Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #1

2008 27' International CCD FB
vacaville , California
Red face brand new 2008 International with "glitches"

Hello Airstream owners,
I just purchased a brand new 2008 International 25ft FB in AR and brought it to CA and have been in it for one week. I love the trailer, but it has several little problems...the front door will not close without a slam and screen door appears out of alignment...dining room window stuck, cannot open...awning extremely difficult to raise (took 3 people)...oven flame so large had to shut down...when shower is taken, a small amount of water at junction of shower and floor (coming from underneath)...rock guard window support arm not attached. Please let me know if these gliches are "normal" or did I get a lemon????? I called a dealer here in CA and they can't see me for 2 weeks. I will take the trailer in, and hope everything gets fixed. I was hoping for a trailer without problems, especially a new Airstream. I have waited for many years to finally get this trailer of my dreams and I feel somewhat disappointed with all of these little issues. Would appreciate hearing from experienced owners. Thanks
silversharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi sharon and welcome to the forums....

"hoping for a trailer without problems"

oh my don't we all.

did you spend a night or 2 at the dealer or a nearby campground?
did you open, use or otherwise play with every feature BEFORE leaving?

1. stuck windows is common as the glass sticks to the rubber seals. break the seal with a credit card or apply a little silicone spray and weight. do ALL the windows while you are at it.

2. the shower door style is prone to leaks. usually a bead of caulking will do the trick.
gotta explore where the actual leak is happening from OUTSIDE the shower.

3. rock guard center or curved side section? the owners manual will describe securing these sections.

4. usually the new awnings have very dry sections on the struts/arms. again coating the inner arm with silicone spray usually solves this. t
o avoid frustration using the awning, follow the zipdee instuctions for opening it....to the tee!

5. i have yet to see a prefectly straight screen door. this can be adjusted but it's not pretty. let the local dealer do it in a few weeks.

6. the main door is a whole 'nother issue. very few look nicely alligned or spaced when new.
use it a while, lube the latch/clasp inside the door edge and have the service dept look at it.

your list is pretty short, but be patient there WILL be MANY MORE issues. it's the nature of the beast.
loose trim, leaks, tweaks, mismatched bits, rusty screws, piles of aluminum shavings, screws and rivets can be expected. most issues are easy to fix.

a mild case of buyers remorse or 'it ain't perfect' syndrome is common. go camping, explore the trailer, make your list of fix issues and watch it grow....

trailers that are used get better over the first year, because you will be fixing things!

cheers
2air'

it is much easier to help with issues when we can visualize them...

so post some photos of your new unit and as things need fixin'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, welcome to the forum. You seem to have some minor concerns, although we would rather not have any, we all have had some. Enjoy your new trailer, read owner's manuals first to make sure you are operateing everything correctly, and make a list for your nearest Airstream dealer to correct. The window may be just sticking to the weather strip and the door being hard to close can be just because it is new, or as some of us found out, don't try to level your trailer with the "stabilizer jacks". A few little concerns doesn't make it a lemon, but if you chose to think that way you will never be happy. Hope to see you on the road or in a camp ground.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congrats on your new baby.

We have a 2005 25'FB, and love it. We had some of the same problems with Lucy. Everything was eventually corrected. It doesn't sound like you have ant major problems. Our door has to be almost slammed to close completely. I've decided that it's designed like that to be water-tight. Our screen door is not lined up perfectly either. The windows will free up with use. We had a little trouble with our awning at first. It turned out to be operator error. We didn't have any problem with our oven. We had some shower leak and thought it was coming from the floor. it turned out that it was coming from the bottom of the shower door and running down the panel crack to appear to be coming out at the floor. It turned out it was the plastic moulding at the shower door had been installed crooked. I don't think that you got a lemon. You just have a few minor problems to be worked out. Some of these problems you can work out yourself and do a much better job than the dealer.

We have spent 130+ nights in Lucy in the last year and still love the floor plan - it works. Take a look at a string called "'05 Safari - 1 year assessment". it will give you further insight into a 25FB.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome to the Forums.

Instead of a Dealer why not go to a Certified Airstream repair center? They make their money on repairs and warranty work not sales. I think you'll like the outcome better.

