Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
You know what Chaps my butt..

This owners manual on my Stream. It really lacks the fundamentals. No pics on locations of things ,i.e. drains,gray tank valves/black valves...which is which. How to maintain batteries, there is so much I want to learn and it doesn't tell you squat.

Guess I'm gonna buy a service manual. Just makes me mad. I'm pretty green to the whole rv thing and if you were to take this book with you and just go, it doesn't help you at all. I know the dealer was suppose to show you a lot of things but my gosh....the newness the excitement, you forget a lot of the stuff. Just aggravating. I'm sure I can fumble my way through it but... Another example is there is a water heater switch on the wall in the bathroom with a red kight next to it. I push it and it lights up for 2-3 seconds. I assume because there is no water in the tank. But when water is in it does it light up and stay on? Does the temp stay a constant temp? Is there a way to adjust the temp? How does it light? Automatic?.....

I know I could call the dealer or even airstream but dang, I'd be on the phone forever. Just seems the owners book would be more detailed.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
This forum is your manual. Everything you want to know is here. If it isn't, just ask. Chances are, somebody has faced the same problem or had the same question.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
With respect to the water heater, you should have a manual for that particular appliance that is published by the manufacturer (presumably Atwood). If not, you can go to their web site and download it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

You know what Chaps my butt..???

Skiing without pants???

Sorry, but when I saw the title of this thread, that's the first thing that came to mind.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
This owners manual on my Stream. It really lacks the fundamentals. No pics on locations of things ,i.e. drains,gray tank valves/black valves...which is which. How to maintain batteries, there is so much I want to learn and it doesn't tell you squat.
I find this to be true on most rv's, not just Airstream. They usually include a big package with appliance manuals. Did you find the package?

Quote:
Guess I'm gonna buy a service manual. Just makes me mad. I'm pretty green to the whole rv thing and if you were to take this book with you and just go, it doesn't help you at all. I know the dealer was suppose to show you a lot of things but my gosh....the newness the excitement, you forget a lot of the stuff. Just aggravating. I'm sure I can fumble my way through it but...
It's impossible to retain all this information on how the unit works. Don't feel bad....it'll eventually all make sense.

Quote:
Another example is there is a water heater switch on the wall in the bathroom with a red kight next to it. I push it and it lights up for 2-3 seconds. I assume because there is no water in the tank. But when water is in it does it light up and stay on? Does the temp stay a constant temp? Is there a way to adjust the temp? How does it light? Automatic?.....
Flick the switch, then when the light goes off, it means the water heater is in operation. If the light stays on, there's something wrong and it won't light. It keeps the temperature, via a control unit. So if it comes on and off periodically, then that's how it is designed to keep the water hot. You can turn it off when you won't need hot water for a while, since it reheats pretty quickly.

Quote:
I know I could call the dealer or even airstream but dang, I'd be on the phone forever. Just seems the owners book would be more detailed.

Shane
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Guess I'm gonna buy a service manual. Just makes me mad. I'm pretty green to the whole rv thing and if you were to take this book with you and just go, it doesn't help you at all. I know the dealer was suppose to show you a lot of things but my gosh....the newness the excitement, you forget a lot of the stuff. Just aggravating. I'm sure I can fumble my way through it but... Another example is there is a water heater switch on the wall in the bathroom with a red kight next to it. I push it and it lights up for 2-3 seconds. I assume because there is no water in the tank. But when water is in it does it light up and stay on? Does the temp stay a constant temp? Is there a way to adjust the temp? How does it light? Automatic?.....

Shane
Shane.

Obviously the selling dealer did a poor job of giving you a complete "customer check out".

That check out deals with the specifics of what you purchased.

All the service manuals attempt to do, is give you the basics, and not much more.

Again, the selling dealer is also supposed be your friend "after the sale", to answer your questions and assist you verbally or otherwise.

If not, then you can let others know that you were let down, and by whom.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Ok please don't laugh, I have a furnace. Works nicely, btw...but the heat pump??? whats the purpose of that? I have an ac. Or is the heat pump an ac? On my digital control panel there is an option for, ac,furnace,fan and heat pump.

Thanks, I'll go to room after this,....Sorry

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Shane.

Obviously the selling dealer did a poor job of giving you a complete "customer check out".

That check out deals with the specifics of what you purchased.

All the service manuals attempt to do, is give you the basics, and not much more.

Again, the selling dealer is also supposed be your friend "after the sale", to answer your questions and assist you verbally or otherwise.

If not, then you can let others know that you were let down, and by whom.

Andy
Ok Andy, IF I were to EXPLOREUSA then I'd probably not be able to it very well with the help I had.

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Ok please don't laugh, I have a furnace. Works nicely, btw...but the heat pump??? whats the purpose of that? I have an ac. Or is the heat pump an ac? On my digital control panel there is an option for, ac,furnace,fan and heat pump.

