Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Belmont , New York
Question Wiring diagram for a '58 Overlander

My husband and I are fresh-caught newbies, never owned an RV, much less a very cool vintage Airstream! We are so psyched with the beauty in the driveway. We are handy folk, in fact my husband is the buildings and facilities manager for our local Headstart, a hands-on position. Anyhow, we are trying to get our Airstream up-to-snuff. One thing my husband wants is a wiring diagram of the beast as it should look. Any hints out there? Or am I just missing a past thread?
atmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
First and foremost, WELCOME to the forums. You'll find alot of help here. As for the wiring diagram, Airstream didn't provide an owners manual with their trailers until appr. 1964 so finding a 1958 wiring diagram is not likely. I may be able to help you if you are looking for specific info but I'll need to know what model of trim line you have. It will either be a standard, land yacht or international and this can be found out by identifying certain options available on the interior. Below is a break down of the different trim levels:

Here's the info from an earlier post, This is the most complete info regarding model offerings I have found. Only applies to our era of trailer ~

"LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel"
In reviewing some early '60s Airstream promotional material I have, I found a two page info sheet entitled "LAND YACHTING...the better way to travel." I'll post some of the information:

"A 'Land Yacht' is a personal highway cruiser manufactured by Airstream, and specifically designed and outfitted, down to the last luxurious detail, for unlimited road voyaging. A Land Yacht is no mere house trailer, or so-called mobile home, pressed into service for weekend or vacation use. Indeed a conventional trailer no more resembles a Land Yacht than a canal barge compares to travel-cruise luxury liner." Wally at his best

On the second page of this flyer, is the best designation I have found to explain the distinctions between the model lines:

"The Airstream Fleet
Every Airstream is built to the same rigid construction standards and must satisfy the travel specifications of the world's most adventurous roamers – the Wally Byam Caravanners. Chassis, running gear, body design and basic equipment have proved their ability to take the punishment of Etheopian roads as successfully as they cruise the turnpikes of Pennsylvania. The same essential comforts are found in any Airstream—airfoam beds, efficient space heater, well-planned galley and attractive interior decoration.

The STANDARD Airstream features the famous road-worthy qualities of all Airstreams. It has the best in convenient equipment and appliances such as an ice-electric refrigerator, electric hot water heater, 110V wiring, copper water lines with easily accessible input connections and regulation drainage outlet.

The LAND YACHT Series If you plan to spend time away from the beaten path where commercial facilites are not available, you'll probably want one of the Land Yacht series. All Airstream Land Yachts, from 18 foot to 30 foot models, are completely outfitted for extended stays away from the standard light, water and sewer connections. The equipment that makes this self-containment possible includes a pressure water system with tank and air compressor, 12V electrical system (in addition to the regular 110V wiring) with battery and 12V light fixtures—this also operates the air compressor that keeps water running to all faucets...a gas refrigerator and gas hot water heater...a marine-type toilet equipped with hand spray flushing device to conserve water and the Airstream sanitator, to provide toilet convenience away from a sewer hookup.

The INTERNATIONAL LAND YACHT Series is the last word in travel luxury, combining every Airstream engineering achievement with elegant interior furnishings. Beautiful materials are used for the upholstery; draperies are tastefully lined; matching bed spreads are included as well as wall pads to give the appearance of a couch. All fabrics are chosen for carefree maintenance and resistance to wear under the most exacting conditions. Cabinets are exquisitely finished. Self containment is developed to the highest degree in these models. Any new equipment available here or abroad is tested for possible inclusion to make the International the most independant and luxurious. The basic additional features include a water purifier, 12V electrical system throughout including a 12V ceiling ventilator fan and 12V outlet for a shaver and other appliances. Two oversize gas tanks with automatic switch-over regulator, space heater, police-type radio antenna and deluxe hub caps. The features of the International Land Yacht models are not "frozen," they are subject to constant improvement to give their owners the very best.

There is an Airstream model to suit your dreams. Whichever one you choose will take you on the happiest travel-adventures anywhere in the world.

*If it isn't an AIRSTREAM, it isn't a LAND YACHT"

This use of the term Land Yacht is probably not the first use of it in Airstream literature or promotional materials. Wally sure had a way with words. This is, no doubt, a reflection on his days as an advertising exec.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
check out this link;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Belmont , New York
Holy smokes, you can get lost in some of those threads!

I dunno if I'm frightened (porbably intelligently so) or not.

Thank you very much for the links.
atmouse is offline   Reply With Quote