Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Why is half my Airstream without power?

I pulled into Buena Vista, CO this afternoon and hooked into a 30 amp receptacle as usual in this cool mountain country. I am in a 2011 FC, rear bedroom. The wife tells me the microwave won't work. I first checked the breakers and fuses and everything looked great. I then pulled the microwave and checked the receptacle into which it was plugged. No power! I then started checking receptacles throughout the trailer and found that none in the bedroom were "hot" either. All my GFCI receptacles are hot. I have 50 amp service in the trailer, but have been using my 30 amp cord, since it is easier to handle and we haven't needed even one A.C. since we arrived. That has worked fine in the campgrounds we have used so far. Any ideas what could be wrong? Could I have a bad breaker?

We will make do tonight, but I have two more weeks on this trip and we really need the microwave.

Thanks,

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Could be a couple of things.

First, I would either borrow or buy another 50A to 30A dogbone to see of the problem is in the connector. They typically power both legs of your 50 amp with 30 amp service.

Next, if you have 2 external shore power receptacles, you might have a bad contactor in the transfer switch.

If the second does not apply to your trailer, then I would place my bet on the first scenario.

Unless you are very familiar with 120 VAC, I would find a qualified service tech to test the system to find out why your 30A adapter is not energizing both legs of your 50A panel.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Why is half my Airstream without power?

What Lew said ...

A little more clarification. 50 amps is two hot legs, 4 prongs on the plug, 2 hot, 1 neutral/return, 1 ground; 30 amps is one hot leg, 3 prongs on the plug, 1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground - the plug adapter needs to make both normally hot legs hot or half your breaker panel will be dead.

A bad breaker is possible, but the plug is more likely.

If you have 2 shore power inlets, one regular and one for generator, try the other one not currently in use.

I'm a stationary engineer wannabe certifiable RV mechanic in my retirement.

Gerald
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Thanks for your prompt assistance, but......😄

I tried a new dog bone and no change. Don, the campground owner, came over to check on things and quickly got to the root of the problem. My 30 amp cord is new and I apparently had not inserted it fully into the trailer! A quick wiggle and a shove and problem solved. The Law of Parsimmony comes into play here, i.e, "The simplest answer is probably the correct one." I should have thought to check that plug first thing. Oh well; you live and learn! Thanks anyway.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Happens to the best of us.

They say as you get older memory is the second thing to go, I can't remember the first.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Happens to the best of us.

They say as you get older memory is the second thing to go, I can't remember the first.
"SEXABILITY"!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote