Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
2007 Safari "Wood" Finish

Has anyone tried to duplicate the "wood" finish in this model of Safari on actual oak or can anyone tell me what Airstream or their supplier use for finish? Some of the corner trim seems to be oak.

I have not tried anything yet but I am fast approaching the finishing stage of the project and hope someone has successfully gotten close to duplicating the finish on real wood. First thing I'll try is to bleach the wood, sand it and apply clear satin polyurethane. The stuff looks like it has a little fruit wood or something in the Airstream finish though.

I know that most of the "wood" in the trailer is either laminate or plywood. I am using solid oak and oak ply to build new beds and such.
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
BTW, I have at least one corner cabinet, the bottom frame for the "full" size bed and some front sofa pieces if anyone wants them. Free to a good home.
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Rather than trying bleach, I suggest experimenting on a spare piece of oak and/or oak veneer with something containing light-colored pigments. There are pigmented stains which you can buy, but I have had success (other projects) with ordinary interior flat wall paint ("latex") thinned with water so that the wood shows through. If the color is about right, try some of your finish over it to see how the color will end up because most finishes will cause some change.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote