Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Why doesn't the lights work?

I have been getting our AS ready after a long winters nap. Have the batteries out because the bottom of the battery box is getting rather rusty. Have a piece from a nephew coming to fix it. Well, while cleaning up the interior, I decided to plug into shore power so we could (DW) clean up all the nooks and crannies. The only thing that worked was the microwave. What is my problem? Not having the batteries installed have anything to do with it? Could use some advice other than putting the batteries in and see if that fixes it. Hate to tote those HEAVY things and install just to check this out. And I would like to get the BB repaired first. Thanks!
airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Got a "use/store switch?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Got a "use/store switch?
Yes, but it too wasn't lit up.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You should be able to plug in and have electricity working with or without batteries. Do you have any blown fuses/tripped breakers?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
power to the battery side

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Got a "use/store switch?

Airforus
You may have to have power to the battery side to be able to get the "use/store switch" to work. Plugging it into shore power will not do it. You can use a jumper box or jumper cables to get power to your battery, and once you have power to the battery side of that switch then it will operate the "use/store switch". Then you can let the shore power charge your battery.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Have you checked the fuses sometimes they get loose. I know it was in storage however it possible that they worked themselves loose. I know mine have a few times. As you are on shore power have you also checked to make sure the main switch have not flipped
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Opps I did not see the earlier post regarding the breakers and fuzes
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Also, make sure that the battery connectors are not touching the trailer and shorting out the 12 volt output.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You should be able to plug in and have electricity working with or without batteries. Do you have any blown fuses/tripped breakers?
I do thank you for the advice. I accidentally kind of sprayed water into the trailer while trying to fill fresh water tank. Water everywhere including the breaker box. Have it all dried out now. Have to give another try. DW told me I should have waited and let her help with the filling up. But....you know how us guy's don't like to ask for directions or help until we make the booboo
Old 05-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforus View Post
I do thank you for the advice. I accidentally kind of sprayed water into the trailer while trying to fill fresh water tank. Water everywhere including the breaker box. Have it all dried out now. Have to give another try. DW told me I should have waited and let her help with the filling up. But....you know how us guy's don't like to ask for directions or help until we make the booboo

One of the great joys of the Airstream camping adventure for us is sharing all the setup and tear down work. Always good to have two sets of eyes on things.

Just curious - how did you get water inside the trailer trying to fill the fresh tank?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
One of the great joys of the Airstream camping adventure for us is sharing all the setup and tear down work. Always good to have two sets of eyes on things.

Just curious - how did you get water inside the trailer trying to fill the fresh tank?
The tube going to the fresh water take when we bought the AS looked as if it had been cut at the hose entrance area. Thus I have to stick the hose into that being careful not to miss the tube. It is free floating I guess is the best way to explain it. I don't know how to post pictures or I would do that so you could see what I mean....Vern
Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
I would get that repaired ASAP. Potential for a lot of trouble there!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote