Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
'64 Overlander Rebuild

I am embarking on my new project, a 1964 26' Overlander rebuild.
Pictures to follow.
My first question is: Does anyone know if the species of Oak on the cabinets is Red or White Oak? My guess is Flat sawn Red Oak. I will need to do some veneering and don't have samples.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Gary.

I don't know where you are planning to buy the veneer, but most sellers, even the online ones, have some means to get you samples if you ask...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My CA built '63 had a typical species of oak called "delaminated"...

From the remains, the grain looked like red oak with a fairly dark stain. The grain popped out pretty noticably.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
64 Overlander Rebuild

Greetings Janet's Husband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband View Post
I am embarking on my new project, a 1964 26' Overlander rebuild.
Pictures to follow.
My first question is: Does anyone know if the species of Oak on the cabinets is Red or White Oak? My guess is Flat sawn Red Oak. I will need to do some veneering and don't have samples.

Thanks
There was a difference of species between the Land Yacht and International trim levels and there may have been a difference between California and Ohio coaches. My 1964 Overlander International from the Ohio factory seemed to have white flat sawn Oak. When the new panel beside my refirgerator was replaced, my notes indicate that white oak and my memory says that it was flat sawn. The stain that was utilized is a golden oak, but I don't remember the name as Watco Oil products weren't readily available.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

P.S.: My speculation is that there may have been species differences throughout production depending upon what was available at that time. There seemed to have been an unusually large number of 1964 Airstream coaches manufactured, and the interior woods even among Land Yachts or Internationals seem to have had some variances in the wood utilized in their cabinetry. 1964 Airstreams have been my favorite Vintage for a number of years, and I try not to miss an opportunity to look at a 1964 for comparison.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
There seemed to have been an unusually large number of 1964 Airstream coaches manufactured, and the interior woods even among Land Yachts or Internationals seem to have had some variances in the wood utilized in their cabinetry.
That is precisely why I believe that a sample is not just important, but essential.

Failing that, and assuming the work that Gary has in mind is not to patch, then another choice would be to select a contrasting wood. That is always and attractive as well as stylish look.