Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
2024 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
Is there a way to stop the door from swinging into an open window?

Newbie here. I've got a 2008 28' International and my one gripe/fear is that the window over the dinette closest to the door is not very functional.

If I open the window I'm afraid that the door will swing into the open glass and break it.

This seems like a strangely large oversight from a company that seems to consider every detail.

Is there a way to stop the door from swinging 180º when the window is open? Am I missing something?

Here's a pic of my rig to illustrate.
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't think that you are missing anything. If that window closest to the rear hinged door were in any of the open positions, and the door were to get caught by the wind when opened, it would have a good chance of breaking the window.

If I had a model configured that way, I don't think that I would ever open that window as a strong wind catching the door is a very common occurrence.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Your 28 puts a lot of features in a mid-size Airstream, they give you the option of using this particular window for ventilation rather they making it fixed. The door also blocks the window view when opened. There are other models with similar design issues, our open door blocks the kitchen window.

I look at it as the most possible features in a trailer this size, would rather have the window than a blank wall. You could possibly fabricate some kind of door strut to to put in place when you want the window open, I would just leave that window closed and avoid the risk.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Is there a way to stop the door from swinging into an open window?

Our 23' international has the same arrangement. The door would easily take out the forward dinette window. We just never open it. Simpler. I figure it's for enjoying the view...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Airstream was smart about that on my 2006 23 Safari. The galley window does not open. There are times that it would be nice if it did.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Would something similar to this help?

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-300.htm

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradknapp View Post
Newbie here. I've got a 2008 28' International and my one gripe/fear is that the window over the dinette closest to the door is not very functional.

If I open the window I'm afraid that the door will swing into the open glass and break it.

This seems like a strangely large oversight from a company that seems to consider every detail.

Is there a way to stop the door from swinging 180º when the window is open? Am I missing something?

In 2012 we decided to get an Airstream. It was our first venture into camping trailers. We settled on a 2012 International Signature 28'. It had the same configuration as yours. Within less than a year we traded for a 30' International for the same reason. Not only can't open the window while you sitting at the dinette which is most of the time, you can't prop the door open and deploy the awning at the same time.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I solved the problem by removing the opening/retaining arms, reversing them right to left - left to right and re-installing them so they hang between the screen and the window pane without obstructing anything. Now the window cannot be mistakenly opened by anyone.
WHERRWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
On the Safari 30BH that I owned previously I had the same door/window setup. I would open the window a couple of inches, then place a swim noodle (cut slit to center of noodle long way) over the bottom of the glass and then lower the glass until it rested on the body, inside the noodle. This allowed me to safely open the door, resting it on the noodle when the windows was slightly open.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
In 2012 we decided to get an Airstream. It was our first venture into camping trailers. We settled on a 2012 International Signature 28'. It had the same configuration as yours. Within less than a year we traded for a 30' International for the same reason. Not only can't open the window while you sitting at the dinette which is most of the time, you can't prop the door open and deploy the awning at the same time.
If you can't open the door with the awning out then you probably don't have the awning extended fully.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had a 2012 28' Intl CCD with the same window configuration. Before I left the dealer with it, I had a strong recommendation to NEVER open that window. I never did. There may well be a work around that would limit the door opening so it wouldn't smash the window, but I don't know if I would have trusted it.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradknapp View Post

We have a 2009 28' International Ocean Breeze and our friends have a 2008 28' International CCD and we all decided just to treat that window as fixed. We don't even think about it anymore. And it's very nice to have the view lost by an open door restored by that "fixed" window when the door is closed.

By the way, no trouble operating the outer or screen doors with main awning deployed if it is raised properly on the door side (front side on our 28's.) and many have advised here having one side raised higher than the other in the rain, for example--we like this configuration to help deal with light winds, too.

Have fun!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One can add the ZipDee provided wheel for the door that is in every awning kit that Airstream never installs for their customers. The kit comes complete with screws. Probably take five minutes or less to install.........

Cut those cost numbers

We retrofitted the door awning wheel on the 23D and will also add one to the 31' Classic. Just in case. At least the awning won't get cut by the door edge.

We always put the awning out three clicks by the door and two clicks at the other end for drainage.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
We have a 28 and have solved with the problem with a little do-it-yourself fix. We also explored putting a brace that would hold the open door in a fixed position, but have not gotten around to hiring someone to do that. In the meantime, here is what we do. We put our 5 ladder (which is just lower than the window) next to the trailer. Open the foor onto the paint platform of the ladder (which is plastic and we put a towel on it). Then we bungee the door to the ladder and put something heavy on the paint platform to make it firmer. It has worked great.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Brad,
I don't have the pictures anymore, but there was a similar thread back in June 2016 on "limiting front door swing" that I posted to, #7. If this would help your situation, search old threads.
Thomas
Thomas31 is offline   Reply With Quote