Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Wiring problem w moving batteries

So I bought 3 100ah ahm batteries that I'm installing inside the trailer. I disconnected 2 sets of terminal wires from the old battery box and I'm in the process of pulling g those wires into the trailer to connect the new battery bank.
One of the terminal set was 4 awg and runs into the trailer to a large positive T fuse and then on to the inverter. That one is no problem. It comes up from the outside thru the floor and is straight forward.
The other terminal wires are 6awg and run from the outside into the same hole that the other wire came thru in the floor. However. Inside the trailer it does not appear through the same access hole as the 4awg did. It appears about 10 inches away toward the exterior wall thru another hole on the floor and the negative wire is no longer black but white instead. It then connects with the use/store diode.
My question is where does that wire go once in enters the outside floor before it emerges 10 inches away inside the trailer floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180302_121706.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	305277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180302_121730.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	305278  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180302_121804.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	305279  

canesx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesx5 View Post
The other terminal wires are 6awg and run from the outside into the same hole that the other wire came thru in the floor. However. Inside the trailer it does not appear through the same access hole as the 4awg did. It appears about 10 inches away toward the exterior wall thru another hole on the floor and the negative wire is no longer black but white instead. It then connects with the use/store diode.
My question is where does that wire go once in enters the outside floor before it emerges 10 inches away inside the trailer floor.
You can't intercept them from there - if the next stop on the red wire is the battery disconnect, then it's already passed the positive bus. According to your Owners Manual this is located: under the front bed and riveted to the inside skin front plate.

This is where your batteries will need to connect to. There might be an inline 50amp breaker too on the red.

Likewise the white white wire is the line running from the negative bus that grounds to the chassis. I'm going to guess that's located near to the always hot positive bus.

Let us know if you find it.

russellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Contact Airstream and they will email your trailers electrical schematics.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I think the 2 wires in your hand in the second picture are going to the converter not coming from the battery. The battery lead goes to your pos bus bar and attaches far left on the bar. The red wire next to that runs to the store switch then runs towards the converter through your hand. The white is ground wire. The black coming in with that first red is the neg from the battery.
At least it was in my 2016 23. Does that help or hinder?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Yes I figured it out. You are correct the wires in the second picture are going to the converter. I didn't see the second set of terminal wires in the first picture from inside the trailer. They were hidden by the bundle of wires coming from the 5 pin connector. Thanks to everyone who answered. I just wanted to make sure before I started cutting wires and pulling them out if their original position.
canesx5 is offline   Reply With Quote