Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Wiring diagram from Umbilical to rear of trailer.

I'm searching for information related to my 1970 Safari. I'm going to be tracking down problems with my electrical system. I have a good idea of what is happening with the 110 power, and the 12v power in front of the univolt.

What I'm looking for is how the system from the umbilical to the marker lights/tail lights and univolt is handled. I believe a harness is run from the front, up into the center ceiling panel, then down.

- I'm "missing" my electric brake breakaway wiring. Where is this typically fed from?

- Where should I be looking for my Brake Line? does this go from the front directly under the bellypan?

I'll be replacing the univolt with an intellipower. Should I just pull all new wires to the back?

Ready for wiring fun this weekend!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm searching for information related to my 1970 Safari. I'm going to be tracking down problems with my electrical system. I have a good idea of what is happening with the 110 power, and the 12v power in front of the univolt.

What I'm looking for is how the system from the umbilical to the marker lights/tail lights and univolt is handled. I believe a harness is run from the front, up into the center ceiling panel, then down.

- I'm "missing" my electric brake breakaway wiring. Where is this typically fed from?

- Where should I be looking for my Brake Line? does this go from the front directly under the bellypan?

I'll be replacing the univolt with an intellipower. Should I just pull all new wires to the back?

Ready for wiring fun this weekend!

Hope this helps, this is what I followed..........toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	album_pic.jpg
Views:	13743
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	106155  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

The breakaway switch is wired into the hot battery charge line right at or near the 7-pin connector, as is the electric hitch jack (if you have one). It then splices into the brake line at or near the same place.

I am not 100% certain of this, but I think the brake wire is the only wire that runs into the belly pan at the 7-Pin connector.

No need to pull new wires unless you have reason to believe that the insulation is bad. All my wiring in three 70s Airstreams that lived their lives in the SW deserts are fine. You'd think in the heat they'd have become brittle and cracked. They are stiff, but not brittle. Airstream used very heavy gauge wire, so no worry about high currents, as long as you tap into the heavy ground (white) and blue (battery charge line).

Zep
Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
On our '72 Sovereign, the brake wire (2 conductor 12 gauge wire – blue and white) ran from the connector inside the front skin, inside the wall towards the port side, down through a hole in the front c-channel and plywood, and into the port side frame. It then ran aft along the port side frame until just in front of the first axel. There, using wire nuts, it branched off to the 4 wheels. It dropped down through the belly pan (using rubber grommets) just in front of the axel by each wheel and then ran into the back of the hub. There was maybe 8 inches of the brake wire exposed.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Toastie, that document is perfect! Thank you!

So what's the chances my wiring is the correct color? I already know the answer. none.

So my ground (white) is a large (12ga) and I believe I have one more 12ga, maybe black.

I have a ground short somewhere in the trailer. I think I'll just start eliminating possibilities till I find it.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote