Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Wireless Backup Camera for Your Bambi

There have been previous discussions on the forum about the Wireless Rear
Views Camera, and its use on the back of an Airstream. I had concerns on
how well it would work on the back of our Bambi vs on the back of the
vehicle, which is really what this camera was designed for. The concern was mainly
signal strength.

Anyways I decided to take the plunge, and bought the VR3 wireless camera
manufactured by Virtual Reality Video Labs. I bought it at Canadian Tire for
$115.99 Cdn + taxes.

The camera easily mounts on the rear license plate bolts. I used the supplied
wedge shaped mounting shims to tip the camera a bit so it aligns horizontally,
rather than tilted down as the license plate is.

I decided the best way to wire in the camera was simply to connect it in with
the rear hatch light which has a push button switch on it. ie push the button
on and power is supplied to the camera! So when we arrive at the campground
I just send Kate back to turn on the rear light hatch, and voila! the camera is now
on.

Light in the rear hatch just to the right inside the rear hatch...

Red wire from the camera (pos) to other side of the light switch (black wire).
Black wire from the camera (neg) to the white white going to the light...

Camera mounted on license plate with wire into hatch. Note: as per instructions, I didn't cut of
surplus length of camera wire. When needed, I pull out the excess wire from the rear hatch and
looped it up into the rear window. Why?? Well the signal is a tad marginal considering the wireless
signal has to travel from the camera all the way up to the tow vehicle, a bit farther than intended.
By fiddling with the excess wire, I am able to get a bit clearer picture on the monitor. Not sure if
there is any other way to 'boost' the signal.

In my case, I got the clearest picture (of our messy garage) when I sat the camera monitor on
the side of the passengers seat as so. No doubt in actual usage, I might have to fiddle about with
the position to get a clear signal...

I might try mounting the camera up high on the rear of the Airstream which might transmit a
stronger signal to the monitor without having to transmit through the Airstream.... we'll see.

Considering the signal gets a tad marginal, I'd think that use of this camera on an Airstream longer
than a 19ft Bambi would be an issue.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Well done, and very informative! I've been looking at that model, and have seen it on sale locally for under $100.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Neat-o. I would like to have a system like that. I've been waiting for someone else to find one that works before I take the plunge

Does it reverse the image from the camera? I've heard that's one thing that's confusing about looking at backup monitors, because we are used to looking at the image in the rear view mirror.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi

I wanted to put it on my 31 foot but there was not enough signal. Next unit I will mount on the rear bumper driver side so there is less metall between the receiver and transmitter.
I bought my unit at Costco for 89.95
The first unit I put on my 1952 jeep it sure works like a charm. Great back up mirror.
Regards from Russell in sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Neat-o. I would like to have a system like that. I've been waiting for someone else to find one that works before I take the plunge

Does it reverse the image from the camera? I've heard that's one thing that's confusing about looking at backup monitors, because we are used to looking at the image in the rear view mirror.
There is a button so you can change the orientation. So if the image is upside down (you have the camera flipped) you can flip the image. You can
also flip the image horizontally as well.

I believe there is a simplier version of this camera out there, that doesn't have the 4 buttons. I recommend the 4 button version as you have the brightness and contrast buttons which I need to use to get a clear picture, as well as the image orientation button. The 4th button is on/off.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have one also; my approach was a little different. I took a rubber band and hooked it over the emergency window release using the rubber band to attach the camera looking out of the window. I added a 12-volt plug and plugged the unit into the 12 volt socket on the trailer wall, on all the time. I have a backup camera and a rear view camera rolled into one. Worked great on the road, some interference in the city but the antenna is inside of the trailer.

If you had hook the camera into you license plate light all you have to do is turn on your lights to turn on the camera, you don’t have to get out of the car and you can turn on the camera in traffic to see who is behind you. I tow with my lights on anyway. That is what I will do when I set mine up permanently.

BTW I have a 25' trailer.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Update: Ok so far this camera rates a 2 out of 10... mainly because the signal just is too weak.

Hopefully mounting up just below the rear window will help with the signal... otherwise I'll add this to my list of useless accessories.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Our Wal-Mart had these exact cameras on sale for $50 a couple weeks ago in the electronics department. I passed since we have a 31' 310 RV and it sounds like the distance will be too far.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thumbs down Wireless Camera = Useless

The latest on this camera.

One word... S UH KS !

I gave up using it... just too unreliable, picture breaks up, too much static. Tried it on several occassions now to no avail.

What DOES work is something that costs you nothing... something you might already 'own'... they call it 'The Wife' !

The Wife works very well in my opinion, if you add the 2 way radio option.

Anyways Kate and I are getting pretty good using radios to do the whole backup thing... MUCH better then that useless backup camera. I simple have the windows rolled down and have her give constant feedback over the radio during the backup process. I find if she continues to provide feedback, then I can trust that all is well and can focus on manuveuring the trailer.

