Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Question about Ocean Breeze interior

Sorry, this is an obvious and stupid question.

On the International CCD and Ocean Breeze with the white storage cabinets, are the upper cabinets finished in a high gloss acrylic? Has anyone attempted to strip theirs yet?

Same question on the bath/shower walls on the bedroom side on a FB.

We're settling on the look of the Ocean Breeze but the white gets to be a bit overpowering for us at 25' FB (it's sharp on the SS and the other models, just a little too much with the extra cabinets on the FB). So, I'm thinking of painting the bedroom on ours when we finally do get it...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I think the heavier Classics are the only Airstreams that use actual wood in the cabinetry. Would the International be just like a Safari? Finished with a thin gauge formica type material would be my guess. It is particle board underneath.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
I think the heavier Classics are the only Airstreams that use actual wood in the cabinetry. Would the International be just like a Safari? Finished with a thin gauge formica type material would be my guess. It is particle board underneath.
Thanks Bob. I'm thinking the same way you are. I'm guessing that the rest of the cabinets in the CCD and Breeze are a veneer. Of course, there are good veneer jobs and bad veneers...

The one thing that's throwing me on the overheads is the exposed trim around the slide door openings. It looks like a highly polished, sealed plywood but I can't imagine that they would build the overheads out of anything other than an MDF board so I'm inclined to think that it's just trimmed out to look the way it does.

Still, I'm puzzled over the paint and finish. Since it's painted now, I'm guessing I'd be able to just take the shine off, rough it up, and repaint.

-Ben
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
My Ocean Breeze has a thin laminate over plywood with a glue on style edge treatment. In the bedroom it’s white and in the kitchen it’s a brushed aluminum look.
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Ben
We had the 25' CCD SS in Ocean Breeze. Beautiful looking interior. The finish on all of the "wood" surfaces are melamine (formica looking). The color with the Ocean Breeze decor is a greyish white. The panel doors have the bamboo in the acrylic. If you like the Ocean Breeze and are paying for it why change it?
They ARE NOT painted.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi Ben
We had the 25' CCD SS in Ocean Breeze. Beautiful looking interior. The finish on all of the "wood" surfaces are melamine (formica looking). The color with the Ocean Breeze decor is a greyish white. The panel doors have the bamboo in the acrylic. If you like the Ocean Breeze and are paying for it why change it?
They ARE NOT painted.
Ahh, that makes sense that they're melamine. Thanks!

I don't want to paint the whole thing, just some in the bedroom to break up the white. I like the white on the SS you bought but like the layout of the FB a little more for longer stays. With the FB, the white seems to be just a little too much since it's everywhere. Besides, what's an Airstream if you aren't busy thinking of ways to customize it
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I love the Ocean Breeze...great choice I think!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We are soon to pick up our Ocean Breeze. One of our concerns with the white cabinets is protecting the lower white cabinets from scuff marks (like shoes). Is anyone familiar with any kind of clear sheets of plastic or whatever that could be layed over the lower cabinets to protect them, but do not laminate so they can be removed/replaced? Thanks!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Hi~

We have an Ocean Breeze 25' FB and we love it. The laminate is very durable and cleans up easily. The Magic Eraser works great for larger scuff marks, windex on plain dirt. We also put towels on the upholstery where we eat-easier to wash a towel than a cushion. (We did get some grease on there a couple of times and it came right off with dish soap/water.)

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
We pick up our 25 FB OB in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. We'll customize after using it for a while. I was thinking more in the line of maybe refinishing the dinette cushions to a darker tropical theme? I can't help but think of pillow ticking with the current pillows. How about going darker on the bedroom bedding to help balance the white? Or, check the Container Store..maybe you could find some abstract office bulletin board thing to put on the cabinets? One thing I was wondering about is the use of a strippable wallpaper to accent or cover up? Ever think of that? That might be hard?
With paint, I still haven't found the perfect color for our bedroom at home, yet alone try to find the perfect one for the AS.

Submit pictures if you do..

Cheers,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman
With paint, I still haven't found the perfect color for our bedroom at home, yet alone try to find the perfect one for the AS.

Submit pictures if you do..

Cheers,

Doug
Hey Doug,

I've painted some walls in the bedroom 13 times . I told Dawn that I was going to have to remeasure for square footage if we couldn't settle on something quick. If it's in your area, check out Devine Color (Devine Color - Timeless Color). They have great paint and really do a good job of limiting their pallets.

Congrats on the new purchase! We're really, really torn on what to get ourselves....
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

Pleasanton , California
We haven't found the white lower cabs a problem to keep clean, and love the light, bright feel of the Ocean Breeze interior. Magic Eraser works like a charm. When we changed out the bedding as someone else suggested, the "whiteness" softened a lot. One thing I'm really happy that we did immediately, is remove all the cushions and apply a couple of cans of scotchguard. Its made the light blue cushions, a lot more durable. We couldn't be happier with our 25' FB.

Linda
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
I've got to add our latest efforts. We've been looking for three months - we knew we wanted a 23' CCD in the Paprika color. We've looked at Safari's all over Ohio and the internet but they weren't an International. In the three months of looking, we found two 23' Internationals - neither with the layout we wanted or in the color we were interested in. We found exactly what we wanted in Columbus, OH - an hour away from us. We decided to wait until spring since we wouldn't be able to use it during the winter. Then it occured to me that it could be gone by then so last week end was our buying trip into Columbus to make it ours. We wanted the neighboring 23' and the salesman agreed to change the lighter cushions for the darker ones and we would get what we wanted but in a 23' with awnings all around. Perfect!! After hauling the cushions back and forth to make sure the look and feel was what we wanted, we headed for the office to work the best deal. "We should check out the 25' SS Ocean Breeze once more," said my wife. We stopped by it and agreed that it was a beautiful AS. But, we didn't want to go that large - we would be extremely happy with the 23'. But we decided to sleep on the decision - next morning we called the salesman and told him to write up the 25' Ocean Breeze. And we've been absolutely giddy about it ever since. We nearly drove up to see it again yesterday, Sunday, just to see it again. How will we ever get through the winter???

