Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Secret doors on 23D CCD

We've had our A/S for one year, and we only just discovered two "secret" cabinets. Maybe your dealer showed these to you, but no one showed them to us. Yesterday, my husband decided to see if there was anything behind the panels below our pull-out pantry and large closet. We knew the wheel wells were behind there, but there are other pull-off panels in the trailer. He gave a yank, and voila! There are two doors with hinges and closures, but no handles. We'd like to get matching hardware for these cabinets, so if you know the manufacturer Airstream uses on the CCD, please let us know. Storage is at a premium, so we're really happy with the discovery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doors1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	80494   Click image for larger version

Name:	doors2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	80495  

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yup, my 25er has it too. Also the rectangle under the sink and under the over also pull off and/or open.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I am not surprised that they did not show you the cabinets at TRX. They probably did'nt know they were there.
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Rather than spoil the clean lines of the doors with hardware, I would recommend you install touch latches. These are available at most hardware stores that stock cabinet hardware and come in different styles. Here are some examples:

Touch latch for cabinets, zinc finish - 556002G at Richelieu Hardware

Magnetic Touch Latch - Rockler Woodworking Tools
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I found ours after our fifth trip. Good for shoe or boot storage.

Your dog in the picture reminds me of star wars where Luke and Han hid in the secret compartments in the millennium falcon. Could come in handy in a no-dog zone.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
More secret doors and spaces are seen starting with post #226, on page 17 of "SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!".

A secret hole and trap door are seen starting with post #279 of the above thread.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The access to the water pump is similar on ours to that described by Silvergate. The panel has a heat register in it, is hard to get to open, but it will. Behind it is the nearly inaccessible water pump mounted so that you cannot get to the filter. The pump has been relocated and now the filter is accessible. On the walk through we were shown this door. Our subwoofer is located behind a drawer under the curbside dinette seat, not behind a door, but it sure isn't easy to get to and the controls are on the wrong side so to change them, I've had to unscrew the subwoofer to pull it out.

One of Silvergate's great pictures show romex going through a hole with no protection for the insulation and over time it may wear it off. I have been looking for the romex in our trailer (without much success) to see if there's any way to protect it when it goes through these hidden areas where it will rub against sharp edges and eventually fail.

I'm going to have to look for more movable panels.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The access to the water pump is similar on ours to that described by Silvergate...
One of Silvergate's great pictures show romex going through a hole with no protection for the insulation and over time it may wear it off. I have been looking for the romex in our trailer (without much success) to see if there's any way to protect it when it goes through these hidden areas where it will rub against sharp edges and eventually fail...
Gene
Thanks, Gene, for your note. Attached is a larger picture of the image you referred to above showing wires going through the hole. The picture can be enlarged by clicking on it a couple of times. It looks like there might be a black plastict grommet in the hole protecting the wires... but I'm not sure.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1102.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	80531  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
We also found them on our first AS, a 25' Safari. Ordered cabinet handles from AS. Also removed the kick panel from under the fridge and slid in plastic boxes. The panel was mounted with two cabinet catches. Storage everywhere if you look hard.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We have the same on our 25' Safari SS -- this is where the bypass valve is for winterizing (adding antifreeze - not the bypass for the hot water heater).

Not sure if I would store anything there -- but you could mount a small box for valuables, cash, gun storage etc.
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Silvergate, now I can see the grommet. I feel better now. I forgot to enlarge the photo first time I looked at it. When we were at the factory, I tried to see how (if) they were protecting the wires, but all the shells I could see into well, had already had the insulation installed.

The door under our fridge has a small compartment behind it. There's a white panel that is supposed to slide up and down to provide some access to the wires and tubing behind it, but is very difficult to move—it was cut too wide. I spent some time studying it one day trying to figure out how to make it removable with destroying something, came up with no easy answer and forgot about it.

