Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Zamp port

I just bought a 2018 FC 27. I towed it home, and then over to storage. The one thing I didn't look for was whether it had a plug for a Zamp suitcase solar panel.

Does anyone happen to know whether this year and model Airstream has a Zamp port. I'm guessing it would be on the A-frame up near the battery box.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Mine is on the battery box curb side. 2018 FC 27, factory solar.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
Mine is on the battery box curb side. 2018 FC 27, factory solar.

Thanks. I'll take a peek in the spring. By the way, I notice you're in Erie, PA. When we were towing the Airstream home to New England, we stayed overnight at the Erie, PA Travel Center of America. It was great. Well lighted, clean as a whistle, and had pretty good food. The staff there was nice as could be. The only complaint was the weather. We were on the road just as that system was starting to build through western New York.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Bluetick, is that 27’ FC in addition to the Caravel in your signature line? Just curious!

I’m familiar with “twofootitic”, moving up to longer trailer but adding to your collection is a lesser known afflictions.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Zamp connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Thanks. I'll take a peek in the spring. By the way, I notice you're in Erie, PA. When we were towing the Airstream home to New England, we stayed overnight at the Erie, PA Travel Center of America. It was great. Well lighted, clean as a whistle, and had pretty good food. The staff there was nice as could be. The only complaint was the weather. We were on the road just as that system was starting to build through western New York.
Here's a picture I found on the net. If you can read the label it says to use only zamp panels. On mine (as I rewired my system to all victron) that plugs connects directly to the battery side of the system, so any generic panels plugged in to that connector will need a solar controller, unless they are a true portable package which would/should have an integrated controller.

I use mine as an external battery source for my 12v gadgets. I've added panels to the roof so haven't experimented with portable panels yet.

If your ever through the area again there are some nice wineries in that same area if your a harvest host member. Also we have a Wmrt and Cracker barrel both at route 19 exit 24 that are OK stopovers. Look me up.

As for the weather that stretch of I90 from that point to buffalo is notorious for lake effect snow and NY routinely closes sections of 90. An alternative route to take through that area is route 20, not as fast but an easy drive and thats where the wineries are.
Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zamp solar smart plug.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	425885  
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Bluetick, is that 27’ FC in addition to the Caravel in your signature line? Just curious!

I’m familiar with “twofootitic”, moving up to longer trailer but adding to your collection is a lesser known afflictions.

No. I sold the Caravel 22. Then we found a likely FC out in Ohio. We drove out, bought it, towed it back, winterized it and stored it.

However, I have run into a lot of people at rallies that have more than one Airstream. I've also run into people that have an Airstream and a SuperC RV.
So I think little Airstream fleets are actually fairly common. Just too rich for my blood, though.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
Here's a picture I found on the net. If you can read the label it says to use only zamp panels. On mine (as I rewired my system to all victron) that plugs connects directly to the battery side of the system, so any generic panels plugged in to that connector will need a solar controller, unless they are a true portable package which would/should have an integrated controller.

I use mine as an external battery source for my 12v gadgets. I've added panels to the roof so haven't experimented with portable panels yet.

If your ever through the area again there are some nice wineries in that same area if your a harvest host member. Also we have a Wmrt and Cracker barrel both at route 19 exit 24 that are OK stopovers. Look me up.

As for the weather that stretch of I90 from that point to buffalo is notorious for lake effect snow and NY routinely closes sections of 90. An alternative route to take through that area is route 20, not as fast but an easy drive and thats where the wineries are.
Rick.
Thanks, Rick. We did stop at that Walmart to pick up a few things. Then we left the Airstream in the parking lot and walked over to the Cracker Barrel. Great place; one of my favorites. As far as route 20, that's a great tip; I grew up in Onondaga County and that's where I learned to drive. The driver's ed up there used to devote a good deal of the course to driving on snow and ice.

We'll certainly look you up next time we go through that neck of the woods. Probably on our way out to Wyoming in June.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My 2017 had it on the curb side. I moved it to the street side when I installed a battery disconnect on the curbside.
All it entails is a SAE-2 plug wired backwards on a bracket pop riveted to the battery box.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Our "Zamp port" is the 7-pin, (two portable panels), KISS

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B13DB199-0257-40E2-94FE-B2F44C3F087F.jpg
Views:	12