Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
Has anyone attached an outside storage box?

Hi,

Not sure where to best post this, but:

We are wondering if it is possible to attach some sort of storage box/cage to either the back bumper or to an installed back hitch receiver on the new airstreams? We wouldn't use it for anything really heavy - roll-up chairs, outside rug etc.

Have any of you done this? If so, how did it work. We really would love to increase the outside storage space.

Thanks
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I believe that the general consensus is that it'll put too much strain on the frame and cause you structural problems down the road.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This question is one of the most persistent in terms of regularly returning as a forum topic. Gen Disarray just took his rear bumper box off. Maybe it's still available with a negative warranty (he'll pay you if it doesn't cause frame & rear shell-frame junction problems).

Freshman year in college I remember hazing where we'd have to hold a book on an outstretched arm. This gets tough based on fairly simple physics. They never made us bounce up and down but you can imagine how much more stressful that would be. That is how adding weight at the rear of a frame that wasn't designed for it can multiply the structural stresses as you bounce down the road. Sixty or seventy pounds of box, grill & lawn chairs will seem like a momentary multiple hundred pound load when you hit the inevitable worn seam on a freeway.

Even without 'rear end separation' (failure of the frame behind the wheels), the rear shell-frame junction is one of the weak points to guard against breakdown. Water can then get in and rot floors, etc.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
As Canoestream mentioned, the previous owners of my 68 Trade Wind put a handy box on the rear of my unit. I removed it this spring and had the damage repaired. It wasn't cheap. I can not speak to differences in construction between 1968 and 2009, but I would not put one on an airstream having seen the damage that results.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
Thanks - what about a bike rack?

I'm convinced - we won't put any storage bin or hitch on the back. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

An Airstream dealer did tell us that there was a bike rack that was approved. Is that OK? Anyone use that?
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
hold the bikes with an outstretched arm ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 international