We've done it!! We are proud of our new baby and can't wait to get her on the road. We'll see you all travelling the roads of America very soon.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Congrats Pilgrim,

I was thinking about you guys when looking at the classifieds lateley. There are two 22 foot Internationals listed. I was going to post to you but I came across your posting here.

We agree with you about not wanting to wait. We went ahead and bought recently as well. At least we won't have to fret and waste part of next year searching for a deal on a 2008 and can hit the road the first nice weekend in March or April!

We were in and out of your OB many times as well as the others on the lot there. It was a nice trailer but we figured the FB would work better for us, so unfortunately we had to travel to find the one we wanted. It all worked out, but it would have been nice to buy locally. We laugh, because we had to drive over 8 hours south to buy something that's made 90 miles from here. We camped a couple of nights coming home and now have all winter to plan our trips and get everything purchased.

Cheers,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Thumbs up International OB Interior

We have a 2008, 28ft International Ocean Breeze.

Except for the door panels (that are a hollow core product, the other interior panels are solid 3/4in. plywood with a Melamine skin. In other words they are indeed solid wood, not OSB, MDF, or something else. I still don't know if that great looking edge is a laminate or the plywood?

The doors under the sink are likewise solid 3/4in plywood. You can (in fact I did) drill into them to hang whatever on the inside of the doors. Use a 1/2in screw so as not to penetrate through to the other side.

We love the bright white color. Coupled with the great lighting, wndows, and sklights the OB is cheerful, and bright.

We love the funky cutrains, "cork" floor, and neat "bamboo" lamp shades.

The only thing that bothered us was the different color of door panels below the sink. Sitting in the dealer's office I said they were grey, and my wife said they were tan. I lost. We almost insisted that the guys at JC put in the wrong color panels, until we studied the brochure, and sure enough they were tan. We have grown used to the color, and now mostly like it.

We have tried out different throw pillows for the bed, and settee, but so far nothing has looked right.

Any ideas?
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Ponderay , Idaho
OB Interior

We have tried out different throw pillows for the bed, and settee, but so far nothing has looked right.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

We have the OB also. I replaced white bedspread with Aquamarine chenille and we use the Pillow shams on the couch, they look great. The other accent color I used is flamingo pink-couldn't go wrong with that!

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We have the 19' Ocean Breeze. I thought I would be overwhelmed with White and Shiny when we bought it. Ours is a 19', not 25' and that means not as much White and Shiny. But I have found it refreshing and, well, happy. In the evening or overcast days, the brightness is lightens the mood. So far, we have had no problems with cleaning the lower cabinets (including the remains of a jar of salsa that splattered out of the fridge landing everywhere before we leveled).

Initially, I was stumped about decorating. The interior is so different than our house and other colors that I like and use. I found some large denim pillows that we can use on the bed or the dinette. I have several so when the dinette table is down, we have something for our backs. Looks pretty cool too. We found some blue and white discontinued (read sale, sale, sale) R. Lauren bedding that coordinates well with the curtains and the denim pillows. I also scored some batik fabric that has the cool OB blue with tangerine and pink that will become a duvet cover for a down comforter for that winter or early spring camping we intend to do. I like the fact that with a change of bedspread and pillows, you can get a new look.

I just need that perfect rug(s). Still looking.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
One of the things we're going to do is alter the blue and white interior so that our Ocean Breeze doesn't look exactly like all the others. We've had some discussions about "what to do" but today we opened a box of sample from our decorator friend and I think she's on the right track. It's going to take some time to make the changes, but we'll reupholster the sofa and dinette seats, change all the curtains, the room divider curtain and the bedspread. Once done, we'll TRY to post some photos. What we really need to do is have an Ocean Breeze Rally and see what all others have done to individualize their babies. Ain't is fun???? Gotta find some way to make it through the winter. We did order the Tropic Room so that's another photo some will want to see when we get it put together come spring.

Yakman, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread - sorry I hadn't seen your posting until just now. I've seen some of the local 22' and 23' but they weren't what we wanted - and now we've go exactly what we want!! Anxious to hear more about yours? See you all.......'streamin down the road.

Remember: It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool,
Than to open it and remove all doubt.
Prodigy brakes
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #19

2008 23' International CCD
marquette , Michigan
I was surffing & found your question re the Ocean brerze I am interested in one. If you bought one please give me a call. Mike Coyne 906 226 6669 Marquette
mike coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Painting?

Except for the hollow core doors the "wood" in the OB is indeed real wood, not OSB or MDF. The cabinets are made of plywood with a laminate overlay. The edge treatment is likewise a laminate that mimics a natural finished plywood.

Plywood is much lighter than OSB or MDF and generally considered a surperior product. It's lightness is most likely the reason it was used.

Ours is a 28', 2008, Ocean Breeze, rear bedroom, and except for a few panels with a sort of tan/grey/off white/who knows what color, the cabinets are very white, very bright white.

The brightness, because of the white cabinet color, polished aluminum walls, and machined like finish on a few panels is one of the many reasons we picked the Ocean Breeze.

I understand the thinkingg regards to painting, but maybe a few colored throws, pillows, or a colored spread would have the same result.

Also, your choice of color will never satisy a potential buyer, and selling will at sometime be a reality.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 international