same width and height.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks, Terry.

I figured that somehow you might have had a related experience. I measured the width of the '85 when I visited the seller this week, and measured the same point in my trailer when I was there yesterday, and there was less than an inch difference in width which gave me hope.

But the other parts I wanted to fit in Henri will not go. I am still going to buy some of what I need, but not everything I had hoped.

Thanks again!