RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 05:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Winter Battery Care and Feeding

Hi all -- been reading a lot about batteries and the proper care and feeding but I'm still very much a newbie so much of the tech talk is a bit over my head. I put new AGM batteries into our AS and just finished winterizing the plumbing. The AS will not have shore power where we are storing it for the winter. I put the battery in store mode. We have 2 solar panels. Question is this: In store mode will the solar panels still maintain the batteries a bit? Should I take the batteries out and put them on a trickle charger for the winter? And bring them back out with me if I want to stay in the AS for a weekend?

If you recommend taking them home and putting them on a trickle charger, do you have a favorite brand for AGMs? Thanks!
beckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Lifeline AGM batteries are the gold standard. They should be fine in the trailer with the solar panels charging them given your mild winters in Seattle. If the solar charger is hooked directly to the batteries, they should continue to charge. Also, AGM batteries in general have a very slow leak-down rate in storage without any load.
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote