Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
the 1000w will do all the things that you described, but that is about all. The 2000w on the other hand, albeit slightly heavier, slightly louder, slightly thistier, and slightly pricier will do just about everything you need, now or later, except run your AC. My recommendation is to buy the 2000w.
+1

When I have a customer who asks about a Honda EU1000i generator, I know they are usually looking for the smallest unit that will do what they want. What they don't realize is how many more things they will want to run after they start using it regularly. I've lost count the number of customers who've told me the bought the EU1000i and wished they'd gotten the larger 2000 watt model. Twice the power, of course, but for not much more money, and expandable (EU2000i Companion model) to a whopping 4,000 watts. I've yet to run into a customer who bought an EU2 and wished they'd gotten the smaller EU1 instead.

The EU1000i is ideal for certain situations. For example, if you're a hiker or must hand-carry gear/equipment, it's great. Likewise for pilots of small aircraft who must carefully watch weight requirements.

Finally, understand the EU1000i has a 2-year warranty, and is a 100% all-aluminum engine. The EU2000i has a 3-year warranty and has an aluminum block, but a longer-lasting cast-iron cylinder sleeve. On another forum, a guy recently rebuilt his EU2000i after logging over 10,000 hours of operation (!).
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have two Yamaha 2000's with the companion option kit which provides a 30 amp outlet. They also have been converted to run on propane and natural gas in addition to gasoline. The Yamaha's have two fuel shut offs so I never smell the gasoline. I bought the two units because of their relatively light weight. We take one in the winter and both in the summer if we want to run the A/C. They are very quiet and two makes about the same noise as one. I agree with most here that both brands are very reliable. Mine are conversions bought from US Carb. They were very easy to work with.