When I remodel things in my house, I provide easy access to plumbing because plumbing never lasts forever. Wiring is impossible to make accessible. Too bad Airstream doesn't make access to these things easier. There are a bunch of buss bars under the bed at the place hardest to reach inside a little open compartment. If a wire comes loose, you would have to lay a piece of plywood (I always have an assortment of sheets of plywood in my truck, of course, doesn't everyone?*), possibly destroy the compartment or shrink your hands to baby size and use miniature tools (everyone has those too I'm sure*). The plumbing disappears behind cabinet backs which means to fix a leak, you have to take the whole cabinet out. Maybe taking the drawers out would provide access, need to check that too. Great thinking. I think it was in the early '70's when US cars and trucks started to look like a wall of metal when I raised the hood—nothing was easy to get to. Foreign cars were easy to fix by comparison. Now my Toyotas have a wall of metal under the hood, I have no idea what all the computer chips do, if it stopped I wouldn't know where to start, and, fortunately, nothing breaks.

Under the left side of the sofa in ours is a blank space. I think the furnace is under there and hope it's fully sealed from the inside. I'll have to check some day. Other places to check are the kitchen peninsula—seem to be some voids under it and behind the bathroom cabinet—the inside back has a white melamine panel that doesn't seem removable, but I have to look harder. There are plumbing lines back there that should have been routed inside the cabinet to lower the chances of freezing and to provide access.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Rather than spoil the clean lines of the doors with hardware, I would recommend you install touch latches. These are available at most hardware stores that stock cabinet hardware and come in different styles. Here are some examples:

Touch latch for cabinets, zinc finish - 556002G at Richelieu Hardware

Magnetic Touch Latch - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Thanks a lot! On my way to work, I was thinking about this as a solution. I think it is a good way to go. One of my doors opens more easily than the other. Adding a handle may still require a big tug.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Your dog in the picture reminds me of star wars where Luke and Han hid in the secret compartments in the millennium falcon. Could come in handy in a no-dog zone.[/QUOTE]

Good one! I just don't know how I'll squeeze the Retriever in there!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Thanks to all!

SilverGate, I wish we had found your thread last year! Last night I searched for a "secret" door/compartment thread, but couldn't find anything. Now, I'm going through all your pictures. Interesting stuff, and love the decor...now I want to add tatami mats to ours.

I went over over to my neighbours tonight to tell them about our secret doors and to look for them on their 2008 25 ft Safari SE...but they had none! All their wee compartments have handles. I got them all excited for nothing.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
You're welcome!

Thanks for starting this thread, which inspired me to resurrect one of the more fascinating photo explorations of our inner trailer spaces that I posted two years ago.

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread and found it helpful.

You're feedback has inspired me to revive my thread which has been dormant since January.

Bill
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Update

We went to Lee Valley Tools to get touch latches yesterday. They had a few to choose from, so we asked a sales clerk what would work best in our situation. Unfortunately, he said that touch latches don't really work with European hinges because these hinges want to stay closed. The spring on the touch latch won't be able to push the door open. Please let me know if any of you have been successful with touch latches and European hinges. Today, we removed the door catch and will see how well the doors stay closed when travelling. If they stay closed well enough on their own, we may leave them this way. If not, we may look into getting a magnetic catch, or get handles and put the original catch back on.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Do you have an IKEA? I think they have touch latches that work with the Blum hinges.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Thanks Cameron. I try to get to an IKEA a couple of times per year. The nearest one is Edmonton and I love any excuse to go to IKEA. Now, if the Airstream wants something from IKEA, for sure we'll go!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
IKEA touch latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Do you have an IKEA? I think they have touch latches that work with the Blum hinges.
Hi Cameron,

I finally got to an IKEA and bought "Besta" touch latches. They are very interesting because the pin/plunger (?) that pushes out to open the door is really long in order to push the door open past the point where the European hinge automatically closes. It's very different from a normal touch latch. I think this is the solution to the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Our trailer is now in storage, so this will be a spring project. We'll post pictures when it's completed.

Lisa

Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I popped off a panel on my 20' and look what I found:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closetbrwalkin.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	91054