Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravelle > 1980 Caravelle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Got it home

Well we got it home or first AS. 1980 24ft Caravelle.
Now the fun part starts. Outside is in really good shape just some black marks on it from a tarp rubbing on it. Any ideas to get them off would be welcome. Inside will take some work. Just want to get every thing working to start with. Also get a service manual since Airstream says that the owner's manual for this model are not available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers pictures 209.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	191316   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers pictures 211.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	191317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers pictures 210.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	191318  
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I would first try washing the black marks gently with auto shampoo, water and a soft sponge or rag, as if you're just washing your Airstream. Don't rub too hard; you don't want to damage the underlying finish on the aluminum.

If the black marks don't come off by just washing the panels, I'd try a little auto wax (like Turtle Wax or whatever you have handy) in a small area, to see if the solvents in the wax will loosen up the black stuff. It might just dissolve and rub off. If that works, just wax the areas where the black residue is.

Next, you might try an art gum eraser. These are made of soft gum with absolutely no abrasives that will cause scratches. Again, tray a small area first.

Do not use anything abrasive, like Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend, because this will damage the finish and scratch the aluminum. Basically, don't put anything on the aluminum panels that you wouldn't put on the painted finish on a new car.

If none of the above works, you might try a commercial "goo" remover, like Goo Gone or a similar product. Just try a small area to see what happens before smearing it all over the side of your Airstream. Be careful, as some products contain strong solvents that will dissolve clear coat and whatever other finish may be applied to the aluminum panels.

Good luck!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Fort Worth , Texas
Handyman, what brand of aluminum polish did you end up going with? I tried brasso with no luck and also zep.
SarahCaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
I used Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. I did not try and remove the marks completely but they are not as noticeable now.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
You might contact the Wally Byam club about your manuals. They seem to have some in their files and will make a copy for you for small fee.