Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Healdsburg , California
2014 International Onyx Interior Cabinets Falling Apart..Suggestions for Replacement

Suggestions for replacement materials...I'm thinking all metal or some kind of plastic.

The thinly veneered cabinets throughout (I'm talking ALL) are all crumbling as the composite material underneath is extremely porous. It looks like balsa wood.

I am a fanatic when it comes to climate control and humidity. Even though I am in a pretty dry area (Sonoma County, CA), I have two de humidifiers and have fans going 24/7 in all weather conditions.

Despite these precautions, there has been extensive moisture damage to all the interior cabinets resulting in mold or rot throughout.

I am looking at replacing everything with something more durable...like metal. Does anyone have experience with this as an interior material? I have also seen some interesting and attractive things done with plastics. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
2KME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Is there a chance that the trailer is still under warranty?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
http://www.orangealuminum.com/t-slot...ad-tracks.html

Frame and skins, maybe?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
OK - I'm confused. The interior walls, door and cabinets in my Flying Cloud are laminated plywood, not particle board/MSB/OSB/whatever. I'm also certain I have seen Airstream advertise plywood cabinets rather than particle board.

Are the Internationals different? Or did the OP's unit become infested with carpenter ants or termites? (seems unlikely in CA). TO have that type of moisture damage with 2 dehumidifiers going in that climate sounds like massive water intrusion as well. I live in FL, and in our previous trailer (11 years old) it was stored here with nothing but some Damp Rid containers inside and we had no moisture, rot or mildew issues.

Something doesn't add up here
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Why would you be even thinking of replacing the cabinets on a 2014,contact Vinnies north bay repair in Santa Rosa he will point you in the right direction mine is 10 years old and new as the day from factory.
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Something is very wrong here. We have a 2014 International Signature, and all interior laminates are fine. I don't see how all those laminates could all be falling apart in a well-cared-for trailer unless you somehow got a bad batch throughout. Definitely worth chatting with Airstream customer service and your local dealer to see what the heck is going on.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
What about MOLD? I wouldn't want to be living/traveling in a trailer that has a moisture problem because I would be afraid of all that often goes with it. I 2nd the "go to Vinnie" advice. You're incredibly close. (We will be taking our trailer to him next month & it's a 4 hour drive, & we are really happy it's only 4 hours.)
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
I noticed you posted back in December that both of your vent fans stopped working.

You also posted that you've been full-timing for over a year.

Could the lack of vent fans and constant usage possibly contribute to your humidity issues?

Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Healdsburg , California
Calling Vinnie.

Found water damage all throughout floor. Some kind of leak from underneath or through walls/seams maybe as there is water damage in the middle of the floor in some areas, not just under sinks, shower and toilet where it is pretty bad, especially the kitchen sink and front door.

Have had my Airstream parked on cement next to a small cottage the last six months and had not noticed anything amiss even though I go in it every day. The cabinets sort of peeling away both on top and bottom had me take a look under the vinyl flooring yesterday.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Water Damage

Keep us posted on your findings and cause of damage. This ought to be interesting!
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
van nuys , California
cabinets falling apart? get rid of wood.

The enemy of wood and laminated veneers is water and by extension , condensation. In the last few years as an architect/designer I have designed cabinetry for clients using aluminum extrusions and aluminum composites. There is a huge choice of colors and thickness (3mm, 4mm, 6mm) These products are used principally outdoors and are extremely strong, light and perfectly at home in an Airstream. I will be happy to pass on knowledge . Companies like Alpolic and Alucobond have extensive literature on the web. Aluminum is the hottest material on the market.
Good luck
Didier
starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Healdsburg , California
I called Vinnie and described everything I was seeing and he said it sounded like a bad water valve. Essentially, water has been leaking somewhere internally and the floors and probably insulation have been soaking up the water leading to mold and rot and the interior falling apart. Of course he has to see it in person to be sure, but that was his guess. He told me to call Jackson Center and find out how I should proceed and offered to check out the problem and talk to them if necessary. He was as great as everyone who has worked with him says...I'm lucky to be so close to him!

I called Jackson Center after that and the rep asked for photos so they could see what was going on.

I am just devistated.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Stream

Can you keep us posted as to what they find as for the cause?
Sounds like a lot of damage....Sorry to hear about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Healdsburg , California
It has been a week since I sent photos to Jackson Center. Gretchen Behr is the representative I spoke with and asked for pictures to see what was going on.

I have called her three times since then and have gotten voicemail every time and no return call, even if just to let me know that she doesn't know anything yet. Is this typical? I don't know what to expect, but as this is a serious issue, I would think letting me know some kind of status isn't unrealistic, or is it?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Water Damage

Not good customer service with no response. Consider contacting the dealer in which you purchased the unit? I would think that dealer that is near you should be able to handle warranty issue's or at least help you proceed in the process.