Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2024, 07:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Olive Branch , Mississippi
Wiring Mess

In my efforts to troubleshoot my converter issues (from another thread), I had to open up the electronics compartment under my twin bed. I got the converter fixed, but I'm concerned with the general state of the compartment. For reference, this is a 2024 27' GT. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	443923  
os1r1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
os1r1s, well some things never change! Looks similar to our 2019 27’ Globetrotter FBT’s before I cleaned it up last year while installing a Victron MultiPlus II and Battle Born GC3.

If you ever have the opportunity to get into the compartment it’s worth shortening up the extra wires. The DC box is pre-wired with pigtails of wires then installed in your trailer. I was able to take out a foot or more and eliminate the connectors. One wire pulled out of the connector’s fitting while doing so.

Sorry to say this is standard fare for wiring…. Photo on the top is after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9504.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	443924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	443925  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Unfortunately, yes. You'll get lots of sympathy. Disconnect your batteries and shore power. Take them one at a time, shorten and reconnect or coil up and zip tie.

On the upside, you'll feel more confident the next time you're troubleshooting some electrical issue.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 04:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' International
Dallas , Texas
This video has a good explanation of why it's that way; not a good excuse but a good explanation.

shannonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 07:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Mobile , Alabama
No excuse for poor wiring management practices. Just laziness, poor QC, lax standards, and focus on profit.

Look at high end boat wiring on something like a Boston Whaler some time. Clean, clear, easy to trace.
Duckear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 07:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Duckear is correct. You can do it right or demonstrate you don't care.

I was so upset when I first discovered our "rats nest" I sent a note to the factory with photos on proper wiring. As I recall I received a "Thanks we'll pass it along" note in return.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Typical Wiring.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	443974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring in Panduit.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	443975  

TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Everybody complains, then tells each other how to fix it. Airstream cares not, since you mindlessly keep buying their kool aid.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckear View Post
No excuse for poor wiring management practices. Just laziness, poor QC, lax standards, and focus on profit.

Look at high end boat wiring on something like a Boston Whaler some time. Clean, clear, easy to trace.
Agree. But they keep doing it. Absolutely disgraceful. Makes electrical troubleshooting a nightmare.

Only one solution, rip it out and do it right. It is not really that hard.

See this thread. Cleaning it up also frees up a lot of storage space.

By the way the Electric Globetrotter has been operated for two season (around 14,000 miles). So far not one failure related to the extensive conversion. Diesel heaters really make a difference and pulling the propane system saves so much weight and space.
Old 06-04-2024, 09:47 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Yes, that is normal. Airstream’s wiring is shockingly bad. The ridiculous thing is that DC panel actually has terminal blocks in it. But rather than land the wires on the terminal block, they’re paying somebody to wire pigtails with crimp splices to all the terminals and then landing all the wires at the splices. They could just transfer the guy who wires pigtails to the terminals and move him to the assembly line and have him wire the actual wires to the terminals instead.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Everybody complains, then tells each other how to fix it. Airstream cares not, since you mindlessly keep buying their kool aid.
Airstream quality and presumed arrogance comes up all the time. We had a lot of warranty items we attributed some to vendors and some to Airstream. We had the repairs done at JC a couple of months ago and based on others' experience and the reassurance of our tech we thought we might see another side of Airstream where quality standards were much higher. Well, we got the trailer back and about 1/4 of things weren't fixed right, and last weekend I found they bent the front of the stove when they replaced the countertop which had chips in it. So, I'm wondering if it's a cultural or process thing - no one checked the work. Other thoughts:
  1. Airstreams are iconic and unique, there is no real competition, they compete against themselves. There are minor players, but no one has their product and brand. You can't go across the street to the Chevy dealer if you don't like the Ford. They're the old phone company: "They don't care because they don't have to".
  2. It's a very small town and the bright lights of Elkhart make it hard to keep good employees.
  3. With the "rat's nest", I don't think they care because it's cheaper than doing it right, it works, doesn't violate any codes. The vast majority of buyers don't do any electrical work and may never even look at it and don't care either.

