Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Figuring out how big is big enough

Stream of conscious thought...(ie, incoherent rambling)

So, the one thing that's been throwing us so far is deciding what size to get. We're in agreement on the International Ocean Breeze, we just can't quite make up our mind on size. We've been through them all, spent tons of time in them, and still can't figure it out...

To baseline it, I think we could comfortably live in the 19' for a week. At the other end, the 25 FB is nice for the bed size and would also be great if we travelled with guests often. I know it'll sound wacky to some, but I think we'd be cool in a 25 for any amount of time.

We're both worried that we'll only end up going out for weeks / long weekends and, if that's the case, the 19' would be great. However, if we're going out for a month or two, I think the 23' or 25' would be ideal.

Dawn did threaten to go get the 16' DWR model instead and just end the discussion. In that case, I'd better get the crew cab for sure; I'm not sure if we'd both fit!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you think the 25 will be fine, get the 27FB. Very few complain about having too much trailer and less about too much truck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm probably not a good model, but I currently full-time in my '06 19CCD. It's fine for me......but just me. If I were 2, I would definitely want a larger tube, and the 25 is a nice size compromise. Not too big.......not too small......JUST RIGHT!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
This is a personal desision.

An easy way is to rent or borrow first .

The other is to buy one then two then........

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Here's why we traded in a 19 for a 25 FB.

1, Bed. The bed in the 19 was like sleeping in a box. Not good sleeping.

2, Bath. The 19 was cramped and not enough room. Add to that the bath is next to the bed and the door is a pain.

With the 25 we have all the room needed to sleep and the bath is wonderfull.

Also with the 25 you have two rooms so that during your week you can have some space to keep from bumping into each other.

More counter space for food prep in the 25.

More storage space.

More space period.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my vote is for the 25' trailer except for the "Six Sleeper" front queen, rear queen, front twins, or rear twins; [at your age, forget the twins] Any model. [basic, CCD, FB, RB, Classic Etc. The 25'er is the largest of the small Airstreams and the smallest of the large Airstreams, perfect. Just make sure you have a proper tow vehicle to handle what ever trailer you decide on.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Poor sleep can kill a weekend trip....

Opinion:
Pick a floor plan that defines each space; living, bedroom, kitchen, etc.
Especially the bedroom or sleepiing area.

One of the important aspects of our Airstream enjoyment is a defined bedroom.
A permanent bed (or twins) provides an infinite amount of flexibility for a couple, especially if your sleep patterns differ slightly. (We converted the 34footer with twins to a full double. I don't know yet how long the Argosy twin arrangement is going to work)
Anyway, I am an early riser so Blanche can continue to sleep while I get up, make coffee and begin the day.
She likes to nap. I can’t sleep while the sun is up.
If it is raining and we have to stay inside, she can nap while I use the living area.
Want to curl up with a book and pillows? Go ahead, I have a place to sit down with the laptop.
When you visit the dealership spend more than a few minutes in a unit you might like. Stay until the run you off. You might fall in love with the floor plan or realize that the next one over offers something more appealing.

Have fun, enjoy each other , enjoy what you take home.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We've spent about three years with the 24ft Argosy. It is the center double bed model. While we both love this little trailer, we have just purchased a 31ft, rear bedroom 76, Sovereign. Kind of gets old crawling over someone in the middle of the night, and we have ended up one sleeping in the front and one sleeping in the mid bed. I am so looking forward to having more room and a really separate bedroom. We are planning to take out the rear twins and put in the biggest bed we can stuff in there. This way we can actually have a couch to sit on to watch TV and eat meals without having to put up a bed every day. As it is we just leave both beds pulled out all the time which kind of makes the Argosy look like a dorm room. I can't imagine ever getting rid of the Argosy, but for the lake property this 31ft should be a lot more fun. Pulling a 31ft is not my idea of fun. If I were buying new I would get the 27ft and plan on keeping it to pass on to my kids when I'm too old to use it. If you have the chance, don't just look, pull them around the lot and see how big a trailer you are comfortable pulling. Then get the biggest you think you can handle.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Buy the 25'. If you think you'll be happy with the 19', you'll find that you'll be even happier with the 25'. Like Lew said 25' is a good compromise between to small and someting that's to long that your not comfortable towing it.Even for long weekends the little extra space makes a BIG difference. I own a 31' ( soon to be sold) and a new 25'. Love the 25'.I also bought it with the twins. More storage. You can sleep and not distube your partner if you have to get up during the night and we always have the fold out couch in the front.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Everyone has heard me say this before...