So maybe I'll just take the camera and mount it on the back of our Yukon instead, and use it for backing up over the ball... so all is not lost.

The wireless signal just isn't strong enough to transmit from the back of the trailer to the front tv console... and thats just a 19ft Bambi. Has got to be worst on anything longer.... so save you're bucks, even though its cheap and you'll be a Happier Camper.

Maybe I should submit my unit to 'Will it Blend'

See Will It Blend? | Presented By Blendtec

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks for the report, Dave. Glad I didn't take the plunge this time.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk

What DOES work is something that costs you nothing... something you might already 'own'... they call it 'The Wife' !

I have found "the wife" option to be very expensive and not just financially.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ok how about the husband? I back up without the help of a camera or a husband.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
The latest on this camera.

One word... S UH KS !

I gave up using it... just too unreliable, picture breaks up, too much static. Tried it on several occassions now to no avail.

The Wife works very well in my opinion, if you add the 2 way radio option.

Anyways Kate and I are getting pretty good using radios to do the whole backup thing... MUCH better then that useless backup camera. I simple have the windows rolled down and have her give constant feedback over the radio during the backup process. I find if she continues to provide feedback, then I can trust that all is well and can focus on manuveuring the trailer.

So maybe I'll just take the camera and mount it on the back of our Yukon instead, and use it for backing up over the ball... so all is not lost.

The wireless signal just isn't strong enough to transmit from the back of the trailer to the front tv console... and thats just a 19ft Bambi. Has got to be worst on anything longer.... so save you're bucks, even though its cheap and you'll be a Happier Camper.

Maybe I should submit my unit to 'Will it Blend'

See Will It Blend? | Presented By Blendtec

Cheers
Andy at Inland RV swears by these cameras. He was testing one a while back, is this the same model?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Andy at Inland RV swears by these cameras. He was testing one a while back, is this the same model?

Michael
Same one.

Some said you cannot leave them on very long.

We put one thru a continuous 500 hour test. (Three weeks).

Worked just as well after as it did at the beginning.

Every Airstream owner that backs their rig up, should have one.

They are cheap compared to paying an insurance deductible along with the inconvenience of having the trailer in a shop for body work.

But it's like insurance.

It's useless, "UNTIL" you need it. Then it's worth far more than it's cost.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream

Michael
I checked Andy's posting about this camera. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ers-28419.html

He mentioned testing it 150 feet away from the monitor, but at 150 feet, I wonder if he just clear space between the camera and the monitor. I found the signal was good too, with nothing in the way. Much like walkie talkies... the range is vastly great without obstacles. In this case the Airstream is the big issue, and the signal doesn't not pass through it very well.

I just checked... Andy aksi mentioned later that the camera worked through three walls and a ceiling, about 55 feet. I'd guess that the signal loss through an aluminum airstream and steel tow vehicle is more than drywall and 2x fours.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like a real usage test on the back of an Airstream...

Maybe Andy will pitch in with some feedback from customers who have bought and used this unit.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I checked Andy's posting about this camera. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ers-28419.html

He mentioned testing it 150 feet away from the monitor, but at 150 feet, I wonder if he just clear space between the camera and the monitor. I found the signal was good too, with nothing in the way. Much like walkie talkies... the range is vastly great without obstacles. In this case the Airstream is the big issue, and the signal doesn't not pass through it very well.

I just checked... Andy aksi mentioned later that the camera worked through three walls and a ceiling, about 55 feet. I'd guess that the signal loss through an aluminum airstream and steel tow vehicle is more than drywall and 2x fours.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like a real usage test on the back of an Airstream...

Maybe Andy will pitch in with some feedback from customers who have bought and used this unit.
Your correct in the three walls and a ceiling.

As with any "radio" signal, you must have a good transmitter, and, a good receiver.

That backup camera kit has both.

However, the transmission signal can severely be reduced if the installation was incorrect. A certain length of the 12 volt cable for the camera must be retained, since that is the transmitting antenna.

The excess wire, at least to some degree, can be coiled and fastened to the back of the license plate. That will improve the transmiission signal from the camera, to the receiver.

We installed one on the "make over trailer".

Works fantastic.

Andy
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Andy, Where did you mount the camera on the "Makeover" trailer?

P.S. That trailer was beautifull!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A QUALITY unit...........

I have just sourced a well made, (naturally more expensive) wireless camera and monitor unit. They are made for a large bus safety equipment manufacturer and promise to be the answer to all of you that are seeking a wireless back-up camera system that really works.

I have a unit on order and will be testing it as soon as it arrives (perhaps next week). The other benefit of this unit is the ability to connect two cameras and toggle between them, allowing you to place one on the back of your TV and the other on the rear of the trailer, switching between the two.

I'll post the results (probably in a new thread) when I have completed the testing.

Stay tuned...................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Look forward to it Lew

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Andy, Where did you mount the camera on the "Makeover" trailer?

P.S. That trailer was beautifull!

Mounted the back up monitor camera on the top of the trailers license plate.

Andy