C&G in Bellflower is tops and many here have used them with great results.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Sharon, as lovely as an Airstream is, there are always going to be manufacturing glitches. It is a trailer, after all, and not a Steinway. You'll enjoy it much more if you list your concerns as they arise, and take them to the dealer while you're under warranty. If they need to be addressed right away, just keep posting on the Forums. The help and advice you'll get here is invaluable.
We also have a 25' FB, and I went from being shocked by an absent rivet and gaps in the cabinets to being complacent about a toilet leak and those pesky sticky windows. And it's very reassuring to find out from the more experienced owners that what you have is a diamond in the rough--but not a lemon! Just don't be alarmed as more issues arise with use, because they will.
You've chosen a beautiful model. Take care, and enjoy!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #7

2008 27' International CCD FB
vacaville , California
Wow...such fast replies..thanks so much. I am so glad to hear that my little list is not an indication of poor manufacturing, but rather normal things that come with the territory. I have felt an extra dose of concern since I picked up the trailer...no,did not spend a couple of days at dealer since I was on a time crunch to get to CA for summer job...and am fulltiming in it. Initial bugs or not...this is the coolest trailer on the planet and I am looking forward to many miles and years on the road with my little silver home. Thank goodness for this forum...I am new to being a fulltimer (just me and my 2 Chihuahuas) and it is great to know there are helpful, kind Airstreamers just a click away.

Thanks...Safe Journeys to All.
Sharon
silversharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi Silversharon )

Welcome aboard !

Just to let you know, we've all at one time had a few "corrections" when we purchased our Airstreams new. Don't forget that you have a 2 year warranty. Use it!
You've probably read about "shakedown" cruises. This is normal with most all RV's. You've got to remember that your trailer is tweaking and adjusting with the heat and cold. The roads in general. And, when you try to level the TT don't overdue it. It's aluminum and it tweaks. I had the problem with the door when I adjusted the side where the door is. After I lowered it a little the door closed when no sticking.
As for the slamming the door, I think most of us have that problem. It's metal. Not pressed wood or paper like SOB's.

If you're in the Long Beach/Lakewood SoCal area we have an outstanding AS repair shop "C&G Trailer Service" is an authorized Service Center.

Airstream Trailer and Motorhome Service Center - Bellflower, CA - Home

By the way, if you get a chance check out the California Streamers Summer Rally down here in Gorman.

Take Care and welcome.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
You may already know this, but if not...

If your front (electric) hitch jack is raised too high, this will affect the fit of the front door. We once had the problem of the door not easily closing. We simply lowered the front jack a bit, and the door worked perfectly.
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sharon:
Had a shower leak also, when shower turned off at handle water would leak at manifold (temp control). access thru door below sink. Cold water line was too short causing leak at elbow. Flexable supply line for home toilet was the quickest fix.....

Remember>>> as Mom used to say If it has tires or testicles....your going to have trouble with it!!!!! BOB
Old 06-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Angry Shameful

Hi Sharon -

I think its shameful for your new Airstream to have so many issues. Your problems and the problems of responders show a lack of quality control at the factory and the dealer. What's as disturbing to me is several of the responders seem to indicate that these issues are to be expected.

I recommend you keep after the dealer where you purchased the trailer and demand they make the arrangements for repairs at a local dealer. I would do the same with Airstream directly. Write letters documenting your disappointment.

Having said that, I'm an Airstream fan and this lack of quality control is partly the consumers fault. If we, the consumer, don't keep the pressure on and demand higher standards this probally won't improve.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Congrats..