A trailer is too big on the highway and too small at the campground.
I would base the size decision on how you will be using the trailer.
How many people will you travel with, how far will you be traveling , how
many days will your trips last, and how long will you be in one spot.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Here is another opinion that says "get the bigger one".
We've got a 28' and I originally wanted the 22.
The deciding factor was the bed - below 28' or 27', the bed is in a corner and one needs to crawl over one's partner to get in and out. Also, the bigger bed is a whole lot less cramped.
Tow vehicle is the next consideration - it HAS to be enough truck.
We went to the factory to see ours on the production line and I remember thinking to myself that we bought too much trailer - it was HUGE. Then we got it to a campground for our maiden trip - we were the smallest TT there.
28 *27) feet really isn't that big at all.
Final consideration - rainy days - you'll need room to stretch out all day - I don't think 19' will give that to you.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Thanks! You all have some excellent points to consider. It seems the biggest thing to consider is how long we'll use it for. In my mind, we're going out for months on end and having a blast. In reality, I'm worried that we're going to get a trailer that we end up only taking out on weekends and can't get into some of the older national and state parks.

On the other hand, my parents are willing to go out with us for some time and we do have friends lined up for Burning Man (I'm too chicken to go by myself, even if we were able to meet up with a bunch of other 'Streamers, but I think it'd be a blast with friends).

Thanks again for the help, all. I think this is helping to clarify a lot of things and giving us some considerations that we wouldn't have thought of until too late. I do like Bob's idea, buy one and then another and then another... having the whole set would make it easy!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
BTW, the Ocean Breeze interior is beautiful!
We wish it was available when we bought ours!
Post pictures when you get what you decide on.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree to base the decision on how you'll use it- people have pointed out the considerations. I'd add to consider WHERE you'll use it. Smaller trailers can work better in state and naional campgrounds without hook ups - if that's where you'll spend your time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
As others have pointed out, the 25FB Safari is a sweet spot in the AS lineup. One point that hasn't mentioned in this thread is that the FB configuration puts the dinette and lounging area and kitchen in the rear, exactly where you want it when you back into a campsite.

For us, the twin bed configuration makes the 25FB seem more roomy. The beds are easy to make up; the storage spaces below are useful; the center table and drawers are convenient; the overhead cabinets are easy to get to and there are more cabinets than in the queen-bed configuration.

Did anyone mention the usefulness of the split bath with large shower?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette
To baseline it, I think we could comfortably live in the 19' for a week. At the other end, the 25 FB is nice for the bed size and would also be great if we travelled with guests often....Dawn did threaten to go get the 16' DWR model instead and just end the discussion.
You should lie down in the beds of each model and see which one fits. For many, the corner bed of the 19' and 23' Airstreams doesn't really work - the bed in the 16' is better and the 25' much better. If you do seriously consider a 16' Airstream I'd advise against the DWR - it has a few dysfunctional design features (e.g. the wide curtain rails and huge hooks in the hallway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette
In reality, I'm worried that we're going to get a trailer that we end up only taking out on weekends and can't get into some of the older national and state parks.
You should be able to get the 25' into pretty much any site (though we have camped in one 'dunefront' site where at 16' we were flat and at 25' we would have had a 4' slope)
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I agree to base the decision on how you'll use it- people have pointed out the considerations. I'd add to consider WHERE you'll use it. Smaller trailers can work better in state and naional campgrounds without hook ups - if that's where you'll spend your time.
I agree, I'd drive through places you are expecting to camp and see what size trailers are being used.

My 25 has been somewhat limiting in the campgrounds of the eastern Sierras. Some of these forest service sites have very narrow access with lots of nice rocks and branches to bite your wide-body trailer. I like the big tanks and how long it will go without taking on water, but I have to be picky about the campsite size and the general access of the campground.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Hi…I guess that I’m just a little biased about the 27FB Ocean Breeze, I just bought mine in August. My wife has been living in it for about 3 weeks and loves it! My advice is, if your going to spend more then a week or so on the road, get the bigger unit.
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Bigger is better. We started out with a Safari 25FB and loved it. It began to shrink. Wife decided the queen bed mounted perpendicular to the long axis was a bit claustrophobic for her. Also wanted more light (read windows). the toilet area was too small with the door. We opted to trade up to a 30'Classic. Bed problem solved. More windows, and a bath that is one room now, instead of an aircraft lav and a shower across the hall. Plenty of room, towable with our TV and will fit in every campground we have found - including many State parks and Corps of Engineer parks. Just my 2 cents.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Less can be more

I had just about managed to convince myself that maybe a 28-30ft unit would be nice, mainly because of the extra living space up forward. Then in July I got my trailer out in the rockies (which is what I bought it for) and quickly discovered that 24Ft was all the trailer a guy wants when trying to get into forest service and national park campsites (which, agian, is what I bought it for). To be sure, there were longer sites in these campgrounds, but these were often taken when I had arrived. Even at 24Ft there were several sites where I was shoehorned and in every campground there were sites that I simply wouldnt fit.

On the other hand, if you dont plan on staying in the sort of places I like, by all means, get a big rig. Space is nice.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 international