Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1975 - 1978 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Our 'Interesting Craigslist Find' 1976 Caravanner

02-08-2010, 12:23 PM #972 VIKING
Rivet Master

Profile: 1964 22' Safari
Boulder Creek , California Posts: 882

1976 Airstream 25'

Make a deal in Menlo Park! Not bad for its condition.

02-08-2010, 07:42 PM #973 browniiis88
1987 Excella 32'

Profile: 1987 32' Excella
Paso Robles , California Posts: 10

1977 airstream 31 (7,000)

02-08-2010, 08:00 PM #974 webspinner
2 Rivet Member

Profile: 1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California Posts: 40
Airstream Registry
webspinner's Airstream The Tin Pickle

Viking, the Menlo Park posting was deleted by the time I got to it in the evening. Do you remember any details?

I'm just curious about what might have showed up in our back yard. Maybe it's better not to know.

We went to Turlock for ours, also through craigslist. The ebay ones all seemed to be in North Carolina.

02-08-2010, 08:06 PM #975 webspinner
2 Rivet Member

Profile: 1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California Posts: 40
Airstream Registry
webspinner's Airstream The Tin Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING
1976 Airstream 25'

Make a deal in Menlo Park! Not bad for its condition.

Apparently it sold fast and someone is looking to buy it off the recent buyer. Now I'm REALLY curious. I don't know particulars about price or model or condition in the original ad, but someone is now willing to pay $3,000 for it.

Did you buy an Airstream today?

02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
VIKING
Rivet Master

Profile: 1964 22' Safari
Boulder Creek , California Posts: 882

It was in good looking condition but not much detail in the ad. The seller bought the stream with a piece of property and wanted to off it fast. He had little idea of value from what I recall of his description. Partially polished, completely untested systems... I recall he stated that he couldn't show it right away
The shell looked quite straight from the pics. It will be a worthwhile restore if it gets in the right persons hands before the price runs up too high.

Rich the Viking

Yep, that's our 1976 Caravanner.

Gemma had emailed the seller the day the ad was posted and never received a response. She continued to check Craiglist to see if the ad was still posted. A few days after, the ad was updated with the sellers' phone number. She called immediately and got through to the gentleman selling the Airstream. He explained that he got innundated with emails and was overwhelmed by the response, so had decided to post his telephone number so that he speak with interested parties immediately. Gemma was the first person to call and made arrangements to see it immediately. (She made him promise not to sell it before we arrived.) We arrived an hour later and purchased it immediately. Thank you George!

The trailer's exterior is dent free with the exception of the usual "kisses" along the banana wrap. The clear coat has been stripped and the first pass of polishing has been accomplished. The beltline and rub rail blue inserts are new. Some of the windows have some condensation. Some of the glass has been replaced and the workmanship is shoddy at best. The front, side and rear "bulls eye" marker lights were missing - well alright, all of them were missing. The light fixture right above the door was literally hanging by a wire - we discovered this AFTER we had brought it home. It doesn't seem to have been washed since at least 2008, and it hadn't been registered since then either.

The interior had some crazy built in desks, one curbside, one streetside. The curbside gaucho was obviously gone. The front gaucho had been stripped of upholstery fabric. The galley panel facing towards the front gaucho was removed to accommodate the streetside desk/credenza. The stove and oven were rusty and the oven handle was broken. The pantry door, streetside, to the left of the galley, had a broken latch which caused its door to rip off of its one good hinge. The galley's lower cabinet's tambour was missing. There was a throw pillow stuffed into the front vent and the vents screens had never been cleaned! The vent and light lenses were discolored and warped. The window screen frames were painted white, but had not been prepped prior to them being painted. Bamboo flooring was installed recently.

The city water works as does the hot water heater and air conditioner. The freezer works on both electric and propane. The stove works too. The 12v lights work with the exception of the light fixture above the galley sink. The bath and vent light lenses were yellowed and warped. We can't seem to get the furnace started and the water pump doesn't seem to work. It does pull great however, and it tracks even better.

Are you thinking, "How are they going to restore that thing?" Well this is where AirForums and Oakland 1976 come in!

08-07-2009, 09:47 AM #21 oakland 1976
Profile: 1976 25' Caravanner
Alameda , California Posts: 2

Hello! We just got a '76 caravanner to remodel and use as a photo darkroom/studio. I know this might offend everyone, but we wanted to gut it to make room for darkroom sink, etc. We're wondering if anyone would be interested in the appliances? We're in Oakland, CA.

08-07-2009, 11:54 AM #22 tphan
Rivet Master

Profile: 1972 27' Overlander
estes park , Colorado Posts: 643

Come on- pictures of this model, please! I did not know there were '70's Caravanners.

08-11-2009, 08:12 AM #23 toddster
4 Rivet Member

Profile: 1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California Posts: 325

Oakland 1976,

Don't do it. Get a more common Ambassador or Sovereign. The '76 Caravanners are rare!!! Seriously...

BTW, I'm in the SouthBay & I'd like to stop by one of these days and check out your trailer
08-11-2009, 10:08 AM #24 ticki2
Rivet Master

Profile: 1976 25' Caravanner
Campton , New Hampshire Posts: 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster
Oakland 1976,

Don't do it. Get a more common Ambassador or Sovereign. The '76 Caravanners are rare!!! Seriously...

BTW, I'm in the SouthBay & I'd like to stop by one of these days and check out your trailer

I'll second that . Besides , there are too many windows to make a good darkroom. A Tradewind is the same size if thats the criteria.

Oakland 1976 posted on August 7th, 2009 offering the appliances AND interior from their Caravanner. Little did we know when we picked up the items last summer that we would own a 1976 Caravanner in the future. We had originally planned to use the items for spare parts for our 1974 Tradewind.

So thank you Erica and Zach and thank you AirForums. We truly could not have done it with out you!

We love it already and think it might be our favorite trailer so far!

We'll post additional images and update you on our progress soon. Wish us luck!
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Very cool find guys!
Congratulations, I can't wait to see it.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Thanks Rich!

We'll look forward to seeing you soon.

Your friends,

Tags