Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My batteries lasted 5 years....just check the water level a couple times a year , these batteries have been plugged in for months on end and run completely down..5 years....just replaced them.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
$40 solves this if you buy a marine grade switch and stick it in your battery box. Blue sea is the way to go.
Thanks for the Blie Sea recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob24 View Post
Instead of having to replace the converter to multi stage, can’t one just hit the store button to disconnect the battery when plugged into shore lower to prevent overcharging? Is this a workaround? Thx
As I wrote in post #16, for 2018, the battery disconnect does not disconnect the batteries when on shore power. It’s only designed to disconnect the batteries when the trailer is in storage, ie, not on shore power. If you think this is straight out of wtf land, then we are on the same page.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=dasams;2075231]Then why the heck doesn't AS install a proper battery disconnect For 2018 FC's, the battery disconnect is designed to work only when off of shore power

Hi,

They do it's the use/disconnect switch. If you are going to be continuously connected to shore power "disconnect" your battery. Your not using the battery why keep it in "use" mode? I use the switch to mean the battery, am I using the battery or can I disconnect from it. My Interstate batteries lasted 3 years in the trailer and I move both of them into other applications after upgrading the 6v with solar. Both are still serving me well, on a trickle charge when not in use.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
[QUOTE=Dexterpix;2075464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
They do it's the use/disconnect switch. If you are going to be continuously connected to shore power "disconnect" your battery. Your not using the battery why keep it in "use" mode?
Joe D
Hi Joe: Over the years, AS has changed their wiring systems and for 2018, the store/use switch does NOT disconnect the batteries when on shore power. Here's the quote from my 2018 FC owners manual:

"When the trailer is plugged into an external AC power source the 12-volt distribution panel will receive power from the converter and the batteries will be charged through the converter charging system regardless of if the battery switch is in the ON/OFF position. "

It's funny that they call it ON/OFF since my switch is labeled USE/STORE

I spoke to AS customer service and the rep said that AS has determined that the new three stage converter will not damage the batteries so there's no reason for a disconnect while on shore power.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
My batteries lasted 5 years....just check the water level a couple times a year , these batteries have been plugged in for months on end and run completely down..5 years....just replaced them.
Yup, like so many others have. People are fixing a problem that is simply not as significant as they believe. There are hundreds of thousands of RVs running out there with simple converters and solid battery life! Lead acid batteries don't mind a long float charge so long as the water level is checked. What kills them is deep discharging! You can thank the previous keeper (i.e. dealer) for that.

With a bit more knowledge, to check water levels and potentially how to disconnect, the batteries can be made to last even longer.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
OP back once again. I took my batteries to Interstate and three cells were dead, two in one battery and a third in the other. “This never happens to new batteries” said the man behind the counter. Well it does to me. Batteries were replaced under warranty and are back on shore power. I also checked all of the cells with my newly purchased hydrometer and all’s well.

It’s 6:30 in the morning and I checked the battery voltage before turning on the lights or using any adding any elec load. I was hoping to see 13.2 float I’m at 13.6 absorption. No surprise however since the fantastic fan has been running overnight.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
OP back once again. I took my batteries to Interstate and three cells were dead, two in one battery and a third in the other. “This never happens to new batteries” said the man behind the counter. Well it does to me. Batteries were replaced under warranty and are back on shore power. I also checked all of the cells with my newly purchased hydrometer and all’s well.

It’s 6:30 in the morning and I checked the battery voltage before turning on the lights or using any adding any elec load. I was hoping to see 13.2 float I’m at 13.6 absorption. No surprise however since the fantastic fan has been running overnight.
If your using the stock AS converter still, likely not going to see that fluctuation since they do not have that capability. That's why many of us have swapped out for the 4 stage units.

Interstate has been good in replacing my "new" batteries when they went out in my 2014 25' AS 3 months after taking delivery, and this past summer on my 2017 28' AS, 2 months after taking delivery. Bad cells in both cases. I got 100% trade in $$ value with the 2014 model, and purchased AGM's. Never had an issue going forward, and kept the stock controller. With the new 2017, I just swapped out the wetcells for 2 new ones and replaced the controller. No issues past 5 months since controller installed. May at some point, move up to 6V Golf Cart type but for now, these seem to be working well with the Boondocker converter i installed. Good luck with your new set up!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #28
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The new 2018 models now have a 4 stage converter in them; no need to "upgrade" -- snip --
So, GD - which is it? The 2018 controllers do or do not need to be upgraded? My prior comment was that what was installed works and you only need to upgrade when you want a converter with more capability like a high end solar control. However, now you say the 2018s don't have a float capability. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
So, GD - which is it? The 2018 controllers do or do not need to be upgraded? My prior comment was that what was installed works and you only need to upgrade when you want a converter with more capability like a high end solar control. However, now you say the 2018s don't have a float capability. Pat
There are several "experts" on the technology of these controllers and batteries here, but I am told by AS that the new controller in the 2018's is NOT a 4 stage unit. If you get a "kill switch" for your battery and watch the water level, your likely better off if you want to keep that unit. i would not switch out and pay the extra bucks to replace with the new one if is working for you, unless you are wanting to plug in and leave on shore power without having to worry about it. But, that's me. I know both the Boondocker and Progressive Dynamics model 4 stage converters seem to be pretty comparable in charging and maintaining your batteries. If you visit the website for bestconverter.com, there is a lot good information on how these 4 stage converters work. There is also information on the WFCO model now being offered in the 2018 AS's. Here is a link to the Progressive Dynamics explanation on batteries and how their technology mitigates the problems with charging in general.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/service/battery-basics/

In the end, there are lots of additional technology available to help monitor your battery even remotely with your smart phone...it's just money!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote