Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Lightbulb Wiring AC to run on generator

Hello there , I Ran a search and didn’t find what I need

I am installed a new Furrion AC manual controls (14,500 bru) into my 1972 land yacht overlander

I understand from the install thar I need to “ Routea115VACsupplywirewith ground wire from the time delay fuse or circuit breaker box to the roof opening.”

Ok so know how to do that I am pretty good with electrical

What I need to know is: after I do the above wiring what cord with male connector do I need to wire in order to run it off my generator?

I have a champion dual fuel generator with One 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R) and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) - trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads

So…..

I connect the wires from the cord to the fuse “box” and then the other end will have a male end

Which one do I get?

Thanks so so much I have spent hours looking through the forums and google etc

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Emmaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With a normal A/C install in a normal trailer, the wires run from the A/C unit to the breaker panel in the trailer (yes if you go back far enough it's a fuse panel). That panel routes AC power to various bits and pieces in the trailer, one being the converter / charger.

The breaker panel runs out to a socket on the side of the trailer. It likely is a 30A connector of one sort or another. Various era AS trailers used various connectors. Over the years older trailers have been "upgraded" to a variety of connectors. ( = who knows what's there now without a picture ....). That 30A hooks into your shore power cable and goes over to the campground power post.

The "easy" way to hook in a generator is to simply adapt it to the same three pin connector that the shore power cable uses. They are a standard item and Lowes or Home Depot should have both sides of the connector on the shelf.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Thanks Bob

There is literally nothing in my AS

It’s gutted I have the Insulation in as well as sun floor so I’m building this from ground up

Planning a solar system have purchased everything I need just need to install

So romex in conduit to fuse panel to charge controller to plug?
Emmaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaggy View Post
Thanks Bob

There is literally nothing in my AS

It’s gutted I have the Insulation in as well as sun floor so I’m building this from ground up

Planning a solar system have purchased everything I need just need to install

So romex in conduit to fuse panel to charge controller to plug?
Hi

First work out *all* of the things that will have 120V going to them. This includes stuff like outlets in the kitchen and power for an outdoor grill. It also may include power to the furnace and to the hot water heater.

Once you have a good idea of how many circuits / how many amps per circuit you can go shopping for a breaker box. It's going to have to get tucked in somewhere. It will have a main breaker for the feed from the power inlet socket and sub breakers for each of the circuits. It may well have a few "ground fault" breakers in the mix.

The normal "big decision" is 30A or 50A feed to the box. A 30A feed is going to be 30A at 120V. A 50 A feed is 100A at 120V. There are multiple "standard" plugs for each of them. You can use the fancy Smart Plug's on either or the more traditional twist locks.

The key is to get a pretty good idea of what's what before you start pulling wire.

To answer the conduit question, the typical modern AS trailer does not have any conduit in it. There is a lot of debate about the "best" way to do wire in a trailer.

Yes, there's a lot more to it than this quick snapshot. There also are a lot of threads on this stuff. There's also no shame in getting a pro involved.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote