Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Wiring new things

What's a recommended method for wiring up a new 12v fan for the Air Head composting toilet I'm installing in 23' 2008 CCD International? I removed the old toilet and box it sat on to reveal the black tank. It is staying. The Air Head will vent to the old black tank vent pipe. New box will let the Air Head sit lower to the floor. Now I'm looking for some wires to connect the Air Head's 12v muffin fan.

I see two wires (violet and white) escaping down under the black tank heading to the rear of the trailer somewhere. Can I splice into one of those two wires for my hot connection and keep looking for a ground (assume it will be a black wire)? Or do I need to run new wires back to the DC panel (beneath my refrigerator, I think, with the little black twisty lock to keep the door shut)?

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
What's a recommended method for wiring up a new 12v fan for the Air Head composting toilet I'm installing in 23' 2008 CCD International? I removed the old toilet and box it sat on to reveal the black tank. It is staying. The Air Head will vent to the old black tank vent pipe. New box will let the Air Head sit lower to the floor. Now I'm looking for some wires to connect the Air Head's 12v muffin fan.

I see two wires (violet and white) escaping down under the black tank heading to the rear of the trailer somewhere. Can I splice into one of those two wires for my hot connection and keep looking for a ground (assume it will be a black wire)? Or do I need to run new wires back to the DC panel (beneath my refrigerator, I think, with the little black twisty lock to keep the door shut)?

Thanks for the tips.
Unless you know what switch and what fuse controls those wires you see, it's probably best to run all new wiring back to the DC fuse panel.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Good points, Bubbagumper and Protagonist. Thanks. I'll keep poking around - but (thinking out loud) if those two wires do run the exhaust fan and that fan is controlled by the button on the fan, then I might be able to tap into those? They'd be hot to the exhaust fan right? I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for the trailer.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Yes, bubbagumper, I do. Assume violet will read +12v and ground will read 0 volts? I also checked the circuit box: the violet runs the sewer something (perhaps the gauge?) as well as bedroom and closet lights. I'm tempted to tap into that - this little fan pulls .06 amps. Yes. dot zero six. So I don't expect it will overload the 20 amp circuit especially as I'm changing lights gradually to LED.