With the rat's nest I don't like it either but I have all my upgrades working and I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time making it look nice and potentially messing something up. Yes, there are advantages, but I have a lot of other things to do.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 01:59 PM   #11
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
I have spent over 50 years on boats. From very small to very large and the first time I looked at the wiring I was agast at the mess. To this day I find new ways they have
badly done a simple job. Wires that don't go anywhere just cut off, bad crimps, crimps 6" from other crimps, loose connections a 12 volt panel you can't work on once you open it because you only have 2" of clearance. Electric connection secured with a wrap of electrical tape and left to rattle round in a aluminum box .Eventually something really bad will happen and the courts will get involved and then the industry will be forced to develop a safety standard.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Chandler , Arizona
perfectly normal for Thor industries. I was shocked when i saw my 2023 classic 33 in there same condition, I cleaned it up, but its something that the factory should be taking pride in there workmanship. It's obviously just not there. Sad but true. before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1902.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	444199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	444200  

Saullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saullman View Post
perfectly normal for Thor industries. I was shocked when i saw my 2023 classic 33 in there same condition, I cleaned it up, but its something that the factory should be taking pride in there workmanship. It's obviously just not there. Sad but true. before and after pictures.
Very nice job on the cleanup. I had a half million dollar Newmar diesel pusher before the Airstream. Same mess in the electrical system. So this problem is typical of the RV industry, even the "quality" brands.

I suppose they will say they need to do this to be competitive. Fine. But how about an option for more money to build it right the first time.

Why is this important. A poor electrical system design and installation leads to more failures. But that is just the beginning because a failure typically takes much more time to troubleshoot with a bundle of wire and components like you see in the before pictures.

Many owners do not see all this since they leave all the maintenance to someone else but they wind up paying in the end, sometimes many times over versus doing it right the first time.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:50 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2019 28' International
Prescott , Arizona
I recommend you wait a bit before cleaning up the rats nest. Decide if you there are any electrical modifications you want to do.
I cleaned mine up when I moved my lithium batteries under my L shaped sofa, added solar shut off, a Smart Shunt and buss bars.

Here's a pic before I reassembled the sofa.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2727.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	444523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	444524  

Dhleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Finally someone said it out loud. Thank you!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Finally someone said it out loud. Thank you!
This leaves me wondering then what is the alternative to buying the kool aid? I don't think there are many other RV brands that have nice wiring. Also, people don't buy Airstreams because they have nicely organized wiring. I'd guess it would add some cost to the trailer, how much do you want to pay extra?
Old 06-22-2024, 09:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
This leaves me wondering then what is the alternative to buying the kool aid? I don't think there are many other RV brands that have nice wiring. Also, people don't buy Airstreams because they have nicely organized wiring. I'd guess it would add some cost to the trailer, how much do you want to pay extra?
I think the answer is to accept the fact that no matter what RV you buy, it is an incomplete product based on modern production standards. This is not just an Airstream problem, it is the entire RV industry.

In my case I bit the bullet, bought a 2022 Globetrotter then proceeded to tear it apart and finish the job right. I am so happy how it turned out.

There is a possible break though coming. As a position holder for the new L1 Lightship I get regular updates on the progress. They just finished their first conforming production chassis. The images reveal this RV will be built using modern automotive production standards. So there is hope.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
I think the answer is to accept the fact that no matter what RV you buy, it is an incomplete product based on modern production standards. This is not just an Airstream problem, it is the entire RV industry.

In my case I bit the bullet, bought a 2022 Globetrotter then proceeded to tear it apart and finish the job right. I am so happy how it turned out.

There is a possible break though coming. As a position holder for the new L1 Lightship I get regular updates on the progress. They just finished their first conforming production chassis. The images reveal this RV will be built using modern automotive production standards. So there is hope.
Looks interesting and state of the art, but at $300k for the base model, I'm wondering how much of a market there is. But then it does have a deck. There's another one I saw Pebble Flow it's around $110k, no deck but lots of tech.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Looks interesting and state of the art, but at $300k for the base model, I'm wondering how much of a market there is. But then it does have a deck. There's another one I saw Pebble Flow it's around $110k, no deck but lots of tech.
Be curious to know the source of the information predicting a $300k price for the LightShip.

My reservation contract says something completely different. I suspect the price will get much higher after the intial introduction given the features and build quality of this RV, but for now I am expecting to pay $151,500 for the long range version.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Be curious to know the source of the information predicting a $300k price for the LightShip.

My reservation contract says something completely different. I suspect the price will get much higher after the intial introduction given the features and build quality of this RV, but for now I am expecting to pay $151,500 for the long range version.

I was on this page and clicked on the "Models" tab and the drop down had the pricing. It doesn't show up like that on the home page. Your price makes much more sense.