silversharon,
Congrats on ur new 2k8.
You have one of the "hottest" units out there.
I agree with the other comments about quality control issues. You do need to make the factory aware of them and, keep after them. But, at the same time, I got to tell you as an owner You will want to take damage control over those issues that can cause damage to your unit. Like water on the floor, etc. The unit’s door? It could be a simple adjustment. Since you're in CAL., look up InLandRV. Andy is a forum member and, has had many years of experiences with new and old Airstream products.
Slamming your door, that isn't really gonna hurt it. These doors are built to take it. If that makes you feel any better to know .I’d say, as long as it's not leaking. leave it alone.
As far as the screen door .Well, that's another whole story. My screen door is 23 yrs old and, it's never been just perfect. I finally got tired of the slight opening around the edge around the door and, devised a solution that works for me..I took one wooden cloth pin apart and, placed them together in such a way that they slide under the outside catch. Thus drawing the screen door tightly against the door frame .Now, I have no more insects or slight opening..
You said and I quote.."awning extremely difficult to raise (took 3 people).."
Either I don't understand what you're saying or…
Usually, this the other way around~ It takes at least two to hold it back once you begin the process of retraction.. You might have a bad internal spring latch setup. Without going into great details. It's suffice to say that each awning is considered "charged" counterclockwise and, because of that, has more than enough kinetic force to retract once in motion.
The folks at Zip Dee are the best` I’d recommend you call them with any issues that concerns your awning..
Ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
2008 AS "Warranty Issues" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversharon
Hello Airstream owners,
I just purchased a brand new 2008 International 25ft FB in AR and brought it to CA and have been in it for one week. I love the trailer, but it has several little problems...the front door will not close without a slam and screen door appears out of alignment...dining room window stuck, cannot open...awning extremely difficult to raise (took 3 people)...oven flame so large had to shut down...when shower is taken, a small amount of water at junction of shower and floor (coming from underneath)...rock guard window support arm not attached. Please let me know if these gliches are "normal" or did I get a lemon????? I called a dealer here in CA and they can't see me for 2 weeks. I will take the trailer in, and hope everything gets fixed. I was hoping for a trailer without problems, especially a new Airstream. I have waited for many years to finally get this trailer of my dreams and I feel somewhat disappointed with all of these little issues. Would appreciate hearing from experienced owners. Thanks
Well, we are diving in (just sold one of our AS's to make room) and ordering a new AS (2008 International Sig Series) today... has anyone else run into problems such as silversharon's? We love the floorplan as well as the new interiors but reading some of the "warranty" issues is a bit scary. Any thoughts? I read in this thread about the idea of camping overnight at the dealer's, sounds like a great idea to me. Any other sound advice?
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Sharon, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Airstream. Don't fret about a few 'minor' glitches. We bought a new '06 25'FB traded a year later for a new 30'Classic Ltd. Both had/have glitches. Still working on the 07 model and finding minor probs. Range from no video from the DVD player (screw thru a wire), LPG detector not hooked up to a pwr source, shower leak at floor (like yours)...I'm working on that myself. Silicon caulk inside. Still have a growing list before I take it back to the dealer.
You still own the best RV trailer in the world. Enjoy it.
Again, Welcome!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ditto to 2air's comments on window gaskets sticking. This will always happen and needs to have a water based silicone applied 1-2x/year. I always thought Aerospace 303 Protectant was silicone but can't prove it -- would probably try it anyway. [on edit: It's a little tricky getting to it but I also find that the gasket on my Fantastic Fan will stick and need the same treatment periodically. This is easy owner maintenance and not a dealer or warranty issue.]

Door latches as installed don't have much lubricant. Avoid oils because they attract dust and dirt. Spray some LPS-1 silicone thru the little red tube into several places in the mechanism -- worked very well for me! See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ing-27193.html. Also note in this thread that Zip-Dee recommends lubing the awning with LPS-1. Good one, 2air!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Hi SilverSharon,

We just took our 07 25 FB for its maiden voyage and discovered several things that needed fixing. Some of which I fixed, others that the dealer will have to. I sprayed silicon lubricant in the awning poles to get them out for the first time. After that they worked fine. My wife discovered a leak in the toilet and my mom fixed it by tightening the supply. So far we have not run into anything that cannot be fixed.

We traded in a Montana fifth wheel to get our AS. The dealer fix list was 3 times as long as the one for the AS. We could not be happier with our decision to get an AS!
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Ditto to 2air's comments on window gaskets sticking. This will always happen and needs to have a water based silicone applied 1-2x/year.
One of the items on my walkthough was a damaged window gasket. The window apparently was stuck so well to the gasket that when it was pulled open it took chunks of the gasket with it.

I like the idea of separating with a credit card and periodic lubrication!
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Sharon,

As others have said, making sure your trailer is level and having just the right amount of pressure on your stabilizers are the keys to being able to shut your door without too much force. The stabilizers are not meant to raise the trailer, just to reduce the motion inside when you walk around. Too much pressure on any of them will torque the frame, and the door will be hard to shut and lock.

The suggestion to try a repair facility may be your best bet for a quick turnaround. Enjoy your new home.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Door

Check the piece of wood that is on the floor at the entrance.Look towards the inside of the door and check and see if the screen door has been rubbing against it.You will see a darker area where it rubs.I had to file the wood down in that spot before in my previous Airstream and that fixed the problem.Door would close smooth as churned butter.I can not say that is it but you never know.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Welcome to the Airstream problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversharon
Hello Airstream owners,
I can tell you are a happy New Airstream owner. Welcome to the the on-going Airstream problems. When you buy a so called high quality product you expect minor problems. Guess what, this product is full of big problems for the last five years!!! It is a shame that a company with the reputation it has it turn out a product which is comparable to the low end trailers( which in some cases can have none of the problems we see with Airstream) I have own two Airstreams have have had nothing but problems with both of them. I would not recommend this trailer to any of my friends. This will be an issue on this forum( who are die hard Airstream fans) but lets face it. When you pay the dollar amount for a product it should be checked out at the dealership before they even think about turning it over to the buyer. Has this ever been done?
Sorry, but I am not a fan of the Airstream product or Wally like most of the post you read here. I am considering unloading this albratross and going back to my dream fifth wheel (Holiday Rambler) which I should of stayed with. Sorry to deflate your Airstream dream, but down the road you will agree with my comments.
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 international