Thanks, I'll go to room after this,....Sorry

SHane
Very basically, a heat pump is an air conditioner running in reverse. Instead of transferring heat from the inside of the trailer to the outside, it takes heat from the outside and transfers it to the inside. It will only work if it is not too cold outside, roughly 40 degs F and above. It takes as much power to run in heat pump mode as it does in A/C mode.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, a heat pump is what you get when your AC unit will reverse it's effect.

In other words, it trys to air condition the outdoors, therefore heating the interior of your trailer.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You are right. Owners Manuals don't tell you much. Sounds like a Service Manual would be useful. However, a service manual, though not rocket science, assumes a familiarity with basic RV systems. You might find one of the several RV maintenance references helpful. I have Trailer Life's RV Maintenance and Repair Manual
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Did you not get a Northface brief case with the manuals and dvd? I have a 2010 FC and that is what I got. As for the h20 heater, the red light shows the auto ignition and goes out when the heater is lit.. The temp is non adj as far as I know.
Anyway, the dealer should have gone over this with you and do folow-up instruction.
Good luck and enjoy
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I got a Kelty brief case. You got a North Face? Lucky!!!!

He showed me how to turn it on but didn't explain much.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

He showed me how to turn it on but didn't explain much.

Shane
Shane,

You definitely have an issue with your dealer.

Our trailer is a bit older and our briefcase contained a lot of info, although most not legible, especially the wiring, plumbing, and waste system. Took over a year to get legible copies from AS after our dealer closed and we had to start doing our own warranty repaires.

The DVD is a nice touch, I would have thought they would have made some improvements in the owners manual.

Bob
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Shane,

You definitely have an issue with your dealer.

Our trailer is a bit older and our briefcase contained a lot of info, although most not legible, especially the wiring, plumbing, and waste system. Took over a year to get legible copies from AS after our dealer closed and we had to start doing our own warranty repaires.

The DVD is a nice touch, I would have thought they would have made some improvements in the owners manual.

Bob
The sales guy or any sales guy for that matter didn't know much about Airstreams at all.

Don't get me wrong, the "walk around" guys were awesome. Showed me a lot. Asked me if I had any questions but I didn't and still don't know what to ask. I'm learning as I go. <stating the obvious>
I don't think they are there to teach you HOW to Rv,...just teach you what yours does. Example would be: The heat pump, I should already have an idea how that works. He showed me how to turn it on and not to use it below 40* but thats it. Understandable. I just want more knowledge, thats all.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The sales guy or any sales guy for that matter didn't know much about Airstreams at all.

Don't get me wrong, the "walk around" guys were awesome. Showed me a lot. Asked me if I had any questions but I didn't and still don't know what to ask. I'm learning as I go. <stating the obvious>
I don't think they are there to teach you HOW to Rv,...just teach you what yours does. Example would be: The heat pump, I should already have an idea how that works. He showed me how to turn it on and not to use it below 40* but thats it. Understandable. I just want more knowledge, thats all.

Shane
Shane.

Ask all the questions you want, on this Forums.

You can also go to rallies and learn even more, at least until rallies may be no more. But you may not want to be a member, which is OK.

Just because you own an Airstream doesn't mean you must join the club.

And lastly, see if you can locate a buddy or two, locally, especially those that like to have a cool one, or two, while you all are chit chatting.

Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Shane,

I understand what you mean about the manuals being pretty vague. You should get a service manual if you can. Airstream's website lists them for selected models from 1972-1984, so I don't what would be involved in getting one for a brand new trailer. I refer to the 1984 one I got constantly. Much more information, and useful info.

As for the rest, there is always Anti Monkey Butt Powder.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
manuals

Please understand, that Airstream "does not" write those manuals.

They are written by a publishing company.

That's why the older manuals, contained many errors.

Andy
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I totally agree with Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Please understand, that Airstream "does not" write those manuals.

They are written by a publishing company.

That's why the older manuals, contained many errors.

Andy

Oh come on - that's no excuse . My Owners Manual for my '73 is almost completely useless. I am surprised to hear that the new manuals are equally pathetic. The Owners Manual for automobiles are very practical and full of details. Why isn't the same amount of effort/quality put into RV Owner Manuals?

With the help of some kind folks, I got my original antenna raised this weekend. One of the guys reminded me to position it correctly befoe lowering. Now that's an EXCELLENT point. The Owners Manual (nor Service Manual) does not mention this detail at all. Some newbies wouldn't even think of that basic step!!! Doh.

I do understand the need for a dealer to provide a detailed explaination of the RV but, with Airstreams, it's likely the thing will be on the road for decades and experience multiple owners.

Since I'm preparing for layoff - maybe I can approach Airstream about producing an effective Owners Manual! Maybe they'd be willing to barter

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Shane
Call Airstream and see if there is a Service Manual Available for you unit. Then while you have them on the phone let them know that you are unhappy with the Dealer You bought it from. Bite the bullet and get a service manual you will need it eventually anyway.
ASK QUESTIONS HERE. There is a Search feature you can use to find a thread on most any subject and if you can find it ASK. The only stupid questions are the one's U DON'T ASK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 international